Citizenship Problem? Fraudulent Intent For Green Card?

Understood that it was a different circumstance, but my point was that it is a worse case scenario that they issue anyone the order to vacate the country and you still have ways to get around it. Assuming they revoke his green card, which I doubt will be the case, they will subsequently issue an order to vacate the country. Before or after they do that, he can similarly file an AOS.

Either your friend was lucky that USCIS didn't deny his adjustment of status, or there are other facts about his case that you are not aware of. Once somebody is in removal proceedings, they are not eligible to file for adjustment of status. So if they revoke his green card and he remains in the US to attempt AOS, his AOS will be rejected unless USCIS makes a mistake or uses their discretion to allow the AOS.

Actually if they did put me into deportation proceedings it looks like I might be eligible for a 212(a)(5)(A) Waiver. Not that I want to go that route if I don't have to. And at this point I certainly wouldn't tempt it without speaking to a lawyer first. But the nice thing about that waiver is any fraud or misrepresentation is essentially ignored and your LPR status is retained from the original date of your GC being issued (i.e., it's as if the fraud or misrepresentation never happened).

Actually if they did put me into deportation proceedings it looks like I might be eligible for a 212(a)(5)(A) Waiver. Not that I want to go that route if I don't have to. And at this point I certainly wouldn't tempt it without speaking to a lawyer first. But the nice thing about that waiver is any fraud or misrepresentation is essentially ignored and your LPR status is retained from the original date of your GC being issued (i.e., it's as if the fraud or misrepresentation never happened).

But what is the chance of having the waiver approved? Waivers are VERY hard to obtain.

The bottom line is that if you apply, you're not doomed to deportation. But your green card is not 100% safe either. You are taking a big gamble if you apply. There is a variety of possibilities, ranging from best to worst (plus maybe a few in between that I haven't thought of):

1. Best case scenario: Citizenship approved

2. Citizenship denied, green card preserved

3. Green card revoked, USCIS allows you to stay in the US to apply for a new green card via AOS

4. Green card revoked, you leave the US without a ban, eligible to reapply immediately for a green card based on marriage, you return to the US in a few months.

5. Green card revoked, you are deported with a ban for some number of years

6. Worst case scenario: Green card revoked, you are deported with a permanent ban

The OP,

I like the options presented throughout the thread, but the problem you have is proving that you didn't obtain your GC through fraud. By your own admission, there is some fraud involved, when it was approved which is a year after it was filed, you were in business school. I am yet to read of any employer sponsoring people in business school. If your case is adjudicated by an experience IO who is familiar with the H1B to GC process, I see toast coming out of you.

N400 has a question on obtaining an immigration benefit through fraud, and if USCIS can prove that this was obtain though untoward means, then you lose. Marriage to a USC will have no bearing on adjudication of your case, because you never worked for the employer on a full-time basis after you left, which means it was obtained for other purpose. I would like to be a fly in the wall during the adjudication of your case, eating kosher meat and driving it with grape juice...

If you lose, then USCIS might go for all the marbles against you, which can open a can of dog poop....

By your own admission, there is some fraud involved, when it was approved which is a year after it was filed, you were in business school.

You need to re-read what fraud is. While the OP might not have intended to work for the petitioning employer at the time the petition was approved, that is NOT fraud. Fraud would be if she never intended to work for the employer at all.

Marriage to a USC will have no bearing on adjudication of your case, because you never worked for the employer on a full-time basis after you left, which means it was obtained for other purpose. I would like to be a fly in the wall during the adjudication of your case, eating kosher meat and driving it with grape juice...

Actually marriage to a US citizen is pretty clear evidence that there is no fraudulent intent. She could have adjusted status without any difficulty on this basis, so there was no need to engage in fraud for an immigration benefit via the EB route and her course of action was an innocent mistake. The bona fide US citizen marriage and its longevity makes fraud almost impossible to prove.

You need to re-read what fraud is. While the OP might not have intended to work for the petitioning employer at the time the petition was approved, that is NOT fraud. Fraud would be if she never intended to work for the employer at all.

Really? I'm simply curious here, not intending this to particularly reflect on the OP's situation. Back five and more years ago, when many of us were trying to adjust our status and get green cards through employment, I recall a great deal of concern about the issue of job changes before the petition was processed and approved. Waiting lists were long and involuntary job loss was a real possibility, and for some, actuality. There was some kind of provision that, if your application was waiting long enough, you could port it to an equivalent position with another firm. But quitting your job to go off to business school would have been a big no-no, or that was my impression. I had the impression that if you lost your job and the green card subsequently came through, it was illegal to just accept it (although doubtless, some did this). The conventional wisdom back in the day was that if you did that, you'd get slaughtered if you ever tried to naturalize. Are all these recollections wrong? It wasn't a problem to file an I-485 then, before it was approved, quit the job and go off to grad school?

