Curious to know

andy505

Registered Users (C)
Suppose a person gets the US citizenship and his India born 15 year old son also becomes US citizen. The son is takes OCI. Later on at or after the age of 18 the son decides to leave the US citizenship avail Indian citizenship to live in India. At the age of 28 he wants to comeback to US. What would be the process? Will he be asked to re-apply the H1/F1etc and then posses GC or USC Parents can file an immigration petition to get him GC?

If he renounces US citizenship and takes up Indian citizenship, he will need visa to travel to India just like all non US people. He can apply for a GC if he is eligible. Why would someone want to do that? OCI allows you to live in India forever.

You would then have to sponsor your son as a relative, or he would have to follow procedure as if he never had US citizenship. Some countries have procedures for former citizens to reacquire citizenship, but I don't know of any such procedure for former US citizens who VOLUNTARILY gave up citizenship.

Ah, if there was just an easy way to enjoy cheap Indian higher education without giving up US citizenship... I don't think consular officials would look kindly upon such actions. There was already a topic about this, I am just too lazy to find it.

Ah, if there was just an easy way to enjoy cheap Indian higher education without giving up US citizenship...
I don't think consular officials would look kindly upon such actions.
There was already a topic about this, I am just too lazy to find it.
------I got PM about 3 years back that person was US citizen and he paid Rupees 10 thousand and got Birth certificate from some municipality in India and used that birth certificate to study in India and US passport for entry to US. He had posted that nobody ask about your passport when you study. I don’t know if that was truth but anything is possible in India if you bribe. FYI NRI/PIO easily gets admission to few engineering colleges have NRI quota. Many Bangladeshi Enter India and first get Ration Card by paying bribe then voter ID card and then passport and staying in India. Corruption rules India

There was already a topic about this, I am just too lazy to find it
*****Try to find that topic and I would like to read.
-------------------

-------Corruption rules India------------

I know, and I am not trying to defend it, but still...

Corruption is an equal opportunity provider, more than what you can do in many other places. The amount of money being asked is sometimes high, but not at the level of corruption in US, where only big companies get a say, and small folks do not. If you want a birth certificate and can pay 10K (200 USD), it gives you an opportunity you may otherwise not have. Sad, but works for people once you understand the system.

On the other hand, things will become more difficult in faking identity as the proposed National ID system comes into place. It will assign people numbers like Social Security Admin does in US. While I am sure you can still bribe people to get in, but once the whole population is covered, it will be very hard for a person, let us say Bangaldeshi, to declare he was always an Indian as there will not be any trace of that person in the systems, and very hard to explain why he is the only outlier who got missed out. While the government wants to implement this over the next 3-5 years, I would say it will take 10-20 years to be effective (having complete history, and reasonably covering everyone in country). But things are being planned to control some of this...