Concurrent Filing I140 & I485 Nebraska Service Center

written decision

My old 140 was filed on 02/25/2002, and INS has a written decision regarding my old 140. The written decision was mailed out on 09/20/2002 (it has been 18 days), but my attorney still has not received the written decision. Anyone know what could be the reason?

I feel frustrated not only because the above, but also because my new 140/485 has been filed for more than 6 weeks and I still have not got receipt notice.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Hi Jinghzi,

Can you give me some more details of your old I-140 like category, LC requirement, did you get any RFE etc.

Usally the INS message means the case is denied. Lets hope for the best.

Can I know the reason for filing new I-140?

It happened even with me also, my I-140 was denied.

Thanks
Rakesh

Hi all

My attorney has received my I 485 receipts
and the LIN nos:

I - 485 LIN-02-289-53xxx
I - 765 LIN-02-289-53xxx

And yesterday I have received my FP
Got the appointment date as 10-30-02.
My 485 RD - 9-9-2002
ND 10-01-2002

Hi Sirisha, cgf2002, Sachin

I am also form Michigan and my attorney filed on September 6th.
You people filed approximately after one week, so I hope you
will receive receipts, FP within one week!
:)

Nanaji

Hi all

My attorney has received my I 485 receipts
and the LIN nos:

I - 485 LIN-02-289-53xxx
I - 765 LIN-02-289-53xxx

And yesterday I have received my FP
Got the appointment date as 10-30-02.
My 485 RD - 9-9-2002
ND 10-01-2002

Hi Sirisha, cgf2002, Sachin

I am also form Michigan and my attorney filed on September 6th.
You people filed approximately after one week, so I hope you
will receive receipts, FP within one week!
Congratulations wxm8! so now you can spend more time in helping us!:) :)

Nanaji

Hi wxm8,

Congratulations ! I am very happy to know this.

By this we have proved the point that the apprehension of I-140 adjudication along with I-485 is not correct. Others in this forum will be delighted to notice this.

All those who are worried about no-receipt of receipts from INS, please give atleast 4 to 8 weeks time before you make any attempts to call INS.

Some times attorneys do not give us the correct date of filing. To avoid pressure from you they tell you that they have filed on a particular day and actually file it way behind that date. I am not saying everyone does it. It happend in many cases. This could be one of the reasons for the delay from INS apart from scores of other reasons.

Good to know that things are moving in the right direction.

Regards

Congratulations Wxm8,

Good to hear your news.! Are you from Denver area.?

hey MMGGDD

Are you also from Denver area? I filed my 140/485/EAD/AP on 25sep after it got refused the first time (because my original cetrified Labour letter was not included in the 140 documents, well the Original one got lost in the mail).
My lawyer submitted back all the applications with the INS again stating that they should accept the application under its traditional rule for filing 140.

Today I called INS and the lady I spoke with spent some time trying to find my information in the system.But unfortunately she couldn't,she did mention that rigtnow they are performing some checks on these type of applications(concurrent filing) and it might take few weeks but at the same time she said the dates are not that far behind.

I don't know whats going on ? and am truely confused as well.

Wxm8, if you could also provide some information on this ,it would really help me.

Has anyone else from the denver area filed the application around 25th sep.?Please provide the information.

Also has anyone else faced the original labor certification issue recently.

Thanks so much !

Receipt Notice

I have send concurrent petition on 9/13. Anybody in this time still waiting for receipt. I have not received anything yet, looks like check has not been cleared either.

Tracker Update

Sheet 2 contains Concurrent Tracker
Sheet 3 contains I-140 Tracker Only

Incomplete FAQ on I485

Incomplete FAQ for Concurrent (I485)

Updated On Oct 9, 2002

New item marked with Bold

I-485 Incomplete FAQ

- Documents needed to apply for Adjustment Of Status (AOS)

Documents for Adjustment of Status
When the priority date is current and you have always maintained a lawful status in the U.S. and are not otherwise ineligible to be a permanent resident, adjustment of status can be applied with the following documents: (All of the forms are in Acrobat PDF format and can be filled on the computer. There is no need to download the form, print and write by hand. After entering the value in the field, put one blank space otherwise the value in the field will not be visible.)

I-485 Application for Adjustment of Status.
Filing fee $255 payable by check/money order to regional service center(e.g., INS-VSC).

I-765 Employment Authorization Document. (If seeking employment while case is processed).
Filing fee $120 payable by check/money order to regional service center(e.g., INS-VSC).

I-131 Advance Parole(Travel Document)
Filing fee $110 payable by check/money order to regional service center (e.g., INS-VSC).

I-693 Medical Examination Sheet. This needs to be done at INS approved doctor in your area.

List of INS certified doctors in your area. Doctor also fills the supplement form to record vaccinations taken now/earlier.