I keep reading that applying for USC is more difficult or more scrutiny when you are the spouse of a USC route. Can someone explain this to me? I read it over and over here yet then I see someone wrote how easy it was for them..Why is it harder?? TX

I had the impression that if you lost your job and the green card subsequently came through, it was illegal to just accept it (although doubtless, some did this).

While it is exceptionally unlikely that the GC could be preserved, there is no requirement in law or regulation that obligates an individual to return a GC given in error or when one is not eligible. It certainly isn't fraud since the OP made no false statements.

It wasn't a problem to file an I-485 then, before it was approved, quit the job and go off to grad school?

It is likely to be a problem, but it's not fraud. There's a difference.

Actually marriage to a US citizen is pretty clear evidence that there is no fraudulent intent. She could have adjusted status without any difficulty on this basis, so there was no need to engage in fraud for an immigration benefit via the EB route and her course of action was an innocent mistake. The bona fide US citizen marriage and its longevity makes fraud almost impossible to prove.

TRC,

Let us delve into the simple for the purposes of illuminating this discussion with a diversion, because your response above necessitates that we do so. This is what fraud is defined as:

1 a : deceit, trickery; specifically : intentional perversion of truth in order to induce another to part with something of value or to surrender a legal right b : an act of deceiving or misrepresenting : trick
2 a : a person who is not what he or she pretends to be : impostor; also : one who defrauds : cheat b : one that is not what it seems or is represented to be
synonyms see deception, imposture

In the case the OP presented, he clearly gained something of value from the employer (greencard). The employer lost something of value, money and human capital (the OP as employee), and never gained anything as a result of the act of the OP (leaving to pursue BS). Moreover, if the OP has indicated to the employer that he intends to go to BS, do you think the employer would have spend resources to procure a GC for the OP? We all know the answer to that question.

I like your certainty that his marriage to a USC for a long time defuse the possibility that fraud was involved, what a confident man. Have you ever heard of people whose cases and LPR status were revoked after decades in this country? In almost 90% of those cases, fraud didn't require proof beyond reasonable doubt, but rather the simple fact that more than likely or not he did commit an act of deception, and gained something of value which shouldn't been given in the 1st place. Anxious raise an important point regarding accepting a greencard after being laid-off, under what theory are you accepting it? TRC, please provide us some USCIS issued manual which condone such a behavior, because I am anxious to read about it...lol!!!

Under your theory, let take this example, a young couple recently married and one is an immigrant, wife files for the paperwork. Fast forward, interview is scheduled and attended, IO tells the couple, sorry, can't make a decision, you will receive something in the mail. Another fast forward, 3 months go by and no decision, wife has nuts attack, die due to allergy. What a tragedy!! Wife is buried and 2 months later, USCIS approves the case, I know you are asking, what is the approval date, two months after the wife has died. What is the husband supposed to do? Accept the GC and start over only for his balls to be busted when he naturalize or return it and indicate he's no longer entitled to the GC because the petitioner is deceased? I am all ears, TRC...will read your response, let me go and please my wife...lol!!! Oh....the husband also sue the offending party, which happens to be Cheesecake Factory, as the liable party for his wife's cause of dead, nuts in a mushroom soup and get $3million in settlement, what an unlucky man, wife is dead and he's a millionaire.

While it is exceptionally unlikely that the GC could be preserved, there is no requirement in law or regulation that obligates an individual to return a GC given in error or when one is not eligible. It certainly isn't fraud since the OP made no false statements.

It is likely to be a problem, but it's not fraud. There's a difference.

Thanks for the prompt explanation. Problem, but not fraud. That makes sense. Strictly from a non-lawyer, non-expert point of view, I was thinking the OP's situation sounded like a problem. I guess other posters brought up the "fraud" term, which you debunked. Still sounds like a situation in which it would be prudent to have an attorney, though.

