Consolidated NSC I-485 Tracker

How do you know the pending date?

I completely agree with Nelson. Even those who like to see full half of the glass and I used to consider myself one of them, will soon be facing the bitter truth. More people are stuck in name check and after by the end of summer the USCIS/FBI backlog will be a record high. Those of us are stuck in name check, will likely retrogress even further in the process and yes will pay the new EAD/AP fees ($700) for 1,2,3,4,5,.....years to come and the USCIS will still pay $5.00 for a name check.. Forgive me guys if I sound pessimistic and again, I can not see any drop in this glass!:D

Hello Mas06,

My question to you is how did you determine that your namecheck is pending since your mentioned date? Did the officer inform this date to you during an Infopass appointment or did the Nebraska centre rep. inform you? I am in the same scenario, however I don't know since when my NCheck is pending.

I was told my namecheck was pensing since "2004" by the officer at Infopass mtg. Telephone enquiry yielded no info. Service request merely said "background check...".

So best bet to find out when you became stuck (not that it matters at all, since it is not like FBI will hurry up to clear older cases with the zillions to be sent to them next week) is infopass.

FBI absolutely does not reveal to anyone at what stage your namecheck is in. other than POSITIVE hit, pending, or cleared. the exact coes have been posted elsewhere, but suffice to say there is not a "almost done" status, but there may be a "don't bug us" one.

Nelsona,

It is my understanding that if a person is having previous security clearance (like 85P), to work in a Fed. agency or any other agency,that person is most likely to get stuck in the name check. Since, like you mentioned it would show a "positive hit". This is because getting a security clearance, a person record goes to FBI for name check, and hence it recorded in their database. As stupid it may sound, the person who has attained previous security clearance for Federal work, and who should be the first one to be cleared in a name check is made to languish the most!Since after he has had a "positive HIT", a boatload of processes and paperwork starts to ascertain as to "WHY" he had a hit(I am seeing some delays here...yeah baby!!!)? And on the other hand a person who might be a crook, and does not have a record with FBI gets the name check instantly, since his name has "NO HIT" in the database. How do like this system now?

-----------------------------------------
labor : EB2 RIR MD,1/17/02 AD:9/20/05:)
I-140: RD 12/12/05 RFE 5/3/06 Reply RD 6/12/06 AD 7/13/06:)
I-485( LIN062235XXXX): RD 7/25/06 BIO CODE 1 8/28/06, BIO CODE 2 12/29/06 LUD 1/2/07, 1/3/07
EAD1: AD 9/12/06 EAD2: RD 6/7/07(FP 7/3/07):mad:

This has been confirmed with USCIS. The new price list also shows new prices for EAD and AP. They will not be giving away EAD/AP to old customers, only to new ones, who apply I-485 after July 31 and have paid the higher cost. USCIS is saying this will be an 'incentive' for them to get all processing done within a year.
http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/01jan20071800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/2007/pdf/E7-1631.pdf

in this documEnt it states that:
"no additional fee would be charged for a
Form I–485 applicant who has paid the
base fee that now includes the cost of
processing interim benefits"

So it only covers those that have paid the higher base fee.
You are right. It is clearly written in the FAQs from USCIS: http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/FinalFeeRuleQsAs052907.pdf.

People who file 485 before the fee increase will have to pay for the interim benefits and people who file after the fee increase will not have to.

Though I do not agree with the rule. I think it is unfair. They should charge the difference of fees of interim apps to the people who filed before and let them use the same benefit after the fee hike. Just a thought.

FBI absolutely does not reveal to anyone at what stage your namecheck is in. other than POSITIVE hit, pending, or cleared. the exact coes have been posted elsewhere, but suffice to say there is not a "almost done" status, but there may be a "don't bug us" one.

