Dallas Interview Experience

Interview this morning

My wife and I had our interviews this morning. It was fairly straight forward, except for one pointn (explained later).

The wife was called in within 5 minutes of us arriving (25 minutes ahead of time). I was called in 20 minutes ahead of my scheduled time. It pays to get there a little early.

The IO made me take the oath and then asked for the documents on the list and then went through every item in the application in painstaking detail.

He went through all the responses on the application -which I answered again

He checked trips with a couple of stamps on passport. I had three more trips, that I had updated on an additional sheet and handed that to him. He asked me why I had taken so many trips abroad and I mentioned it was requiored for my job. He seemed satisfied.

He went through my traffic citatrions and I showed him receipts for payments, defensive driving and the driving record - he made copies of all.

He asked me the civics questions and then the reading and writing of one sentence.

He made me sign the application inluding the oath part and also the photograph and then started to search through the docs and on his computrer screen. He eventually let me in on what he was looking for- a letter from my employer with my job description and an explanation of why I had to take so many trips abroad (Note - I was still within the continuous residency requirements, but still...). I am looking to mail him this today afternoon, so he can proceed with scheduling the oath. If not for this, he would probably have scheduled my oath today.

Teh wife is requesting a name change so her ceremony is not till Februaury. Her case was fairly straight forward, so she had no issues.

Civics questiosn asked us both -
- What was the ship on which the pilgrims first came to US
- Color of the stars
- What is the constitution
- How many total amendments are there
- Who was the first president of the US
- What are the two main political parties in the US
- Who did we fight the revolutionary war with?
- Why are there 100 senators

All the questions were from the list. Good Luck and hope this helps.

Note -They dont allow food, drink, cellphone or any recording device into office.

He asked me why I had taken so many trips abroad and I mentioned it was requiored for my job.

Hi disciple,

Could you please let us know what exactly he considered "so many trips"? I mean, were you traveling overseas every month for the last 5 years?

27 trips in 5 yrs, 7 months

Total number of days outside the US was 263.

I am not sure if it was the sheer number or the fact that the trips were all around the globe - ASIA-PAC, Japan, Europe, India, etc.

Regards,

Not sure why the number or destination of trips would matter as long as continuous residency is met. If the trips were not job related, should it really make a difference?

My wife lives abroad and I visit her every 2 weeks for 3 days- an instance where my travels are neither work related nor confined to a few. However, I don't see this as breaking continuous residency.

I really think this query about number of trips is unreasonable.

Not sure why the number or destination of trips would matter as long as continuous residency is met. If the trips were not job related, should it really make a difference?

I agree with you. As long as you don't spend 6 months (on a single trip) overseas, it should not matter if you travel for business or pleasure.
Of course there are the exceptions when people try to play the system (for instance coming back to the country for a week just before the 6-month period and then leaving again for another almost 6-month period).

The bottom line is: if you truly live here you should be able to easily prove it (paychecks, tax returns, mortgage/rent).

My wife lives abroad and I visit her every 2 weeks for 3 days- an instance where my travels are neither work related nor confined to a few. However, I don't see this as breaking continuous residency.

I really think this query about number of trips is unreasonable.

Thats a very naive viewpoint, and not one shared by most USCIS IOs.

Fact: if you make repeated long-ish trips to the same destination, you might give your IO the impression you were residing abroad and only "visiting" the US to maintain residence. This could be especially true if your wife lives abroad... Its all a matter of intent, and that is something very hard to prove. (Remember that the burden of proof always rests with the applicant to demonstrate they are eligible for N-400. USCIS can deny the case for a multitude of reasons, whether you agree with them or not.)

I make 10 to 14 day trips to canada every month to visit my wife for a total of 300 some days out of the country in the last 5 yrs. For the each of the last two years I have been out of the country approx 125 days.

I have not taken canadian green card or a job in canda and my wife intends to immigrate to the US eventually.

I have paychecks for my job in the US, apt rental history and tax returns for the last 5 yrs.

I think these should be reasons enough of my commitment to the US and respect for legal immigration path.

Oh Well, probably I will find out after the interview, if this holds true.

Last edited by a moderator:
July 25-2008, 2:00pm

I am just back from my interview at the INS center.
IO: Cynthia Kepp, awesome lady.