G-325A Biographic Information Sheet(Between the ages of 14 and 79)

G28 Notice of Appearance. This allows your attorney to represent you.

Supporting documents needed for primary applicant:
Copy of passport with copy of I-94 (both sides).

Copy of I-797 Notice of Action. It is an H1B/L1 visa status document.

Copy of birth certificate.

If no birth certificate or problem with it, see Affidavit of Birth
Copy of degree certificate.

Copies of recent pay stubs.

Six Immigration Photographs (2 each for I-485, I-131 and I-765).
Note: These are immigration photographs and not passport photographs. They are also called ADIT style photographs. These photographs should be taken within 30 days of filing the application to INS.

Copy of approved Labor Certificate

Original Employment letter from the employer saying that the job is still available. It should be on the company stationary.

If applicable, the applicant must also submit copies of all marriage certificates, divorce decrees, death certificates (of former spouses), birth certificates of all children, and certified copies of any and all arrests and criminal court records.

Finger printing fee $25 payable by check/money order to regional service center (e.g., INS-VSC).
Any document not in English must be translated into English.

It is also recommended to submit Driver License Information
because from all I know, all application is checked against IBIS

Around apr/may'02 they introduced a new security check against IBIS (Its a combined database with data from FBI INS POE etc etc). When my case was pending and when I called the IIO, she told me the same thing and If I can remember correctly she said it takes about 3 weeks to a month to get the security check cleared.

What is IBIS (copied from www.immigration-law.com <http://www.immigration-law.com>) ?

What is IBIS Check and How to Alleviate Processing Delays Resulting from the Hit?

People know that all the applications and petitions are currently mandatorily going through the IBIS check, causing delays in processing of cases, particularly when there is a IBIS hit in the checking process. IBIS is the abbreviation of Interagency Border Inspection System and a national security check system which utilizes data from various law enforcement sources such as NCIC, FBI, CIA, INS, Customs, and other agencies. The IBIS checks are reportedly instituted to "identify" suspected terrorists, aggravated felons, wants and warrants, previous INS contacts, national security risks and other causes for security concern.
A hit on an IBIS is known to cause a substantial delay in processing cases in order to establish identity, especially when similar common names are involved. The INS sources indicate that submitting a copy of the alien's driver license can be very helpful in alleviating such delays as the driver license includes such identity information as height, weight, hair color, etc. Driver license is considered a "private" document and not everyone will be comfortable to submit a copy when they file any application or petition. However, in some situations, particularly people from certain parts of the Middle East, East Asia, and Africa may want to consider such option after seeking legal counsel on the issue. In Islamic world and Hindu culture, certain names are extremely common and in a number of cases, the names are used loosely without clear identity.
Tips: People may want to print a "full" name, including middle name, with no abbreviations, and consider enclosing a copy of their driver licenses to help the INS to deal with the delays caused by the IBIS check. It is not a requirement, but a good tip of information to consider!

If you are out of status before 180 days before applying I-485,
you must use section 245(k)

Here some Information on it

<<http://my.netian.com/~wintry/memo2.htm>>
"an employment based immigrant may adjust status in the United States under section 245(k) even if he has been out of status for up to 180 days since his last entry into the U.S."

<<http://www.rreeves.com/pub_129.htm>>
Finally, Section 245(k) allows for the adjustment of status of certain employment-based immigrants notwithstanding the fact that the Applicant is out of status, as long as the out of status period is less than 180 days. The INS has stated the 180 days is measured only from the expiration of their authorized stay since the alien's last entry into the United States, which means that the time is not counted in the aggregate, but must be consecutive to lose eligibility.

It takes about 3-4 weeks for FBI to send result of FingerPrinting Check Result Back to INS

FingerPrint remains valid on file for 15 months. If your case comes to consideration after 15 months, you'll have to do FP again. (So, for my case, I'll have to re-do the FP).

Some Common RFE for Adjustment of Status

1)Non Imigrant status prior to file the I-485 application.
2)Employment Authorization
3)Birth Certificates

NSC AVM Phone Number : 402-323-7830

INS WebSite regarding I-485
<http://www.ins.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-485.htm>

I-485 Tracker

<http://www.rupnet.com/immigration/index.asp>

INS Online Checks
https://egov.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/cris/jsps/caseStat.jsp

Advantages and Disadvantages of EAD

Advantages of EAD:

- you can work part time for another employer. but you *must* remain employed full time with your I-140 sponsor to keep your I-485 alive.

- in case you are laid off, you can immediately join another employer using EAD. however, in order to ensure I-485 approval, the new job must match the old job which was labor-certified (and your I-485 should have remained unadjudicated for more than 180 days... read up on AC-21!).

- if you are reaching the 6-year limit on your H1B, you can switch to EAD instead of applying for a 7th year extension. however, this is risky due to the following:

Main disadvantage of EAD:

- if you switch to EAD, you lose your non-immigrant status that went with H1B. so in case your I-485 is denied, you cannot revert to H1B, and you are immediately out of status, and must leave the U.S.

