Continuous Residence Confusion

astrochimp

Registered Users (C)
Pardon my ignorance...

I understand that when you travel outside the US you shouldnt exceed your travel to 180 days to not break your continuous residence. But there are websites and other people who says differently. Some websites stating that you can only be outside the US for less than 180 days EACH TRIP in a year to not break your continuous residence. In 2010 I spent outside the US twice with less than 180 days each trip. Will this give me headache in applying for citizenship? Thanks a lot

Pardon my ignorance...

I understand that when you travel outside the US you shouldnt exceed your travel to 180 days to not break your continuous residence. But there are websites and other people who says differently. Some websites stating that you can only be outside the US for less than 180 days EACH TRIP in a year to not break your continuous residence. In 2010 I spent outside the US twice with less than 180 days each trip. Will this give me headache in applying for citizenship? Thanks a lot

Even if each absence is less than 180 days, back-to-back absences may result in your being asked for evidence to show you maintained your "residence" in the United States. If you worked abroad during those absences, it's a particular negative for your naturalization application.

Can you name these evidence that will tie me to US while away? I have bills that I pay here and there while away. I have bank account(s) that I sometimes use even when away. I have credit cards that also used. Could these be good evidence? Also, I didnt work abroad I was out of the US for my health reason and school. Thanks for the time.

Utility bills, car and house payments and deeds, registration, driving licence, bank accounts and credit cards, tax filing, and whatever else a resident does. Can you post the exact dates of your trips? Do you have other trips in the last few years? Your whole pattern, if possible, would be good for us to help you. What was the trip for? Work? Family emergency? For an emergency, proof of this would also be good. You will not necessarily have trouble because of your trips. It also depends on the person interviewing and reviewing your application.

Utility bills, car and house payments and deeds, registration, driving licence, bank accounts and credit cards, tax filing, and whatever else a resident does. Can you post the exact dates of your trips? Do you have other trips in the last few years? Your whole pattern, if possible, would be good for us to help you. What was the trip for? Work? Family emergency? For an emergency, proof of this would also be good. You will not necessarily have trouble because of your trips. It also depends on the person interviewing and reviewing your application.

I was out of the country from 03/2010 to 09/2010 less than 180 days. Then again in 11/2010 to 04/2011 thats also less than 180 days. No prior trip after that. As for the evidence that you mentioned im pretty sure i can provide them all. The trip was for my health reason its pretty personal that i dont think its necessary anyway to talk about it. Thanks for the time.

Health reasons are generally compelling. Proof of that would be good for the IO. No need to talk about them here. Did you work abroad?

I probably can ask some kind of letter from my doctor regarding my health and why i had to take that trip. I cant think of any thing else to ask my doctor besides that. If you have any idea let me know what to provide so i could have them on time. Thanks. And no i didnt work abroad but i was looking for school just so not to waste time. Thanks man.

I probably can ask some kind of letter from my doctor regarding my health and why i had to take that trip. I cant think of any thing else to ask my doctor besides that. If you have any idea let me know what to provide so i could have them on time. Thanks. And no i didnt work abroad but i was looking for school just so not to waste time. Thanks man.

When did you get your greencard (the date is on the card) and what code is on your card?

Can you name these evidence that will tie me to US while away? ...
Evidence showing you maintained your place to reside in the United States during those times when you were away. Examples for such evidence may be: rental contracts, proof of rent payments, or mortgage payments if you are the owner of that residence, and utility bills on your name, etc.

Evidence showing you maintained your place to reside in the United States during those times when you were away. Examples for such evidence may be: rental contracts, proof of rent payments, or mortgage payments if you are the owner of that residence, and utility bills on your name, etc.

Thanks a lot bea

And how is that gonna help me with my case?

Seeing that you are so clueless, such information may reveal avenues of inquiry and/or opportunity that you never considered. However, since you are so paranoid that you are afraid to provide useful information even in an anonymous forum, I will leave you on your own to flounder.