The process was very straightforward. No cellphones allowed at checkpoint. Keep them in your car.
Once inside, was given a pager, like the one at restaurants.
Took about 40 minute wait before I got called.
Once in the office, officer made sure she pronounces my name correctly. Made me say it too. Confirmed details like DOB, SSN, A#, address, home telephone#. Went through the checklist on N-400 about drugs, prositution and like. No to all those questions. Of course!
I had 3 traffic tickets. She asked me about them. Told her the details of what happened during each. Did not ask for any paperwork though, nor the fine amounts.
I had 2 memberships with software groups and PMI. Asked me what are these memberships about?
Made me speak a written sentence in English.
Told me to write down one. No problems.
Asked me the following civics questions:
1. Who is the VP?
2. Why are there 100 senators in the Congress?
3. Can the constitution be changed?
4. What is the National Anthem?

CONGRATULATIONS......you will receive a letter for the oath!

I had my interview today at Dallas Office. Before I submit details of the exp, i wanted to thank from bottom of my heart Johnnycash, vorpal and ghantabro. Becuase of them i was able to walk in with the feel that i am totally prepared even for the unknown.

My dates are below
TSC, Dallas
Mailed App: 06/17/08
Reciept Date: 06/19/08
FP Notice Date: 06/25/08
FP Date: 7/10/08
IL Date: 07/16/08
Interview: 08/26/08
Oath: 08/26/08

I recieved yellow letter requesting BC for me and my kids, passport and state id. Appt letter requested SSS, passport and green card.

My appt was at 12:25 PM. I walked in around 11 AM, there were about 20 people waiting, some for N400 but it appeared majority were for deportation procedings. Anyways, after i dropped by IL, i was called in around 11:15 AM. Officer was very friendly and asked me to relax. This gave me confidence and i raised my hand acknowledged and agreed to the oath. she was very sweet and friendly
She opened my file and went through to confirm if i had any changes since i applied. I had none and she asked me about my job. I gave her the info and she moved on. I informed her that i recieved additional yellow letter requesting BC and SSS. She informed me that she needed none of that as she doesn't see any issue with the file(She did not even look at it). All she checked was green card, state ID. Then she made me read, "Sky is blue" and write " I want to be a US Citizen". Then she asked me the following questions

1) How many stars on the flag?
2) Who is the president of US?
3) Who will become president if both president and VP die?
4)What is introduction to consitution called?

I can't remember the other 2.

She then asked me if i would like to take oath today(I was shocked) and i said yes. She gave me 2 letters, one saying congrats...passed exam and second was for oath at 2 PM. Whole thing last about 10 mts. SHe made me sign the photos and double checked my file and showed me the way out.

Entire oath took less than 1 hr and i was handed the certificate. It was an amazing experience. I am still in shock that all went so smooth. Anyways, I am glad that all went so smooth. For those who are waiting, be patient and all will be well.

Again thanks to every one in this forum especially Johnnycash, vorpal and ghantabro for providing such valuable info.

congratulations... amazing that you got oath same day.... I am still waiting on my oath letter.

Congrats, matrixlife! Talk about a superfast timeline! It's quite possible that you may have the fastest timeline on this forum.

Interesting. Id Vorpal applied on august 31, 2007 and is getting oath on September 9, 2008. In 1 year and 9 days.
Id matrixlife applied on June 17, 2008 and already got oath on August 26, 2008! In 2 months and 9 days.
It is a travesty. USCIS obviously played a bad joke on ID Vorpal and the rest of us who applied last year. How inefficient, unfair, this agency can be is transparent and clear.

chenwu, how's this for a travesty:

My application was placed in queue for interview on 1/30/08. All my background checks were cleared by 12/26/07. Numerous applicants from my DO who submitted their applications AFTER mine was placed in queue for interview received their interviews and oaths BEFORE I even received my IL. There are quite a few others on the NYC thread who applied at around the same time I did, but didn't receive their ILs until June/July. It's no secret that USCIS is inefficient, unorganized and unfair. 13 more days and I'll be done with them forever.

matrixlife, I'm definitely looking forward to the oath. From what I hear, the oath ceremony in Brooklyn (where mine is scheduled) lasts about 4 hours.

thanks to every one in this forum especially Johnnycash, vorpal and ghantabro for providing such valuable info.

Congratulation Matrix. It's nice to see that you have a decency and good gesture to appreciate this board and its members for whatever you help you got from here...You seem like a nice person. Good luck in your life.

Thanks Johnnycash. I have recieved comfidence from this board and its members, this is not something you can hire for $$$$. Irrespective of what people say or pass negative comments on others. I hope you will be able to continue to help other individuals as i have benifited immensly from you all. Good things will happen to good people and i hope all our thanks and blessings to you will benifit you and your family someday. Thank you again. I posted details just for those people who are waiting in Dallas DO or for those who are planning to apply. Not to create friction in this wonderful forum. If i caused heartburn to anybody then i am sorry.