Very Good Link on I-485 (You should check it out)

<http://www.hooyou.com/i-485/index.html>
<http://www.immihelp.com/gc/aos/>

Please give me suggestion to make this FAQ helpful for
anybody

Thanks

Incomplete FAQ on I140

Incomplete FAQ on Concurrent for I-140

Updated On Oct 9. 2002
New item are marked with Bold

Documents needed to file for I-140

1. Letters of past experience, that satisfy the minimum years of experience, as indicated on the 750A Form.
2. Transcripts and Diplomas, including education evaluation, if available.
3. Social Security number, if not included in initial questionnaire.
4. Latest I-94 number.
5. Last date of arrival in the United States.
6. Expiration of H-1B.
7. Family information: full name of each family member, relation, date of birth, country of birth, and present address.
8. Financial information from employer, establishing the financial ability to pay the required wage.

9. Employer's telephone and fax Number;
10.Employer's Federal Identification Number;
11.Year company established;
12. Number of employees;
13. Gross annual income for latest fiscal year;
14. Provide 20 blank pieces of your of employer's letter head;
15. Provide original brochures, pamphlets, or any relevant documents regarding the employer;
16. Describe in detail the employer's nature of business (what does company do?);
17. Provide copy of the company's City Business License, plus whichever is applicable: Seller’s Permit / Contractor's License / License to Operate Health Care Facility / and other licenses/permits;
18. Provide audited financial statements and/or corporate/individual income tax return from the time the Labor Certification was filed to present; and,
19, Provide DE-6 Quarterly Wage Reports for quarters ending 6/30/02, 3/31/02,12/31/01 and 9/30/01

20. Original Passport
21. Current Resume including your employment history for the past six years
(names, addresses , and exact dates of employment)
22. Foreign Address
23. Current Address
24. Most recent pay stub
25. Most recent W2

Some brief explanation regarding I140
<http://www.immihelp.com/gc/employment/i140.html>

Cost

Currently the cost for I140 is $135

Receipt

You should get your Receipt Date within two weeks after
you file your I140 petition in Nebraska Service Center

Nebraska Service Center usually cash I140 petition within
two weeks after you file your I140 petition

Nebraska Service Center (NSC) AVM 1-402-323-7830

According to AVM, it takes about 150-180 days right now to
process AVM

Processing Times in NSC Biweekly status (9/27/2002)
I-140 A (EB-11) 02/27/2002 About 210 days to 9/27/2002
I-140 B (EB-12) 02/25/2002 About 212 days to 9/27/2002
I-140 C (EB-13) 06/11/2002 About 46 days to 9/27/2002
I-140 D (EB2 except NIW) 7/1/2002 About 56 days to 9/27/2002
I-140 E (EB-31) 7/5/2002 About 82 days to 9/27/2002
I-140 I (EB-2 NIW) 3/6/2002 About 201 days to 9/27/2002
I-140 G (EB-3W Unskilled) 07/11/2002 About 76 days to 9/27/2002
Explanation : If your Notice Date is 5/1/2002 and you are EB3-1 (Skilled worker with experience), so you can approximately guess that your case will be process around 5/1/2002 + 82 days , Around week of August 23. 2002

In Reality
The INS HQ confirms that the Service Centers will not process adjudication of EAD and Advance Parole in the I-140/485 concurrent filing cases unless the Service Centers first complete the prima facie review of eligibility of I-140 petition or thorough adjudication of I-140 petition. The result of such review or adjudication of I-140 will be as follows:
Denial of I-140 petition without even issuing RFE if the applicant is statutorily ineligible. If this happens, the Service Centers will also deny I-1485, I-765 EAD application and I-131 Advance Parole.
RFE is issued if the prima facie evidence of eligibility is not included at the time of concurrent filing. This is a situation where insufficient evidence is submitted and the Service Centers are unable to determine eligibility of I-140 petition. Once RFE is issued such, processing of I-765 EAD and I-131 Advance Parole will remain on hold until the requested evidence is received. Additionally, the 90-day EAD adjudication requirement under the INS regulation will also stop running and it will run again as soon as the requested evidence is received. It means that once RFE is issued for I-140 petition in the concurrent filing case, the alien will not be able to obtain employment authorization card and advance parole quite a long time and will not even be able to obtain "interim EAD" card at the local district office because of the toll of 90-day running. In the opinion of this reporter, the INS interpretation of tolling of 90-day for the purpose of EAD adjudication requirement is very controversial and somewhat arbitrary.
Any way, if the Service Centers determine that the I-140 petition is statutorily eligible and the proper evidence for determination of eligibility are found in the filing, the Service Centers will issue EAD and Advance Parole. Currently, the Service Centers are targetting at making I-140 statutory eligibility review or adjudication within 60 days from the date of receipt. In the concurrent filing situation, people should be prepared for delay of getting EAD and Advance Parole.
The foregoing procedure is currently followed by the Service Centers, but it appears that the local district office practices vary depending on each district's practice.