Nelsona,

It is my understanding that if a person is having previous security clearance (like 85P), to work in a Fed. agency or any other agency,that person is most likely to get stuck in the name check. Since, like you mentioned it would show a "positive hit". This is because getting a security clearance, a person record goes to FBI for name check, and hence it recorded in their database. As stupid it may sound, the person who has attained previous security clearance for Federal work, and who should be the first one to be cleared in a name check is made to languish the most!Since after he has had a "positive HIT", a boatload of processes and paperwork starts to ascertain as to "WHY" he had a hit(I am seeing some delays here...yeah baby!!!)? And on the other hand a person who might be a crook, and does not have a record with FBI gets the name check instantly, since his name has "NO HIT" in the database. How do like this system now?

-----------------------------------------
labor : EB2 RIR MD,1/17/02 AD:9/20/05:)
I-140: RD 12/12/05 RFE 5/3/06 Reply RD 6/12/06 AD 7/13/06:)
I-485( LIN062235XXXX): RD 7/25/06 BIO CODE 1 8/28/06, BIO CODE 2 12/29/06 LUD 1/2/07, 1/3/07
EAD1: AD 9/12/06 EAD2: RD 6/7/07(FP 7/3/07):mad:

Hello Mas06,

My question to you is how did you determine that your namecheck is pending since your mentioned date? Did the officer inform this date to you during an Infopass appointment or did the Nebraska cente rep. inform you? I am in the same scenario, however I don't know since when my NCheck is pending.

I knew at Infopass and was informed also by one senator and one house representative about these dates. The senator letter specifies name check. USCIS service letter just quotes "background checks". IBIS check is cleared as this is done for EAD and H1 extensions. I had both done recently. So, I think Infopass is good but I prefer Senator office. They are now checking for me every 2 months. Also, this way keeps our congressmen informed about this problem and keep the pressure to resolve the issue rather globally.
Good Luck.

"How do like this system now?"

Same as before: I hate it. What you say makes sense in my case, since I work at a nuke plant, I am subject to deep security check by NRC at hiring and every 3-5 years afterwards. This must have put me in dozens of places in their database.

I-485 approved

Here are my details:

EB2/RIR India
PD - 3/29/03
Filed 140 & 485 - 9/30/05
1st FP (code 3) - 3/16/06
2nd FP code 1 (for me only) - 6/6/07
(no LUD after my 2nd FP)
485 Approved, welcome email - 6/21/07

On 6/18/07 I called USCIS at 1-800-375-5283. Press 1..2..2..6..4
After you press 6, it will ask you to enter LIN #. DO NOT enter LIN# instead press 4 to talk to a representative. They will take your information if there is no action on your case for past 60 days (any RFE or FP is considered as an action) and give you a case status inquiry #. I did it for my wife as I had my 2nd FP. They said I will receive a case status information within 45 days.

This forum helped me a lot and I thank all the members.

Wish you the best.

I just received three RFE letters this morning (one for me, two for dependents). Are RFE letters usually sent before or after namecheck?

Approved!!

My husband and I finally got our GC approvals last week (EB-3 category). Our PD was Dec 2002 and the I-485 was filed in March 2004.

However, when we received our welcome notice yesterday, I found to my surprise that it says something about our GC being "conditional" and that it is valid only for 2 years after which we have to apply to remove the so called "conditions".

From what I understand, "conditional GC" is issued only to investors or family based applicants. So, it appears to be either a clerical error or just a generic message. Has anyone else encountered this for employment based cases from NSC? We have not received our GCs yet, so we are hoping that it is a clerical error.

Here is the verbiage from the notice:

Welcome to the USA...blah..blah..

"your new card will expire two years from when you became permanent resident. By law your resident status is conditional, and you must apply to remove those conditions before your card expires."

We are employement based applicants and from what I've heard the "conditional" stuff is not applicable to us.

Dear GSDevi and labor Cert.
Congrats for approval. Enjoy your Freedom and weekend.
We are all with you and need your feddback and guidance from time to time.
suresh

My husband and I finally got our GC approvals last week (EB-3 category). Our PD was Dec 2002 and the I-485 was filed in March 2004.

However, when we received our welcome notice yesterday, I found to my surprise that it says something about our GC being "conditional" and that it is valid only for 2 years after which we have to apply to remove the so called "conditions".

From what I understand, "conditional GC" is issued only to investors or family based applicants. So, it appears to be either a clerical error or just a generic message. Has anyone else encountered this for employment based cases from NSC? We have not received our GCs yet, so we are hoping that it is a clerical error.

