Consolidated NSC I-485 Tracker

I140 Substitution

I have AOS filed on an approved I140 (EB2, PD: Oct/2006). I have another LC Subtituted 140 (EB2, PD: 02/2002) pending at NSC since Jan/2007, that may be approved soon. What is the process of replacing the new PD I140 to Old PD I140 for the applied AOS (I485) applications? What form # etc. is needed?

Thanks in Advance.

When will I get Notice Date

User name: Chicagodol
Priority Date: 03/2004
Retrogressed (Y/N):Y
EB-1 / EB-2 / EB-3: EB-2
I-140 Receipt Date:
I-140 Approval Date:09/10/2006
I-485 Receipt Date:07/27/2007
LIN number ??
Finger Print Notice Date:??
Finger Print Appointment Date:??
I-485 Approval Date ??

As you can understand, these are unusual times at USCIS, with all the flood of petitions.

Your guess is as good or better than mine. I'll guess Sept. 6th.

Quick question!

There is 200k application without 140 approval, this is including july filers.

there is lot of chnace for those who got their I-140 approved, even their PD '2006.

you can see people getting approved PD'2005 EB2 cases, even then VB says now 2004'apr for EB2. Now they are not looking into any PD now.

- satish

Satish:

How do you know that there are 200,000+ cases without approval for I-140? Any official conformation for this? Just curious to know, I appriciate your time.
Good luck to you. Thanks.

Newbee to the tracker

User name: rajaxy
Priority Date: 05/2002
Retrogressed (Y/N):N
EB-1 / EB-2 / EB-3: EB-2
I-140 Receipt Date:
I-140 Approval Date:05/31/2007
I-485 Receipt Date:06/20/2007
LIN number: LIN-07188-XXXXX
Finger Print Notice Date:07/09/2007
Finger Print Appointment Date:07/20/2007??
I-485 Approval Date: ??
LUD:07/23/07

Looks like this is the ultimate 485 tracking thread for NSC. Since, I am a newbie to the 485 process can someone:
give me a general outline of 485 process i.e. if you are not stuck in name-check do they call you for an interview? What happens at the interview? What kind of questions? Also, what documents do they ask you to bring? What traps to expect when they call you for an interview? If you do pass the interview do they place a stamp in passport there and then or do you need to mail the passports? From that point how long does it take to get the physical card?

Also, anyone has experience with calling NSC for status updates? Do they respond with useful info or is it just mostly boilerplate responses?

BTW, how reliable is the tracker in trackitt.com? I see 485 approvals for cases filed in Mar '07. Is that right?

card production ordered

Just got an email. Holy cow. Long wait is over for me.

Case History:

EB2-ROW
PD: 10/2002
I-140/I485 concurrent filing: 08/2006
FP: 10/2006
I-140 AD: 06/2007
I-485 medicals RFE 06/2007, replied 07/2007, CO 08/23/2007

Your I-485 first goes to the mailroom
It is then sorted for INS file review
then goes to Central Index system
then Date Entry
they then send you letter asking you to go to a ASC for fingerprints and ID pictures to be taken
This is where the wait can take a long time :
You go through a criminal background check through the
Interagency Border Inspection System (IBIS) - usually a week to clear
fingerprint throught the FBI - clears in 24 to 48 hours if no record
FBI name check - 80 % clear in 3 weeks
19 % in 6 months
1 % more than 6 months ( may take years)
Once name check cleared
your file goes to file maintenance
Then workload distribution divided into
RFE - request for evidence (if needed)
pre-adjudication if your priority date based on your labor cert is current with the VISA cut off date for your category (EB-2)
Then Adjudication wheter to approve or intend to deny.
Take note if your are the unlucky 20 % it may take months to years before your case can move pending name check clearance

Looks like this is the ultimate 485 tracking thread for NSC. Since, I am a newbie to the 485 process can someone:
give me a general outline of 485 process i.e. if you are not stuck in name-check do they call you for an interview? What happens at the interview? What kind of questions? Also, what documents do they ask you to bring? What traps to expect when they call you for an interview? If you do pass the interview do they place a stamp in passport there and then or do you need to mail the passports? From that point how long does it take to get the physical card?

Also, anyone has experience with calling NSC for status updates? Do they respond with useful info or is it just mostly boilerplate responses?

BTW, how reliable is the tracker in trackitt.com? I see 485 approvals for cases filed in Mar '07. Is that right?

My 1485 was received by NSC on Jan 8th 2007
My i140 was approved on August 2007( both I140 &485 were filed concurrently)

When do you guys think my I485 will be approved ?

That is a good sumary except you point on pre-adjudication.

Pre-adjudication means adjudication before a visa # is available. That is why it is known as "pre"- adjudication.

Most of the application that were approved in June 2007 were pre-adjudicated and that is precisely the reason they could approve (attach a visa #) so many in such a short time.

File processing and adjudication happens irrespective of PD being current.

then Date Entry
they then send you letter asking you to go to a ASC for fingerprints and ID pictures to be taken
19 % in 6 months
Once name check cleared
pre-adjudication if your priority date based on your labor cert is current with the VISA cut off date for your category (EB-2)
Take note if your are the unlucky 20 % it may take months to years before your case can move pending name check clearance

If you get an RFE after a year's time of filing, can you tell if the name check is cleared?

I filed my 485 in June last year. When I did a service request on 7/1/07, the response said that the background check was not cleared yet. On 8/9/07, I got an RFE from CIS. I am wondering if the background check is completed now. Any thoughts ???