According to www.immigration-law.com <http://www.immigration-law.com> for processing I-140
as follows

Updated 08/25/2002: INS HQ Prioritization Policy of I-140: New Wonderland
• The INS sources indicate that as the INS launched the I-140/I-485 concurrent filing, the Service Centers had been given a guidance by the INS HQ to complete processing of I-140 petitions within 60-day mark. Readers, don't be surprised if you get the news that your I-140 petitions have been approved. There are indications and signs that the Service Centers indeed have started implementing this prioritization policy. This opens a question as to its impact on the concurrently filed I-485 applications with the I-140 Receipt Notice only and without the knowledge of approval of the I-140 petitions. We hope that the Service Centers continue to adjudicate the I-485 applications without rejecting such applications or issuing RFEs. Well, we'll have to wait and see. Please stay tuned to this web site.
• The sign is clear with the I-140 petitions which was filed independently and pending before the concurrent filing regulation came into effect. It is, however, unclear at this point whether the Service Centers are also adopting the same policy with the concurrently filed I-140 petitions. Please stay tuned to this web site for the development of this news.

Some FAQ regarding concurrent filing for I140 and I485
<http://www.hooyou.com/i140&i485/faq.htm>
<http://www.hooyou.com/news/news0801...85_comments.htm>

I140 processing times for each EB is different.
Usually EB3 is processed much faster than EB2 and
EB2 is processed faster than EB1. Here some note regarding
this issue

This is posted in mid of August, 2002
Right now NSC is processing Mar 14th 2002 apps for catg D (alien with exceptional ability / advanced degree) so my case which is under catg D can take another 3 months.

On the E catg (skilled worker) they are processing apps received on Jun 18 2002 (some of my colleauges have received approvals their catg was E).

Some common RFE that people receive for their I140
Most RFEs are on

1. Company financials
This is of course the biggest cause.

I know for a fact that my company lawyer spend a lot of time collecting financial info from my HR. I am not sure if he forwarded the info to INS ... I can say they at least seemed to prepare for it.

2. Signed copy of the Form ETA 750, Part B.
Some RFEs are on this, and I believe this is required for an LC substitution to prove that the substituted candidate had the same or more qualification as the original applicant on the date of filing the original LC

3. Experience certificates
I believe that this is needed for the same reason as no 2.

So guys who are doing their LC substitutions now, make sure your lawyer is doing all this legwork. If he simply goes ahead and files the 140 without any involvement from you, alarm bells should ring

[B}

NSC May Deny TNs When an I-140 Has Been Filed

A supervisor at the Nebraska Service Center, which has exclusive jurisdiction over TN applications made on Form I-129, has indicated to AILA’s NSC liaison chair that NSC adjudicators are being told to deny TN applications if an I-140 immigrant petition has been filed on the individual’s behalf. The basis of the denial would be that the individual no longer has a nonimmigrant intent. Some members have already reported denials on this basis. While AILA is arguing this point, we are not optimistic for a favorable resolution. Therefore, persons filing a TN application at the NSC when an I-140 has been filed may wish to consider alternative strategies, such as concurrently filing an adjustment application (and I-765) with the I-140.

[/B]

Please give me suggestion so this FAQ can be useful to
anybody

Thanks

Please update my info

Hi wxm,

I just had a look at the spreadsheet and found my info about I-140 is incorrect.

I-140: Substitute LC, EB2, NSC.
Sent to INS: 06/14/02
RD/ND: 06/17/02
AD: 10/07/02

Please have it updated and thanks.

I 140 / I 485 Concurrent

Here are my details:

I 140
RD: 9/11/2002
EB2/Non RIR
Lin 0228#

I-485
Sent to INS on October 3 rd......

Please add my details to the sheet.

Thanks!

Hi wxm8

I have one question!

Is the 180 days rule will apply to RD or ND?
My receipt date is 09-09-2002
ND : 10-01-2002

nanaji

Re: nanaji

FYI

The 180 days start from the receipt date ( RD ) , I have confirmed this from my Lawyer

RD and ND

What is the difference between Rd and ND? When I check the date of processing, Which date am I looking at RD or ND.

:rolleyes:

Thanks

haibo

hi all

mmggdd, Thank you very much for the info,
INS will start the processing based on Receipt date? or Notice date?

any idea?

Nanaji

Recipt Notice of concurrent filing

Hi,
My lawer called today, he informed that he has received my recipt notice for concurrent filing.

Documents send by FEDEX :9/13
RD: 9/16
ND:10/6

WXM8, Please update the traker.