• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

''City Where You Were Born'' issue!

Rezgh

The form says that I should enter ''City where you are born''. Now, I'm born in Helsingborg (city in Sweden) but my passport says ''Gustav Adolf'' (it's the district where I was born I guess) Should I write Helsingborg or should I write what my passport says even though ''Gustav Adolf'' isn't a city? I'm very unsure about this - should I give the right answer or the answer according to my passport?

The form says that I should enter ''City where you are born''. Now, I'm born in Helsingborg (city in Sweden) but my passport says ''Gustav Adolf'' (it's the district where I was born I guess) Should I write Helsingborg or should I write what my passport says even though ''Gustav Adolf'' isn't a city? I'm very unsure about this - should I give the right answer or the answer according to my passport?

Give the right answer according to you BIRTH CERTIFICATE, not passport.

I just looked it up and my birth certificate also says ''Gustav Adolf'', so I guess I should write that. But on the other hand, the form says that you shouldn't write your district. I guess I don't have a choice as I have ''no proof'' that I was born in Helsingborg according to my official papers?

PS - would it hurt my chances if I would just choose ''not known'' as an opition? Just to be safe?

Not known is not the truth. It's quite the opposite of "safe" to deliberately give false information.
I presume the city is part of the district, so I don't see the problem with putting the city.

The city is not part of the district, it's the other way around. "Gustaf Adolf" is the parish in Helsingborg that she was born in.

I don't think this is something you should be stressing over, your B/C and passport shows "Gustaf Adolf" so list "Gustav Adolf" on the form and stop overthinking it.

Thanks for the quick answers guys! I appreciate it :)

It's hard to not overthink when you find something very important! I know it seems logical to just put ''Gustav Adolf'' and move on with it but the form strictly says that you should only list a city, not a district/parish etc. I've emailed the embassy in Sweden about it so hopefully I will get an ''official'' answer about the issue before Nov 3rd. If not, I will follow your advice.

Hopefully someone who had the same issue but got selected anyways will find this thread and help out!

The city is not part of the district, it's the other way around. "Gustaf Adolf" is the parish in Helsingborg that she was born in.

Then what on earth is the problem? If it's part of the city obviously she can show she was born in the city :rolleyes:
I think either is fine but if it makes her feel better then put what's on the birth certificate.

Note: in many parts of the English speaking world "district" refers to an area wider than a city, not a part within it.

Some countries have a different geographical/administrative nomenclature. In the country I live right now there are no cities per se. There are provinces which are made up of districts. I chose to use a district as a "city", because, by substance, it is the closest to an administrative unit of a city/town.

Sure. But OP seemed to be in a tizz about not being able to prove she was born in Helsingborg, when it turns out that the area her b/c states is a part of Helsingborg.... Uh...

If you were playing the DV lottery, you would be worried about screwing up to, so stop badgering the girl. It's a big deal for a lot of people (it would be for me), and I know that I have stressed over little things when it comes to immigration matters. Guess what - immigration can be hit or miss sometimes, and you all know very well that you could get very unlucky and run into a difficult person dealing with your case.

I would also just wait for the US embassy to get back to you. In the meantime, hopefully someone here who was born in Sweden can weigh in.

In Switzerland, they write down your official domicile, not your place of birth, so that gets even more confusing.

In Switzerland they don't write place of birth on your birth certificate?

(And no-one was "badgering" her. She asked a question, it was answered. She then for some reason thought writing "not known" was preferable. It then transpired that (from what I can understand) her problem was the equivalent of someone with a birth certificate stating Marylebone worrying they couldn't 'prove' they were born in London. Whatever, it turns out she will ignore whatever is here anyway as she has mailed the embassy. So...much ado about nothing, indeed.)

Edit: no idea how typical this one is but this, first hit on a Google search for Swiss birth certficate, does indeed have the place of birth on it. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RTfCJqivA...PIKak/s640/Birth+Certificate+Hans+Hirschi.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, could you be any ruder? I don't understand why you have such an attitude.

I've never applied for the Diversity Lottery and the form is the most important thing I will ever fill. They were VERY picky when I applied for my Student Visa two years ago so I learnt from that. I thought that the best thing I could do on a weekend when the embassy is closed is to look for a forum where people with experience could help me but instead you're mocking me for... um, trying to make sure I will list the right information? Really? If you are so bothered with threads like this then why do you even get involved - especially by posting rude stuff to make me feel bad about being insecure? I never asked for your help but I guess you are very bored with your life.

And also, I'M SO SORRY for getting in touch with the embassy regarding my question. What an idiot I am for not trusting an arrogant random on the internet more than the US embassy in my country.

Wow, could you be any ruder? I don't understand why you have such an attitude.

I've never applied for the Diversity Lottery and the form is the most important thing I will ever fill. They were VERY picky when I applied for my Student Visa two years ago so I learnt from that. I thought that the best thing I could do on a weekend when the embassy is closed is to look for a forum where people with experience could help me but instead you're mocking me for... um, trying to make sure I will list the right information? Really? If you are so bothered with threads like this then why do you even get involved - especially by posting rude stuff to make me feel bad about being insecure? I never asked for your help but I guess you are very bored with your life.

And also, I'M SO SORRY for getting in touch with the embassy regarding my question. What an idiot I am for not trusting an arrogant random on the internet more than the US embassy in my country.

Odd response.

You asked a question and were immediately given an accurate answer. You then came back and were considering putting inaccurate information - and you were told not to do that and you were reassured not to be stressing about it. That seems pretty darn good so far.

You then came back and basically said thanks for all the input (which came from several experts) but you were going to ignore what you had been told and contact the embassy! Not unsurprisingly the embassy confirmed exactly what you were told in the very first response.

Oh well. Good luck with your entry!