• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Country where you live today?

irishali

Hi guys,

So I want to fill out the application for the DV 2010 lottery. I'm Irish, but live in Italy as I'm finishing my degree there. However, I'm currently in the US on an exchange program. For the question 'country where you live today' should I put down Italy, or because I'm technically in the US should I put that down though I wouldn't really say I live here as I'm only here for a semester?

Thanks for your help!

I don't think this would have too much bearing.
What postal address are you putting down - your irish one, your italian one or your US one?
where will you be in a year's time?

I agree with capatainwomble. Just think of when the interviews start (after summer 2009), so only you know where you will be by that time. If you're unsure, I would put Ireland. It's always easier to go back to your country of residence/birth (or the place you have a passport of). Just think of how rapidly the world can change in a couple of days (9/11, etc.), and how that might affect your ability to go to a certain place in order to get a green card. There's no place like home ;)

Does that have any effect on the application or is it just to have the relevant consulate interview you?

It doesn't. You qualify for the lottery based on your country of birth, not the current country of residence. So yes, it is merely an administrative matter of the right consulate contacting you for the interview. I would never do AOS if on a temporary visa in the US, unless you can be absolutely sure your current visa will not be canceled in the meantime, or that the whole process takes longer than you had anticipated and your visa runs out. As I said, it's always easier to get back to the comfort of your own home, where you generally have more friends and family to fall back on in case something goes wrong.

Ok, so now I'm a bit confused. I don't think I should put the US as I'll only be here until December and I wouldn't say I 'live' here anyway. I expect to be in Italy until June, so should I put that? But if I was lucky enough to win the lottery I would prefer if my interview was in Dublin, Ireland and will be putting my Dublin address as my correspondence address. Also being new to this what does AOS stand for?

Ok, so now I'm a bit confused. I don't think I should put the US as I'll only be here until December and I wouldn't say I 'live' here anyway. I expect to be in Italy until June, so should I put that? But if I was lucky enough to win the lottery I would prefer if my interview was in Dublin, Ireland and will be putting my Dublin address as my correspondence address. Also being new to this what does AOS stand for?

Don't worry about AOS - it won't apply to you.

Remember, DV2010 interviews start from October 2009, so if you're not going to be in Italy between October2009 and September2010 then don't bother bringing the italian element into things.
If I were you I'd put down the Dublin address, however I'm not sure you can do your interview in Dublin. Think you might have to travel to London for it.

Don't worry about AOS - it won't apply to you.

Remember, DV2010 interviews start from October 2009, so if you're not going to be in Italy between October2009 and September2010 then don't bother bringing the italian element into things.
If I were you I'd put down the Dublin address, however I'm not sure you can do your interview in Dublin. Think you might have to travel to London for it.

Interesting one this. Just to confuse you a bit more, maybe it is the US depending really on what visa you using and possibly how long you are going to be there for. If its more than 6 months there will be the issue of police reports etc. If not US then it should be Italy. It possibly may not actually matter at the end as it may be one of those things that they are collecting just for their statitics

Hi Where you live today is where you'll be assigned to do your cp incase you're selected! .I think Italy should be ok and be sure you're reachable with the address you'll give.I gave my permanent home address!

Interesting one this. Just to confuse you a bit more, maybe it is the US depending really on what visa you using and possibly how long you are going to be there for. If its more than 6 months there will be the issue of police reports etc. If not US then it should be Italy. It possibly may not actually matter at the end as it may be one of those things that they are collecting just for their statitics

He (it might be a girl, but I'm using 'he') could put down the italian address and then, if he wins he could inform the KCC of the address change next June when he moves back to ireland (or wherever).

I personally would still put down the irish address, though as it's the least amount of hassle and I don't think whatever address he puts down will have a material difference to his application.

You need to fill in Ireland/Dublin, and Add the American Embassy in Ballsbridge for your preferred consulate, and your home address in Ireland for correspondence.
Don’t forget that the American embassy in Ireland will be very familiar with Irish applicants, and the required documentation.
An American embassy in Italy may have different procedures, and may not be as familiar with the relevant Irish documentation. I am sure you could do your interview in Italy but it would just complicate matters for you to be honest.
While you currently live in Italy, you are only there for education reasons, so you should think of your self as just being temporarily out of Ireland.

FYI there was about a 1/50 chance of being selected in DV2008, the year I won, in case you were wondering about your chances! Best of Luck :)