Confirmation to Vote.

Sanjay,

If you are a US citizen, you can vote -but you know that. You do have to register first. Not sure what state you are in, but here in CA you can go to the DMV and register. You may be asked for proof of eligibility, just show your natz certificate or your US passport.

My oath ceremony is on Nov 19 (almost there, YEAH!!!) You bett ya I will register to vote as soon as I can.

It is my understanding that you can opt to register as undeclared (or whatever it is called), as in not checking the Dem, or Rep, or green or whatever checkbox.

Register my man, more power to you. And then go out and vote.

Not exactly. Bush was elected by 2 votes, not 535. There was nothing preventing the Florida electors for voting for Gore, had they decided to.

Reasonable people can have differences on this because it was so contentious. However the fact is that some elections ( very few in fact ), where a few votes can make a difference. In this case, it could have been 1-2 supreme court judges, 1-2 electors, or a few hundred voters.

At the same time, I find your argument specious ... there was nothing preventing electors from voting for Gore ... well yes, but do these kind of things it really happen? It is the equivalent of saying that nothing is stopping the US military generals from launching a coup ... one or two guys here and there can decide to act different. Well, these type of things do not happen because there are some conventions and norms we live by, and it is usually very hard for someone to buck norm even if they personally do not agree with it. Of course, legislators accepting campaign money to make laws is an outlier to this theory, but it has been going on for so long that it is almost a convention.

I disagree with this. Whatever be the actual mechanics, it is possible for election to hinge on a single vote. Didn't Florida (Bush V Gore) hinge on 535 votes? It does not matter if one candidate is winning handsomely in popular margin, if that one state can change the balance and the vote different there is small.

The question was whether a presidential election can hinge on only one vote by the people.
Again, the electoral college votes for the president, not the people. So regardless of what the popular vote was (and whether it hinged on only vote), the electoral college still makes the ultimate choice of who the president will be. Gore won the popular vote in 2000, yet lost the electoral college vote (due to him loosing popular vote in Florida).
But yes, the electoral college vote can hinge on one vote, or even result in a tie.

The question was whether a presidential election can hinge on only one vote by the people.
Again, the electoral college votes for the president, not the people. So regardless of what the popular vote was (and whether it hinged on only vote), the electoral college still makes the ultimate choice of who the president will be. Gore won the popular vote in 2000, yet lost the electoral college vote (due to him loosing popular vote in Florida).
But yes, the electoral college vote can hinge on one vote, or even result in a tie.

Some states by law require their electors to elect according to voters in their states. SO one vote in that state can determine who electors from that state will vote and as long as this state's electors are tiew breaker, then
one vote in voting booth make differences. Every vote has potential
to make difference and that is why soem people go to vote (otherwise
why not just stay home)

Just curious, Did you ever vote in your home country, before becoming USC?

What do you mean? Voting in your home country has nothing to do with the process of becoming a US citizen and it doesn't affect it.

BUT if you are a dual citizen, you may vote in both usa and your country (only if the law permits in your country).

At the same time, I find your argument specious ... there was nothing preventing electors from voting for Gore ... well yes, but do these kind of things it really happen? It is the equivalent of saying that nothing is stopping the US military generals from launching a coup ..

There's several distinctions. First, unlike a military coup, an elector voting his or her conscience is entirely legal. In fact, it was the explicit goal of the Founding Fathers. Despite state laws requiring electors to vote a certain way, they hold no validity in the eyes of the Constitution. Second, unlike a military coup, there have been dozens of "faithless electors" over the course of US history.

There's several distinctions. First, unlike a military coup, an elector voting his or her conscience is entirely legal. In fact, it was the explicit goal of the Founding Fathers. Despite state laws requiring electors to vote a certain way, they hold no validity in the eyes of the Constitution. Second, unlike a military coup, there have been dozens of "faithless electors" over the course of US history.

I guess you are right. I guess I was mixing up legality, morality, ethics and many related things.