Dad sponsors 54 year old daughter questions

military

Registered Users (C)
hi guys, my friend is 54 years old. Her dad is 88 years old and is a US citizen , he lives in Boston, MA.. they would file there.. What should they file so that she gets a green card and how long is the waiting time would be for her? Thank you so much!

yes she is married to a non US citizen.. So I130 fpr her right now? do you know the approximate waiting time?

For everyone born outside Mexico and the Philippines, about 8 years.

WOW thats a lot of time, can she live/work at the time her application is pending? What if it's other way around when a daughter sponsors a mom or a dad how long is the waiting period?

yeah I mean if daughter/son is 25 and is USC and sponsors his mom/dad.. the process would take a year? Why is it 8 years when dad sponsors daughter?

yeah I mean if daughter/son is 25 and is USC and sponsors his mom/dad.. the process would take a year? Why is it 8 years when dad sponsors daughter?

When a parent sponsors a married over-21 son or daughter, that application goes into the family-based 3rd preference category which has an annual quota and an existing backlog of 8 years. The immigrant son or daughter also cannot stay in the US during those 8 years, unless they have some other status (student visa, work visa) that keeps them legal.

But when an adult US citizen sponsors a parent, the parent is classified "immediate relative" for which there is no quota limitation or big backlog, and the parent can stay in the US while the process is pending.

Jackolantern, thanks a lot for clarifying things for me.. You guys know immigration law much better than some immigration attorneys.. Question: what if a son/daughter is over 21 and is not married? How long the waiting period would be then?

Jackolantern, thanks a lot for clarifying things for me.. You guys know immigration law much better than some immigration attorneys.. Question: what if a son/daughter is over 21 and is not married? How long the waiting period would be then?

That falls under Family Based 1st Preference, and the wait is 5 years, Mexico and Philippines excepted.

Take a look at any visa bulletin. That explains the different family categories and the wait times associated with them.

Considering the new movement in the visa bulletin i think that all this process is much faster now. Im in that category, 2 years after applying i receive Approval Notice and now im in the hands of the Bulletin which started to advance each month like 6 months in front. By this speed i should be able to apply for i485 and get the GC around 6 months to 1 year. In total 3 years Hoping :) I was just confused if im under the 1st family preference or 2b because im over 21 years old!!?? I hope im under 1st because is faster. Anyway i think that because some reasons all this process is faster than before.
By the way im from Europe( Because that matters too i think )
I hope this is like that and that i helped :)