Contacting First Lady

Vorpal

Registered Users (C)
Can anyone suggest the proper address for contacting the First Lady? Is it the White House address on her web site? Also, she doesn't seem to have a standard privacy act release form on her website. Would it be acceptable to type one up?

Should I contact any other politicians to inquire about immigration matters, besides the Congressman and Senators?

Can anyone suggest the proper address for contacting the First Lady? Is it the White House address on her web site? Also, she doesn't seem to have a standard privacy act release form on her website. Would it be acceptable to type one up?

Should I contact any other politicians to inquire about immigration matters, besides the Congressman and Senators?

Vorpal, I saw this recently answered in the lawsuit sticky:

http://immigrationportal.com/showpost.php?p=1895147&postcount=16390

Given how long these things can take, you might want to send a letter to Michelle Obama too. ;)

Haha, I highly doubt the politicians' involvement will actually compel the USCIS to do anything, but I figured that now is as good a time as any to start gathering paperwork. ;)

Vorpal,
You are the best in this forum,and i am just as frustrated as you are. i have contacted my congressman, Ms.Hillary, and the First Lady about two months ago but no answer what's so ever.
Do u really thing that these politicians care about you or me?or even spare a second out of their time to do something is there is no compensation for them?
They are heartless just the way uscis is.
anyway, i went for an infopass this week, spoke with an officer at window 45 (NYC).i said to her my name check was done why am i waiting for so long? she said nothing i can tell you. she then printed something and went to get a supervisor.
he first asked me about my green card i said i didn't bring it with me, then he lectured me about it that i have to carry it with me blah blah....
he said the reason my case is taking so long because i have to wait five years and not three years for my cintizenship. i explained to him that my case is different i get my green card through the violence act against women(vawa) and per uscis memorendum i am entiteled to naturalize in three years. he said there is no such thing(wow ignorance), i then asked him if i can come back and bring him a copy of that memo, he said no.
at the end i played as if i was damb i said to him my lawyer is the one who said that to me if you can give me something in writing to show him he again said i can't.
Go figure now, what kind of education do these people get from uscis??? if i wasn't eligible to file for citizenship why would vsc issue a case number and accept my application?????
Finally, you know Vorpal one solution i am thinking of: get a group of lawyers who can handel most of our cases together we all pay for that and let them file a group WOM.
what do you think?

Vorpal,
You are the best in this forum,and i am just as frustrated as you are. i have contacted my congressman, Ms.Hillary, and the First Lady about two months ago but no answer what's so ever.
Do u really thing that these politicians care about you or me?or even spare a second out of their time to do something is there is no compensation for them?
They are heartless just the way uscis is.
anyway, i went for an infopass this week, spoke with an officer at window 45 (NYC).i said to her my name check was done why am i waiting for so long? she said nothing i can tell you. she then printed something and went to get a supervisor.
he first asked me about my green card i said i didn't bring it with me, then he lectured me about it that i have to carry it with me blah blah....
he said the reason my case is taking so long because i have to wait five years and not three years for my cintizenship. i explained to him that my case is different i get my green card through the violence act against women(vawa) and per uscis memorendum i am entiteled to naturalize in three years. he said there is no such thing(wow ignorance), i then asked him if i can come back and bring him a copy of that memo, he said no.
at the end i played as if i was damb i said to him my lawyer is the one who said that to me if you can give me something in writing to show him he again said i can't.
Go figure now, what kind of education do these people get from uscis??? if i wasn't eligible to file for citizenship why would vsc issue a case number and accept my application?????
Finally, you know Vorpal one solution i am thinking of: get a group of lawyers who can handel most of our cases together we all pay for that and let them file a group WOM.
what do you think?

You're 100% correct. The only reason I contacted the politicians is to demonstrate to the judge that I have taken all reasonable steps to solve the problem before resorting to a WOM. Even if I don't receive a reply from anyone, I still have the fax confirmations that prove that I faxed my requests to their respective offices. In fact, lack of response could actually help the case, as it will demonstrate that I had no choice but to file a WOM, since even the local politicians ignored my requests for help.

I've had an informal chat with a local immigration attorney a couple of days ago, and he said that the projected processing timeframes have no legal validity, especially due to their ambiguous wording. Based on a case that nyc_naturalizer posted in the NYC thread yesterday, I'm giving it exactly a year before filing a WOM. If you still haven't received your IL by the end of August, let's start looking for a competent attorney. A group WOM sounds like a good idea.

