Crap!! 1 year Drivers License...

Lazerthegreat

Registered Users (C)
Hey Guys! Here is another crap for being an Asylee. I recently moved to state of Missouri for a job and applied for license. I brought everything with me: Soc Sec Card (unmarked), Asylum I-94, Asylum Approval, RTD.
The lady did not know even know what asylum is but sent my application to Jeferson City (Capitol of state of MO). She causually mentioned that I would not get a 6 years license as citizens get but one year. I thought she is an ignorant person and head office would know better..

But today I received a Missouri Drivers license with One year validity. They said that because my RTD expires in one year, I should be given that time frame (My asylum approval says "indefinite" how about that).... I am going to that damn office tomorrow and ask her if she ever had a US passport. She says yes... I would say it expires after 10 years.. she would say yes.. I would say "Bitch get out of America... you are not a Citizen of USA anymore)....

Somebody on this forum wrote a while back a phone # in Washington DC to call and they help asylees get Soc Security cards and Driver licenses? Does any body have that number? Please give to me... I am really disgusted from all this Bull Shit.... Anybody plz

I do not know anything specific about MO. I do know that in a number of other states asylees are treated as permanent residents for licensing purposes. The REAL ID Act also makes this recognition.

You need to research MO laws and regulations.

Last edited by a moderator:
...Lazer...same problem here

I live in New Jersey and got a driver license for 1 year and 3 months, I know there is a law about that but I did not found it.
I was told that you should NOT show your RTD and the work permit when you get your driver license, they think that the status ends with the document expire, they are really stupid....
Try to find any social support asociation for asylees in your area, they could help you, in new york they gave me a letter explaining that we have the right to get an unrestricted driver license, but I moved later to NJ.
don't give up.

What I do know about this is anytime you apply for a DL in any state,never show up with any close expiring document,like work autorization or RTD.Ladies from most of offices don't know much about immigrants status.US citizenship and US PR are the only two status people know.That's why you see even applying for job,most of employers ask if your are a citizen or a PR.Only an asylee and an immigration officer know asylum status is not an expiring status.The rest of people don't know this issue.That's why it's really tough to convince someone about this.

I too am in Missouri and that woman does not know what the hell she is talking about. Heres a link to the regulations pertaining to a lisence in Missouri.
Print these out and take these back to the damn office and educate these ignorant morons on their own regualtions. I am a permanent resident and for refugees and asylees it works the exact same. Just because we have an expiry on our documents DOES NOT MEAN we have lost our status. You show her their regs and tell them you want your license fixed.

Scroll down and you will see ID requirements for every type of visa. Says right on there that our status does not expire no matter what the expiry date is on our documents.

http://www.dor.state.mo.us/mvdl/drivers/idrequirements.pdf

grunggy said:
I too am in Missouri and that woman does not know what the hell she is talking about. Heres a link to the regulations pertaining to a lisence in Missouri.
Print these out and take these back to the damn office and educate these ignorant morons on their own regualtions. I am a permanent resident and for refugees and asylees it works the exact same. Just because we have an expiry on our documents DOES NOT MEAN we have lost our status. You show her their regs and tell them you want your license fixed.

Scroll down and you will see ID requirements for every type of visa. Says right on there that our status does not expire no matter what the expiry date is on our documents.

http://www.dor.state.mo.us/mvdl/drivers/idrequirements.pdf

grunggy! that is exactly I showed that lady. This document basically says that "yes Asylee can have license". And that was the answer that stupid gave me when I showed her this document.

Lazer, as Cadel said, the RTD you showed to them trigger them treat you as applicants with other pending case such as marriage or employment. It doesn't mean that you made a mistake, only means that they are stupid.

Lazerthegreat said:
Hey Guys! Here is another crap for being an Asylee. I recently moved to state of Missouri for a job and applied for license. I brought everything with me: Soc Sec Card (unmarked), Asylum I-94, Asylum Approval, RTD.......

I am sorry for you, but this is your fault, the document clearly says you need social security plus I-94 or RTD or Emplyment authorization. Why you showed more than the neccesary documents?

You know how people in the US know nothing about asylees. Do not confuse them. Sorry again. If I were you I will try again, but just show SS and I-94. And if they do not accept that, then show the requirement list you have. Good luck.

I also changed my I-94 to a indefinite, so I was hoping that they would give me a 4 year license in New Jersey, but they gave me a 1 year and 3 months one instead.
When I tried to protest I was told that because my document says "indefinite" I'm obliged to come there every 3 months and show my papers, but they will be do me a favor and give me a 1 year 3 months license.
There is no use fighting the stupid system!

karina said:
I was told that because my document says "indefinite" I'm obliged to come there every 3 months and show my papers, but they will be do me a favor and give me a 1 year 3 months license.

Truly, the best piece of stupidity I've ever heard from DMV!

I Renew my DL from NYC and they give me DL for 8 years--Although my DL expire March 2006 but they issue me a new DL until 20014 without asking anything and any document. I just have to pass Eye test only. I think NYC is more helpfull to Immigrant then any other States.
Good luck to everyone.

I share My Experience Guys..
I was frustrated about this issue. I renewed my License 3 times in 3 years the shortest I got was for 3 months as my H1 Visa was expiring in 3 months and the extension was in Process when I got that. Even recently I went in for renewal with I551 stamp on the Passport and they discussed about giving it for only one year. But the lady over the DMV couldnt figure out how to do that, since the software was not letting her change the date. So to cover up she just issued that for the max time of 4 years. I was so releived because this was the first full 4 year driving license I had in 7 years... and again compared to other bigger issues we are facing due to retrogression and what not.. I think this is a very little issue we can live with....

to solovei

"catholic charities in new york city", 12th floor, refugees and asylees department....just go and talk to a social worker, they will help you, they will give you a letter.
look on the internet the address, I know is first or second avenue and fifty something.

good luck

karina

I have the same problem, I tried to fight back but nobody helped me out, they gave me the license for 1 year and three months, I think it is better in NYC

solovei

Try to get the six point without the EAD and RTD, if you can't do it, so make sure to take a letter explaining the law, and if you get a restricted license, fight back, I know many asylees in NYC with unrestricted driver license.

guacho said:
Try to get the six point without the EAD and RTD, if you can't do it, so make sure to take a letter explaining the law, and if you get a restricted license, fight back, I know many asylees in NYC with unrestricted driver license.

guacho! where are you in MO? I know someone who is refugee in St louis and she got 6 years license.

lazer...

I live in jersey city , NJ but I used to live in new york, and things work better for asylees over there, better chance to get unrestricted driver license and there are more organizations that help asylees.

Well said.

Working permit and RTD are not status proofing documents. They don't help any but making damages.

These idiots working for uncle Sam do not want to learn anything. They enjoy living in such a status.

cadel said:
What I do know about this is anytime you apply for a DL in any state,never show up with any close expiring document,like work autorization or RTD.Ladies from most of offices don't know much about immigrants status.US citizenship and US PR are the only two status people know.That's why you see even applying for job,most of employers ask if your are a citizen or a PR.Only an asylee and an immigration officer know asylum status is not an expiring status.The rest of people don't know this issue.That's why it's really tough to convince someone about this.