Citizenship

immig1961

What happens if one can't find a divorce document for a previous marriage when filing for citizenship? My green card was based on Employment. My previous spouse was not sponsored by me nor I by her for the green card. She was on an F2 based on my F1. thanks for your replies.

Being a polygamist is grounds for denial of naturalization so I think you'd better find proof of that divorce in case you've married again ;)

Being a polygamist is grounds for denial of naturalization so I think you'd better find proof of that divorce in case you've married again ;)

Where would that leave the Mormons (at least the Big Love types...pardon my reference to an HBO show if you didn't get that)?

Where would that leave the Mormons (at least the Big Love types...pardon my reference to an HBO show if you didn't get that)?

Well, those are already citizens so they don't have to naturalize ;) The other question is if a Mormon from a foreign country wants to come to the US with several wives, that applies to other polygamist religions by the way. I would assume they cannot naturalize under those circumstances.

I am having problems getting one. The county office can't race a record.

Did you file a divorce thru the lawyer? If so, your lawyer office must have a copy of your divorce decree.

The court offices (where divorces were finalized) always have divorce decree.

I concur with USGC485 - you should be able to get a copy from your lawyer or the county clerk. Mind you, that document will contain all the details of the divorce judgment.

Assuming that the divorce was processed in the US, another option is to contact the Vital Records Office in the state where the divorce was processed. You could obtain a certified copy of the record of divorce or annulment, which is a one page summary of the judgment. There is a cost associated with it and you normally receive the decree within a couple of weeks.

Hope this helps!

Find the divorce decree, visit the county and make a request. I believe most counties would kill to have you paid $15 for this document as they are bleeding money....:)