Ghantabro, if you don't mind what is really holding up your case? i am on the same boat like you i filled in Jan 2007, name check and FP are cleared. the response i get lately form vsc is my background investigation is pending.
what's the difference between namce check and background investigation?? i believe the name check is done by the fbi and background is done by uscis and they can hold someones application forever.

Ghantabhai, you might, at this point, be better off filing another N400. What is your DO?

There was an interesting decision rendered in favor of plaintiff this week in a naturalization delay case. In his case though the background check was still pending four years after having received interview:

SARBAST ABDULLAH ALI, Plaintiff, v. MICHAEL B. MUKASEY, et. al., Defendants.

No. 07-0448-CV-W-NKL

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE WESTERN DISTRICT OF MISSOURI, WESTERN DIVISION

2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 38655

May 13, 2008, Decided
May 13, 2008, Filed

OPINION

ORDER
Plaintiff Sarbast Ali ("Ali"), a citizen of Iraq, requests that this Court either naturalize him or compel Defendants Michael B. Mukasey, Attorney General; Michael Chertoff, Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security; Emilio T Gonzales, Director of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS); Michael Jaromin, Director of the Kansas City Office of USCIS; and Robert S. Mueller, III, Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, to immediately [*2] adjudicate his naturalization application. 1 Ali moves for summary judgment [Doc. # 24], while the Government provided the following response to the second "show cause" order entered in this case:

In response to the multitude of cases like the one presently pending before the Court, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services ("USCIS"), a defendant herein, has requested that the Department of Justice discontinue raising objections to subject matter jurisdiction. Moreover, in all pending cases, such as the case before the Court, the USCIS is asking the FBI to expedite the name check clearance for the aliens. To that end, the defendants request that the Court remand this matter to the USCIS so that the case may be adjudicated upon receipt of the FBI's expedited name check.
[Doc. # 27]. This Court now grants summary judgment for Ali. The case is remanded to USCIS with instructions.

I. Facts
On October 17, 2003, Ali filed his Form N-400 Application for Naturalization. He was interviewed on June 7, 2004, and successfully passed both the English language [*3] and the history and government tests. Despite the passing of over 46 months since Ali's interview, USCIS has yet to adjudicate his application.

II. Standard
Summary judgment is proper if the evidence, viewed in the light most favorable to the nonmoving party, indicates there is no genuine issue of material fact and the moving party is entitled to judgment as a matter of law. See Castillo v. Ridge, 445 F.3d 1057, 1060 (8th Cir. 2006) (citing Gipson v. I.N.S., 284 F.3d 913, 916 (8th Cir.2002)). In the present case, the parties essentially agree to the material facts, making summary judgment appropriate. See W.S.A., Inc. v. Liberty Mut. Ins. Co., 7 F.3d 788, 790-91 (8th Cir. 1993) (citing Coca-Cola Bottling Co. of St. Louis v. Teamsters Local Union No. 688, 959 F.2d 1438, 1440 (8th Cir. 1992)).

III. Discussion
The Government evidently concurs that 8 U.S.C. § 1447(b) vests this Court with subject matter jurisdiction. (Doc. 27); see also Patel v. Gonzales, No. 07-0083, 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 70801, 2007 WL 2811470, at *2-*4 (W.D. Mo. Sept. 24, 2007); Salah v. Gonzales, No. 07-0144, 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 78022, 2007 WL 3094228, at *2-*3 (W.D. Mo. Oct. 19, 2007); Ibrahim v. Gonzales, No. 07-3099, 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 77641, 2007 WL 3072170, at *2-*4 (W.D. Mo. Oct. 18, 2007). Almost [*4] four years have passed since Ali completed his interview and tests; the Government is clearly in violation of § 1447(b)'s 120- day time frame.

The Government requests that the case be remanded to USCIS without instructions regarding the background check, relying on the USCIS's representation that it has requested the FBI to "expedite the name check clearance for the aliens." It is not clear who the Government includes when referring to "the aliens." However, the Government has not provided any evidence upon which this Court may deny the relief requested specifically and individually by Ali. The Government did not file a response to Ali's motion for summary judgment, but rather a cursory response to this Court's "show cause" order of April 1, 2008. (Doc. 26). This Court has noted the Government's similar conduct in 1447(b) cases before. See Kilani v. Gonzalez, 2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 12946 (W.D. Mo. Feb. 21, 2008); Zhu v. Chertoff, 525 F. Supp. 2d 1098, 1099 n. 1 (W.D. Mo. 2007). Because the Government has not provided any support for why it has failed to comply with § 1447(b)'s requirements in this case, summary judgment is granted in favor of Ali. Further, under the individual circumstances [*5] presented here, the Court remands this matter to the USCIS with instructions to make a decision on Plaintiff's application within 30 days of receiving a completed background check from the FBI and that the FBI complete the name check process within 60 days this Order. See Zhu, 525 F. Supp. 2d at 1102; Salah, 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 78022, 2007 WL 3094228, at *4; Ibrahim, 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 77641, 2007 WL 3072170, at *8; Alhamedi v. Gonzales, No. 07-2541, 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 39601, 2007 WL 1573935, at * 4 (S.D.N.Y. May 30, 2007).

