CONgress approved 25000/year Asylees

Gebre

Registered Users (C)
Increase in Numerical Limitation for Asylees Adjustment Act of 2003 (Introduced in House)

HR 82 IH

108th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 82
To increase the numerical limitation on the number of asylees whose status may be adjusted to that of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

January 7, 2003
Ms. JACKSON-LEE of Texas introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BILL
To increase the numerical limitation on the number of asylees whose status may be adjusted to that of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Increase in Numerical Limitation for Asylees Adjustment Act of 2003'.

SEC. 2. INCREASE IN NUMERICAL LIMITATION ON ASYLEE ADJUSTMENT.

(a) IN GENERAL- Section 209(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1159(b)) is amended by striking `10,000' and inserting `25,000'.

(b) EFFECTIVE DATE- The amendment made by subsection (a) shall apply to fiscal years beginning with fiscal year 2003.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source

Just go here:

http://www.senate.gov/pagelayout/legislative/g_three_sections_with_teasers/legislative_home.htm and in the bill search (by number) write: h.r. 82 Here you will find the information that GEBRE sent,

BUT this is a bill with date of January, 2003, and was in the house and not in the senate where the bill is suppose to be now. I said suppose, because I was looking in the bill S. 2812 that CCHONG mentioned and there is nothing about asylee caps.

I think we should be very careful with the things we write in here. This way we will not make people happy and then disappointed again.

Also go to the same website and write s. 2812 and you will see anything about asylee caps. If someone find out something let us know.

Gebre,

Could you give us the news from?

As I know, today's vote is not related to HR 82.

Thanks.

Here is the today's vote info. It is a floor amendment.

http://www.aila.org/newsViewer.aspx?bc=273&docID=14234

ACTION ALERT: Senate to Vote TODAY (9/23) on Bill Eliminating Caps for Asylees
9/23/2004

Senator Brownback (R-KS) is going to offer a floor amendment to the Foreign Operations bill (S. 2812) TODAY. Please contact your Senators immediately and urge them to support the Brownback amendment that will eliminate the numerical caps preventing asylees from becoming permanent residents and assimilating into the United States. The amendment would eliminate the following caps, neither of which serve a legitimate public purpose: 1) the annual cap on the number of asylees (10,000) authorized to adjust their status to permanent resident, resulting in 20-year backlogs; and 2) the annual cap on the number of individuals (1,000) eligible for asylum on the basis of Coercive Population Control, resulting in 27-year backlogs.

PLEASE CONTACT YOUR SENATORS NOW!! Call the Capitol switchboard at 202-225-3121 and ask to be connected to your Senator's office AND/OR click on the following link and send a pre-drafted e-mail letter to your Senators. http://capwiz.com/aila2/mail/oneclick_compose/?alertid=6410491

Today?

I know this will sound really dumb and naive, but how is my vote going to reach anyone today? I want to send this to all my friends, but not sure...
*small print: I know nothing about how the Congress, Senate etc.

First Go to "www.senate.gov" then click on "legislation&Records" then
"Active legislation" after that click on the upper center side "THOMAS"
then on word/phrase part write "Asylee" then click search

on #1 you will see that subject and click on HR.82 IH

Gebre

Cl Asylee, If you can read, I said congres approved it,which means the HOUSE of representatives,I didn't say the Senate approved it.
Why do you mention about making people happy or disappointed,what do you want to say?This is very good news,most of the bills which were approved by house had postive response by the senate.

Gebre

OK, is this like - definitive? I really hate to be the dumb blonde here - but is this official? As in: voted by everyone that it needs to be voted by so it can be the new law?

Thank you.

Signed,
Dumb in California

Please DO NOT CONUFSE PEOPLE! Its not approved~! IT has to go through many more hurdels before anyting changes. This law has been introduces and "approved" numerous times but never makes it past the senate..

House has NOT approved this bill

Can't you people read?

1/7/2003:
Referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary.
3/6/2003:
Referred to the Subcommittee on Immigration, Border Security, and Claims.

About S. 2812

Today it's the vote to only add the amendment of asylee cap to this bill.

I agree with wantmygcnow. Do not confuse people. Congress = House + Senate. The asylee cap BILL was approved in January, 2003 by the House and not by the Congress. The Senate has not approved it yet.

Please GEBRE understand it. Congress is both House and Senate, then please do not say that Congress approved it, that is not true.

When a bill is approved by the Congress (both the House and the Senate), it is sent to the president for his signature. If the president signs the bill, it becomes a law.

That is that I mean GEBRE. Thanks,

Cl_Asylee

Last edited by a moderator:
plz be careful when you write

Plz be careful about writing stuff in this forum. Most people ride an emotional roller-coaster while going through adjustment process (especially Asylee asjustment). This can be draining, emotionally.

best,

This bill was NEVER approved by the House of Representatives.

Some congresswoman proposed this bill and it was dead right away. No vote ever happened in even a subcommitee.