Citizenship through US military

jb90304

Registered Users (C)
For someone who is a GC holder, how long is that person required to stay in the military in order to obtain his/her citizenship?
I'm not asking how soon he/she can obtain the citizenship (from what I know, it's extremely quick though), I'm asking how long is he/she required to stay in military after getting the citizenship. Thanks in advance.
EDIT: Also, I'm talking about in a case that the person only has the conditional GC... I'm not sure if that makes a difference as far as eligibility to enlist in the miliary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if I was not being clear but I was asking... NOT about how long he/she have to be in the military to be able to apply for citizenship.
I was asking...... after the he/she apply for citizenship and then receive the citizenship, how long does he/she haev to stay in the military? I mean, I doubt that someone could just enlist and then withdraw from military as soon as they receive their citizenship.
I'm probably missing something which is what is making a bit confused but that's why I posted here to clarity.

Sorry if I was not being clear but I was asking... NOT about how long he/she have to be in the military to be able to apply for citizenship.
I was asking...... after the he/she apply for citizenship and then receive the citizenship, how long does he/she haev to stay in the military? I mean, I doubt that someone could just enlist and then withdraw from military as soon as they receive their citizenship.
I'm probably missing something which is what is making a bit confused but that's why I posted here to clarity.

Quick Google search shows the minimal term is 2 years of active duty + 6 years of inactive. Now whether you [or you friend] can get out of the contract, without raising suspicion of preconceived intent to find a loophole in the immigration system, it's a different question.

8 USC 1440 [INA 329]

(c) Revocation

Citizenship granted pursuant to this section may be revoked in
accordance with section 1451 of this title if the person is separated
from the Armed Forces under other than honorable conditions before the
person has served honorably for a period or periods aggregating five
years. Such ground for revocation shall be in addition to any other
provided by law, including the grounds described in section 1451 of this
title. The fact that the naturalized person was separated from the
service under other than honorable conditions shall be proved by a duly
authenticated certification from the executive department under which
the person was serving at the time of separation. Any period or periods
of service shall be proved by duly authenticated copies of the records
of the executive departments having custody of the records of such
service.

OK it depends in the branch. I know for sure that the air force will not enlist you until you have a ten year gc. army probably will. but there is a few buts:
1. As someone posted earlier, you are eligible for citizenship after serving only one day. That is true only for combat positions, which basically means you will have to go to war to be eligible to apply for citizenship after one day of service.
2. You are eligible to apply for citizenship after serving a year during "peaceful time", BUT your service doesn't officially start once you enlist, it starts after you go through boot camp and training for your military job, which can take months in some cases AND your green card must be still valid the day you apply for citizenship, so if you have less than a year and a half until the expiration date don't even bother.
3. As far as I remember US Army has three contact options 2, 3 (or 4) and 6 years. Which means that if you go with lets say 2 year option you will have to do active service for two years then 2 years in reserve. If you sign a contact for two years, they will give you the shittiest job available because it requires the least training and other recruits don't wanna do it.
4.keep in mind that if you join the military, its gonna be your lifestyle and its way easier to join than to get out.
5. I would suggest you to contact recruiters for all five branches today or asap.

Keep us posted