IV. Conclusion
Accordingly, it is hereby

ORDERED that Plaintiff Sarbast Abdullah Ali's Motion for Summary Judgment [Doc. # 24] is GRANTED and the above-captioned case REMANDED to USCIS with the following instructions: (1) The FBI shall complete Ali's background security check and report the results to the USCIS within 60 days of the date of this Order; and (2) the USCIS shall complete its adjudication of Plaintiff's Form N-400 application within 30 days of receiving the FBI security check. Upon completion of the adjudication, the USCIS shall promptly file an affidavit demonstrating compliance. The Court retains jurisdiction over the matter in the interim to ensure that the USCIS complies with this Order.

/s/ Nanette K. Laughrey

NANETTE K. LAUGHREY

United [*6] States District Judge

DATE: May 13, 2008

Kansas City, Missouri

Interesting. So even after the interview, there is a name check stage?

Nope. Previously, USCIS used to do all their processing including Interviews when the background checks are being done. Nowadays, they do not schedule the interview until it is done. Thats my understanding.

Vorpal,
I don't want to dissuade you from filing a WOM, but are you going to wait to file a WOM until after your priority date is beyond the processing time that appears on the USCIS web site. I just honestly think that you may be wasting your time since according to the April 15 timeline, the NYC DO is processing N-400 cases filed on or before May 15.

Vorpal,
I don't want to dissuade you from filing a WOM, but are you going to wait to file a WOM until after your priority date is beyond the processing time that appears on the USCIS web site. I just honestly think that you may be wasting your time since according to the April 15 timeline, the NYC DO is processing N-400 cases filed on or before May 15.

May 28, actually. I hear what you're saying, but I doubt that their posted timeframes come into play anymore, especially when it comes to judicial purposes. I'm waiting to file until my application turns 1 year old; in other words, I plan on filing in September. Considering the fact that there's an official document that projects summer 2007 applications to take 10 months to process by September 2008 (a bunch of nonsensical gibberish, if you ask me...if it'll take 10 months by September 2008, doesn't that mean that they'll be processing November 2007 applications?), my application will allready be outside of the projected timeframe. That seems sufficient to file a WOM, especially when I include the retrogressions as part of the exhibit section.

May 28, actually. I hear what you're saying, but I doubt that their posted timeframes come into play anymore, especially when it comes to judicial purposes. I'm waiting to file until my application turns 1 year old; in other words, I plan on filing in September. Considering the fact that there's an official document that projects summer 2007 applications to take 10 months to process by September 2008 (a bunch of nonsensical gibberish, if you ask me...if it'll take 10 months by September 2008, doesn't that mean that they'll be processing November 2007 applications?), my application will allready be outside of the projected timeframe. That seems sufficient to file a WOM, especially when I include the retrogressions as part of the exhibit section.

Of course, I meant the 28th. It makes sense what you are saying.

Ghantabro, if you don't mind what is really holding up your case? i am on the same boat like you i filled in Jan 2007, name check and FP are cleared. the response i get lately form vsc is my background investigation is pending.
what's the difference between namce check and background investigation?? i believe the name check is done by the fbi and background is done by uscis and they can hold someones application forever.

I am stuck in namecheck too.... I think namecheck is one of the steps in background check.

Hi GhantaBro,

Not realated to your N400 but indirectly, yes, it is related - at least according to your timeline.

According to your time line, it has been 592 calendar days since your N400 Priority Date and by the 537th day you lost 53% of your hair. It seems like you are losing hair at the rate of 0.000987% a day. By the end of today your hair loss should have been 58.43%. Man, I hope USCIS acts before we have 1 and 0's. Pleaes dont take it otherwise. I am just joking...although wish you well.

It may not help at all, but...

when one is desperate to find a way out, he should try everything. The majority of elected officials I contacted did not even bother to answer. Those who answered may not be able to offer any help (particularly when it comes to the infamous name check). Nevertheless, many of us do it for one reason or another, to get some real information rather than the useless information repeatedly heard at InfoPass appointments, or to get a paper trail for WOM later, just to name two.