Collecting Unemployment

thankful, this is the whole confusion here, if you don't know, please don't give out incorrect information.
Unemployment has nothing to do with GC, you may be mixing unemployment with welfare, dude go ahead and file for unemployment, this is your right to get unemployment if you can, I took unemployment for 9 months during the market crash of 2002 when I lost my job. I was just a asylee and I wrote unemployed for those days on my I485 application, and I got GC after that.

thankful, this is the whole confusion here, if you don't know, please don't give out incorrect information.
Unemployment has nothing to do with GC, you may be mixing unemployment with welfare, dude go ahead and file for unemployment, this is your right to get unemployment if you can, I took unemployment for 9 months during the market crash of 2002 when I lost my job. I was just a asylee and I wrote unemployed for those days on my I485 application, and I got GC after that.

Maybe I am a bad writer and/or you are a bad reader.

The original post asked three questions. First could a green card holder get unempoyment payments? Second would this affect the eventual citizenship application? The third question asked for personal experiences.

I answered the first two questions in order yes (you can collect) and no (it will not affect citizenship).

What part of the response did you fail to understand? Can you read and understand something before you reply in the future? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
SAM33,

Thankful's answers were perfectly clear to me and they were also correct. Maybe you need a lesson in remedial reading?

You can even collect unemployment before you get your GC. You have to show valid work permits for the period you worked and a valid permit for the unemployed period as well. It is not a public charge.