Consolidated NSC I-485 Tracker

Fingerprint check and FBI name check are two totally different processes, and are run by two different FBI divisions.

FBI name check may be initiated before FP. In some cases NC starts immediately after I-485 RD, and FP starts later. But FP is usually much faster - within 24-48 hrs - to clear.

There is a separate IBIS name check, conducted by USCIS.

If FBI name check returns with matching records, it is up to USCIS fraud dept. to evaluate the records (not FBI) to determine whether or how they might affect your application. Time to clear FBI NC is impossible to predict, just from this forum you will see 1 month to 5 years. Note that most people who never got stuck in NC probably didn't bother to come to boards like this.

All of these (FBI name check, FBI fingerprint check, IBIS name check) are part of the background/security check before an immigration benefit can be granted, such as green card.

Hope this helps.

Is name check the same as fingerprint check ?
I know for I-485 you get a FP check through the FBI
name check through IBIS
name check through FBI ?

Lud

hi dono77in,
the LUDs without change in the text most likely mean nothing. i had two LUDs on 4/6 and 4/7 without any change to the text and nothing happened after that. I once spoke to a lady at NSC and she told me that in my case it is possible that someone touched my case in an attempt to approve it and found that the name check is still pending so she/he returned the case back to the system. everytime anyone accesses a case on the system it will get a LUD.
when i got my RFE i got both the LUD and the text change right away. since i was quite mad checking it every day so i am pretty sure.

As I mentioned on my previous post, both me and my wife had a LUD on our 485 on 7/26/2007 after almost 10 months. But no change in status message....and nothing since then.

Can anyone from their experiences tell me what this might mean.

In case of an RFE like the employment verification RFE, I am assuming the status message will change. It is very important for me because I changed my job, and if the RFE is sent to the lawyers, it might end up with the lawyers from my previous employer. So I am counting on the status message update for RFEs to be able to follow up with my previous employer lawyers to get it forwarded to me.

Any thoughts.

Last LUD 01/02/2007

Still waiting... Lawyer informs me I will be waiting longer considering the mess-ups in the system..
:mad:

In the same boat(sinking)....

Still waiting... Lawyer informs me I will be waiting longer considering the mess-ups in the system..

Sathya, I am also in the same boat. I485 RD July 27, 06. Could you please elaborate on your lawyers comments- waiting longer wrt who? Also do you already possess some sort of public trust clearance to work for Federal agencies? It is my understanding that if you have one, your record will exist in the FBI database and this is in fact working against people who have previous clearances.:confused:

Sathya will be waiting loner because the quota for 2007 ends today, for everyone.

On your point about federal clearance working against, you this true. I work at a nuke plant, and thus have had several NRC-mandated background checks, both when hired and every 3-5 years. This all register as 'hits' in the namecheck system, and have held up my AOS for 3 years.

Today I celebrate 1 year anniversary of 485 filing.

4 years and 9 months since Labor.

And now the namecheck pending and another BEC created for all us.

I just don't know when all this is going to end.

Sathya will be waiting loner because the quota for 2007 ends today, for everyone.

On your point about federal clearance working against, you this true. I work at a nuke plant, and thus have had several NRC-mandated background checks, both when hired and every 3-5 years. This all register as 'hits' in the namecheck system, and have held up my AOS for 3 years.

I was not able to understand what did U mean by "because the quota for 2007 ends today, for everyone."

Why is quota ending today ????

"Why is quota ending today ????"

Because tomorrow is august 1st, and the visa bulletin for august takes effect, which is "U" for all EB categories.

The announcement that they will accept I-485 until Aug 17th does not change this, the extension only applied to submissions, not approvals. All categories are "UNavailable" meaning no more of the 2007 quota is available.

"Why is quota ending today ????"

Because tomorrow is august 1st, and the visa bulletin for august takes effect, which is "U" for all EB categories.

The announcement that they will accept I-485 until Aug 17th does not change this, the extension only applied to submissions, not approvals. All categories are "UNavailable" meaning no more of the 2007 quota is available.

Does this mean there will be no 485 approvals tomorrow onwards ??
I am just trying to understand.

There *may* be some rare approvals, especially tomorrow, but hese would all be on cases that were approved in July, except for some paperwork issue, and there may be some consular approvals (not I-485) based on having an appointment (and thus a visa number) already requested.

But that is about it.

Not for Federal Agency

No. I work for a private company.

I was told by my lawyer that the retrogression on labour will esp. on EB2 will happen to 1999.

So, even when the system opens up in Oct, I was told it will be another 6-8 months before it starts any serious movement towards my labour.

Btw, Infopass told me that my namecheck was long cleared.

Ah! well...

Sathya, I am also in the same boat. I485 RD July 27, 06. Could you please elaborate on your lawyers comments- waiting longer wrt who? Also do you already possess some sort of public trust clearance to work for Federal agencies? It is my understanding that if you have one, your record will exist in the FBI database and this is in fact working against people who have previous clearances.:confused:

They won't ask for namechecks to be cleared for people with older PD but would juggle with dates and create yet another blackhole by their antics.

Lat year they opened with June/July 02 for India. My guess is they will start from ther again. You should get it in October since your name check is done.

No. I work for a private company.

I was told by my lawyer that the retrogression on labour will esp. on EB2 will happen to 1999.

So, even when the system opens up in Oct, I was told it will be another 6-8 months before it starts any serious movement towards my labour.

Btw, Infopass told me that my namecheck was long cleared.

Ah! well...

APROOOOOOOOVED Today, BINGO I must be one of the few LUCKY ONE

Folks, I guess I am overwhelmed that my GC has been approved.
I was not expecting it and was prepared to wait another few years.
My labor is from 10/03 and I applied for 485 during the rush hour in 2004
when the first retrogression was introduced.

I should thank Rajiv for this excellent website. I got most of my information and was able to help a ton of my friends thought the info i got through this website.Though he was not my lawyer I trusted this site more than my attorney. Infact I was able to file intime because of this website and alert my futile attorney that there was an impeding crisis during the retrogression in 2004. I am glad that it and finally worked out for me.

Thanks once again and keep up the good work Rajiv

Longwaythere,
Congratulations and enjoy!

sathya10,
I doubt it would retrogress all the way back to 1999. Remember most people who filed this month have PD of 2005 or later, when PERM was implemented. So I think it might move back to Pre-July cutoff dates or maybe slightly worse coming October. Having said that, however, just like the July Visa fiasco unfolding in front of our own eyes, nothing surprises me any more. Those guys have demonstrated a special gift of messing things up in a unique way beyond explanation.

Technically visa numbers were unavailable all of Jul. That didn't stop them from approving a ton of applications.
This is 'technically' not true.

The July visa bulletin, which ultimately remained in force, had all categories 'Current'.

Even the revised 'note' that was sent on July 2nd, didn't say that any category was 'Unavailable', it said that they had been 'made available' and that no more AOS/CP "requests" would be accepted. And this was later rescinded in any event. DOS memo only closed the door on submissions, temporarily.

For August we have the reverse situation, Categories are 'U', but USCIS is accepting I-485s until mid-month.

While this is admittedly an unusual period in the VB universe, I would not expect there to be any August I-485 approvals. DOS has closed the door to USCIS on approvals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Visa Numbers

This is just for my understanding. I was under the impression that the Alien number is your visa number, so as long as you have one granted to you (you have A# on your 485 receipt and on your EAD), your case should not get affected by the visa numbers unavailability issue.

It seems from the posts that my understanding is flawed.

Could someone please explain what this visa number is and when do I get one assigned to me.

Thanks a ton.