TRC,

Let us delve into the simple for the purposes of illuminating this discussion with a diversion, because your response above necessitates that we do so. This is what fraud is defined as:

1 a : deceit, trickery; specifically : intentional perversion of truth in order to induce another to part with something of value or to surrender a legal right b : an act of deceiving or misrepresenting : trick
2 a : a person who is not what he or she pretends to be : impostor; also : one who defrauds : cheat b : one that is not what it seems or is represented to be
synonyms see deception, imposture

In the case the OP presented, he clearly gained something of value from the employer (greencard). The employer lost something of value, money and human capital (the OP as employee), and never gained anything as a result of the act of the OP (leaving to pursue BS). Moreover, if the OP has indicated to the employer that he intends to go to BS, do you think the employer would have spend resources to procure a GC for the OP? We all know the answer to that question.

I like your certainty that his marriage to a USC for a long time defuse the possibility that fraud was involved, what a confident man. Have you ever heard of people whose cases and LPR status were revoked after decades in this country? In almost 90% of those cases, fraud didn't require proof beyond reasonable doubt, but rather the simple fact that more than likely or not he did commit an act of deception, and gained something of value which shouldn't been given in the 1st place. Anxious raise an important point regarding accepting a greencard after being laid-off, under what theory are you accepting it? TRC, please provide us some USCIS issued manual which condone such a behavior, because I am anxious to read about it...lol!!!

Under your theory, let take this example, a young couple recently married and one is an immigrant, wife files for the paperwork. Fast forward, interview is scheduled and attended, IO tells the couple, sorry, can't make a decision, you will receive something in the mail. Another fast forward, 3 months go by and no decision, wife has nuts attack, die due to allergy. What a tragedy!! Wife is buried and 2 months later, USCIS approves the case, I know you are asking, what is the approval date, two months after the wife has died. What is the husband supposed to do? Accept the GC and start over only for his balls to be busted when he naturalize or return it and indicate he's no longer entitled to the GC because the petitioner is deceased? I am all ears, TRC...will read your response, let me go and please my wife...lol!!! Oh....the husband also sue the offending party, which happens to be Cheesecake Factory, as the liable party for his wife's cause of dead, nuts in a mushroom soup and get $3million in settlement, what an unlucky man, wife is dead and he's a millionaire.

Just to be clear, when my employer began the process to sponsor my green card I had every intention of continuing to work for them. More than two years later (and definitely more than 6 months after my I-485 application) I committed to going to business school and told my employer of my intentions. So there were no false or fraudulent statements on my application or to any immigration official.

Then as far as not telling USCIS that I was no longer working for the employer, it is true that an ommission was made that could be considered misleading. However for it to be truly a case of fraud, I think there has to be some outcome that would not have happened without the "fraud". In this case one could make the argument that since I could have easily switched my application to one based on spousal sponsorship, I would have gotten the green card regardless. So there was no material gain resulting from the ommission (not that I'm 100% sure this would easily be accepted).

All of this is just to say that I can see TRC's point. I don't know whether USCIS (or an immigration judge) would see it that way however. And not willing to chance at this point.

It is a game of risk management. No one will be able to give a guarantee of sliding this by. The best hope is that such questions are not asked, and that is done by waiting longer than what is usually expected. If you are filing 7 years after the green card or 9 years after the green card, the risks are reduced because they do not focus on old history ... unless they smell something weird anyway. If you are filing based on marriage, you are increasing the risks ... any experienced IO will ask why is this person applying based on marriage when the requirements are more, and not otherwise when the requirements are less. That will actually be a trigger to investigate further.

Again, it is a question of risk management, and risk appetite. If I were in OP's place, I would probably risk it by applying when any 5 calendar years are free of any other issues ... no traffic tickets, no voting without being citizen and so on ... absolutely clean 5 years (calendar years so tax returns are complete) and then go for it.

Fraud is really much simpler than you make it out to be. Was a false statement made by the alien on the I-485? If not, then there is no fraud - end of story. We all recognize that intent changes over time. Congress recognized it explicitly with AC21 ten years ago. And what you see here is nothing more than someone who intended on working for the employer at the time of filing. This was reinforced by the fact that she worked for the employer for several years. Intent changed, and she was misled by some idiot phone monkey. Would the employer have sponsored her had they known intent would change? There are many things we would never do if foresight were as clear as hindsight. But it's no different than a marriage-based GC where the marriage breaks down.

There is no fraud here, and the facts of the case overwhelming meet the burden of proof required. Again, why should she fraudulently pursue an EB case when there was a slam-dunk Immediate Relative case based on her marriage to a US citizen? That simple fact alone makes fraud less likely than mere misinformation, and therefore the burden of proof required has been met on the OP's part. But it is so easy for an armchair quarterback to run around claiming fraud. There seems to be so many here these days.