Thanks!

then Date Entry
19 % in 6 months
Once name check cleared

Since there are a lot of knowledgable ppl here I am sure someone has seen this. My I-140 got approved on 08/17 and I got an automated email from CIS. Since then I have been seeing LUD's on my 140 application daily. Any idea why the application is getting touched daily after approval? Does it have anything to do with 485 processing?

Also, I see a lot of approvals from NSC in different threads every day. Do you guys think CIS is under pressure and they are just approving much faster now. Additionally I hear from friends that those who just filed 485 in July have started receiving EAD's. I think something is cooking .... .

I have AOS filed on an approved I140 (EB2, PD: Oct/2006). I have another LC Subtituted 140 (EB2, PD: 02/2002) pending at NSC since Jan/2007, that may be approved soon. What is the process of replacing the new PD I140 to Old PD I140 for the applied AOS (I485) applications? What form # etc. is needed?

Thanks in Advance.
It appears that there are some people who are confused in the immigrant community on the rule of transfer of priority date in the immigration proceedings. The current rules are as follows:
The priority date of employment-based immigrant petition is retained only after the I-140 petition is approved and the alien beneficiary of multiple approved I-140 petitions through the same employer or different employers can claim the earliest priority date in the I-485 application proceedings.
The retained priority date is available for such transfer only between or among the multiple employment-based I-140 petitions for the same alien. The employment-based priority date cannot be transferred to a family-based immigrant petition of I-130 petition of the same alien or other non-employment based immigrant proceeding such as diversity immigrant proceeding or refugee proceeding.
The retained priority date is limited to the "individual" alien beneficiary only and cannot be transferred to other individuals including the spouse even if the spouse has another approved I-140 petition.
Distringuished from the transfer of a retained priority date is the rule of substitution of alien beneficiary which is a history by now. In the context of the substitution rule, the new alien takes over the priority date of another alien's priority date involving the alien's labor certification, but it is not considered a transfer. The new alien is just replacing the old employee either in pending labor certification proceeding or in the I-140 proceedings. It apparently confuses people as a transfer of priority date.
Even though an alien cannot obtain a transfer of priority date from the spouse, in the two contexts, some aliens can receive help from the spouse. One is the transfer of the alien's pending I-485 application which the alien filed as the derivative beneficiary of the spouse's approved I-140 petition to his own approved I-140 petition that has a different priority date. The same rule applies in vice versa. For instance, if my wife obtained I-140 petition and my wife and her family members including myself file I-485 applications based on her approved I-140 petition, assuming that the visa number is available, I can move my own pending I-485 application as the derivative beneficiary of my wife's I-140 petition to my own approved I-140 petition if my own I-140 priority date is more favorable than my wife's. My wife has two options in this context. Either she also moves her pending I-485 application to mine switching from a status of primary beneficiary of her own petition to a derivative beneficiary of mine to take advantage of my favorable priority date, or she can keep her pending I-485 application with her own employer without moving her I-485 application using my approved petition. This confuses people as transfer of priority date, but it is not a transfer of priority date. It is a rule of changing the underlying I-140 petition from his/her own to the spouse's. Such I-485 application transfer can take place back and forth more than one time depending on the visa number movement for different classification of employment-based immigration.
Another benefit an alien with the approved I-140 petition can receive from the spouse is the rule of cross chageability or alternate chageability of nationality. If the spouse was born in a different country and applies for I-485 as a derivative beneficiary of my I-140 petition along with me, both of us can use my wife's country of bith as our nationality for the purpose of the determination of the nationality in the Visa Bulletin. Obviously, Indians or Chinese, Mexicans, Philippines citizens, who are married to a spouse who was born in a country that is one of the Rest of the World (ROW) countries will receive a tremendous benefit from such spouse. The spouse can have a same citizenship with the principal alien and it is the place of birth of the spouse that determines the cross chargeability or alternate chargeability nationality. Again, this gives an impression of transfer of priority date, but it is not.
As people may have to go through a long journey as affected by the July 2007 VB fiasco, the foregoing information should give some help to people who are confused about the priority date transfer or related issues.

Source: immigration-law.com

Got an email from CRIS today. My response to RFE has been received by them and it mentioned that they would continue with processing my case (standard email).

Keeping my fingers crossed as to whats going to happen.......

Venram,

I guess this form has to to do more with your where abouts in the US. You can google the form and it is a 5 page form. I am also trying to collect evidence regarding my marriage. But the million dollar question is whether we have cleared the NC or not. Since none of these responses will ever matter if the the FBI hasn't cleared the NC. My 2 cents. Like you said Pray-Pray-Pray.Lets keep a close eye on this and probably we should correspond also since we are more or less in the same boat!

Got an email from CRIS today saying that my I140 approval notice has been mailed. Does this mean there is a chance of movement in I485 as well?
Details in signature.

Hi! I applied for H1B visa in India in May 2005, I had to go through FBI Name check and brackground check. The Name check was cleared (July 2005).

I applied for I-485 on June 28 2007 and went through finger printing today (08/27/2007). Does anybody know if I have to go though the FBI name check process all over again for my 485 application?

Labor Dallas BEC:
PD:08/2002, Approved.
I-140 Approved:
AD:09/25/06, AD:07/15/07
I-485: Receipt Number: LIN072175xxx;
AD: 06/28/07:RD: 06/29/07,ND: 07/25/07
FP ND:08/07/07 (Biometric code 3), Appointment Date:08/27/07: Finger prints taken today

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same question. Does anyone know if approval of 1-140 helps the movement of 485?

Got an email from CRIS today saying that my I140 approval notice has been mailed. Does this mean there is a chance of movement in I485 as well?
Details in signature.