"your new card will expire two years from when you became permanent resident. By law your resident status is conditional, and you must apply to remove those conditions before your card expires."

We are employement based applicants and from what I've heard the "conditional" stuff is not applicable to us.

Congrats, BUT BUT This is a serious error that you need to get fixed ASAP. Your GC is not conditional, and may be incorrectly coded. While you may think it best (easiest) to leave it and straighten out in 2 years, DON'T. These errors tend to solidify if left unfixed.

You both should have gotten unconditinal GC, and should insist on these now.

Dear Freinds
Both of you once you receive the Green cards with recipt notice please take the infopass and visit the local center. may be this is the clerical mistake but you need to visit tem and get this resolved immediately instead of keeping the card for 2 year and then take actions.
wait for the final card and the letter in mnail and then take immediate action.
if you have filed the case thru lwyer then please consult with him for rectification.
Suresh

Congrats!! and thanks for posting the info.
Were you guys stuck in name check?

It could be plain error or is uscis trying something out here?
Is it possible that they might be giving temp conditional GC's to people stuck in name check once their side of things are completed and waiting for fbi?
Any expert opinion on this theory?

Offcourse this theory will not be valid if they were not stuck in name check.

The other interesting part is that they did not mention why it is conditional.
May be once the card arrives it may have more details. Would appreciate if you keep posting info as and when available.

Conditional GC ?

Now, some employers won't like what i propose below ( how many employers like the employee getting bargaining power ).
What about a "conditional/restricted" GC to applicants who don't have any other issues other than being stuck in background check. This type of GC should enable the applicants

1. To freely change the employer ( any location)
2. No restrictions on travel

Once the security check is cleared , the "full blown/ripened" GC is awarded.
How do you guys feel about this proposal ?

Approval Notice recd

All

We finally got our approval Notice (I485) mailed to us on Friday the 22nd june. The case got approved on 19th June 2007. My spouse also get the approval the same day.Ours is EB3 with RIR with PD in Nov 2002. We applied for I485 on Dec 2004. In the 'welcome notice' its mentioned that we should recieve the card in 3 weeks.

Its been a great relief after going through all the hoops and loops of RFEs, retrogression, etc etc.

Good luck to all...

Cheers

All

We finally got our approval Notice (I485) mailed to us on Friday the 22nd june. The case got approved on 19th June 2007. My spouse also get the approval the same day.Ours is EB3 with RIR with PD in Nov 2002. We applied for I485 on Dec 2004. In the 'welcome notice' its mentioned that we should recieve the card in 3 weeks.

Its been a great relief after going through all the hoops and loops of RFEs, retrogression, etc etc.

Good luck to all...

Cheers[/QUOTE
CONGRATULATIONS BHASU & YOUR FAMILY.
ITS TIME TO CELEBERATE. PLS BE IN TOUCH ON THSI FORUM WNEN YOU GET GC IN MAIL.
ALL THE BEST IN LIFE ------SURESH

All

Good luck to all...

Cheers[/QUOTE
CONGRATULATIONS BHASU & YOUR FAMILY.
ITS TIME TO CELEBERATE. PLS BE IN TOUCH ON THIS FORUM WNEN YOU GET GC IN MAIL.
ALL THE BEST IN LIFE ------SURESH

Now, some employers won't like what i propose below ( how many employers like the employee getting bargaining power ).
What about a "conditional/restricted" GC to applicants who don't have any other issues other than being stuck in background check. This type of GC should enable the applicants

1. To freely change the employer ( any location)
2. No restrictions on travel

Once the security check is cleared , the "full blown/ripened" GC is awarded.
How do you guys feel about this proposal ?

Not sure what how this is different that what we have now. if you have an pending I-485, then you already have unfettered ability to work wherever you want (in the same field): It called AC21.

And travel is easy with Advance parole. EAD/AP is already 'conditional/restricted GC'.

Let's not invent a new broken wheel to add to this cart.

The answer is to get rid of name check, just like the Ombudsman requested.