Cruise to Mexico on a passport card alone?

forumuser123

Registered Users (C)
My US passport is still stuck for OCI. So want to do a mexico cruise on passport card alone. Since passport card is fairly new, do these guys have enough awareness that passport card is ok or they behave like some dmv guys who refuse to accept it? Anyone with such experience?

My US passport is still stuck for OCI. So want to do a mexico cruise on passport card alone. Since passport card is fairly new, do these guys have enough awareness that passport card is ok or they behave like some dmv guys who refuse to accept it? Anyone with such experience?

What is the passport card?

The passport card is the wallet-size travel document that can only be used to re-enter the United States at land border-crossings and sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. The card provides a less expensive, smaller, and convenient alternative to the passport book for those who travel frequently to these destinations by land or by sea.

The passport card is indeed fairly new, but the cruise company and Mexican officials are well aware of it because it was intended to replace passport book exactly for such kinds of trips. Also, DMV agencies are different too - my passport card was always accepted in Washington state, but I had some issues in California even though both are border states.

Hopefully the cruise guys are fully aware. Unfortunately I experienced more incompetence than smooth execution in most cases when it comes to immigration

Let me guess... some of the Caribbean countries do not recognise the passport card as a valid travel document?

Isn't the passport card EXACTLY for this purpose? Ridiculous. Waste of $30 eh?
The card is for the purpose of returning to the USA by land or by sea from such cruises. The US Department of State guarantees that it will be accepted by the CBP, it does not guarantee that the card will be accepted by foreign governments.

I thought they sat around with the different entities in the Western Hemisphere and decided on such matters. Morons.

When on a Carribean Cruise the only time your passport is checked is when you enter the USA. Entering most of the Carribean countries they could not care less about your nationality. It is the cruise lines responsibility to provide ship manifest. I have done the Carribean Cruise but I never ordered a passport card. I might apply for one because it is handy for use traveling to Canada. It would be very handy if you do an Alaskan Cruise too and you have a stop over at Vancouver or travel inland in to the Yucans.

I thought they sat around with the different entities in the Western Hemisphere and decided on such matters. Morons.