I like your certainty that his marriage to a USC for a long time defuse the possibility that fraud was involved, what a confident man. Have you ever heard of people whose cases and LPR status were revoked after decades in this country? In almost 90% of those cases, fraud didn't require proof beyond reasonable doubt, but rather the simple fact that more than likely or not he did commit an act of deception, and gained something of value which shouldn't been given in the 1st place.

And again, I ask you to point out the act of deception that has taken place. All the forms were filled out correctly and truthfully. At some point during the I-485 process, intent changed. The OP went so far as to inform USCIS of this and ask what to do, and unfortunately received poor advice from someone unqualified to give it. But perhaps I've missed something. What deceptive act took place (and before you say so, there was no deception committed in not informing USCIS - they have explicitly stated numerous times that aliens in EB-485 cases are under no obligation to inform USCIS proactively about changes in employment.)

Anxious raise an important point regarding accepting a greencard after being laid-off, under what theory are you accepting it? TRC, please provide us some USCIS issued manual which condone such a behavior, because I am anxious to read about it...lol!!!

What are you smoking? There is no legal provision regarding "accepting a Green Card", and there is no sanction for accepting one if issued in error. The worst that can happen is that USCIS rescind it.

I am all ears, TRC...will read your response, let me go and please my wife...lol!!! Oh....the husband also sue the offending party, which happens to be Cheesecake Factory, as the liable party for his wife's cause of dead, nuts in a mushroom soup and get $3million in settlement, what an unlucky man, wife is dead and he's a millionaire.

You're ranting. Please calm down. It does wonders for the quality of your posts.

Again, it is a question of risk management, and risk appetite. If I were in OP's place, I would probably risk it by applying when any 5 calendar years are free of any other issues ... no traffic tickets, no voting without being citizen and so on ... absolutely clean 5 years (calendar years so tax returns are complete) and then go for it.

I would also wait until AT LEAST five years have passed. Once this has occurred, USCIS can no longer initiate recission of permanent residency via a simple administrative procedure; it now needs to go to court and in such a circumstance an attorney can credibly negotiate since the worst case is that the GC was issued in the wrong category (EB vs. IR) and it's not a case of someone unqualified getting a GC.

With that said, I repeat my recommendation that the OP get competent legal advice. A $100 consultation is money well spent at this point to understand her legal situation and what her (and USCIS') options are.

At some point during the I-485 process, intent changed. The OP went so far as to inform USCIS of this and ask what to do, and unfortunately received poor advice from someone unqualified to give it.

They say ignorance of law is not an excuse which will hold up in courts. Quick questions based on above snippets
A) Isn't AC21 the process to inform CIS about the change of intent? Was that done? NO
B) Poor advice from someone in a call center. How will you prove it? You will need to prove a) who gave the advice, b) when, c) context d) mode of advice, and e) finally the legality of that person being able to advice.

I am expecting this case does not come to such questions. But if this were ever to get into court, these rationale are not going to cut it.

I keep reading that applying for USC is more difficult or more scrutiny when you are the spouse of a USC route. Can someone explain this to me? I read it over and over here yet then I see someone wrote how easy it was for them..Why is it harder?? TX

There's more scrutiny when applying 3 year rule due to the high incidence of marriage fraud.

I would also wait until AT LEAST five years have passed. Once this has occurred, USCIS can no longer initiate recission of permanent residency via a simple administrative procedure; it now needs to go to court and in such a circumstance an attorney can credibly negotiate since the worst case is that the GC was issued in the wrong category (EB vs. IR) and it's not a case of someone unqualified getting a GC.

And they may decide against going to court, due to the expense, and because they cannot be sure that the court will impose a ban even if they revoke the green card. It's probably not worth it to them to go through the revocation process if the individual can return a few months later via an immigrant visa. Although it's still possible they might aggressively prosecute the case because there is an anal district director who wants to make a point or set a precedent.

Just curious if it is that tough when somoene is say married like 20 years...vs 4 years for this application. Do they just classify it as married therefore extra hurdles/difficulty? Just curious.

There's more scrutiny when applying 3 year rule due to the high incidence of marriage fraud.

I really think the scrutiny varies depending on the IO. Again, I got my GC through work but when I applied for naturalization based on marriage, the only documents I sent in with my N-400 application to support this marriage clause were copies of my marriage certificate, wife's US passport and our son's birth certificate. At my interview, I had every single backing doc I could think of with me but I was not asked for anything except to verbally confirm my wife's and son's names. Maybe there was extra scrutiny processing done prior to my actual interview but I certainly did not feel any pressure from the IO during the interview.