Citizenship Interview - Two DUI Arrests - Both Reckless Driving Convictions

pradsy90

Experts -

I have the citizenship interview 4 weeks from now. I have 2 DUI arrests (One in 2010, One in 2014) both of which were pled down to Reckless Driving convictions.

I am going to the interview with all the final court disposition papers and the arrest records as well.

1. What to expect as questions about these records? What are the best answers and the worst answers?

2. If everything goes well, will I get an approved stamp right away or will it go through another round of internal processing with a supervisor?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Experts -

I have the citizenship interview 4 weeks from now. I have 2 DUI arrests (One in 2010, One in 2014) both of which were pled down to Reckless Driving convictions.

I am going to the interview with all the final court disposition papers and the arrest records as well.

1. What to expect as questions about these records? What are the best answers and the worst answers?

2. If everything goes well, will I get an approved stamp right away or will it go through another round of internal processing with a supervisor?

1. Best answer = the truth. Worst answer = lies
2. Hard for anyone here to say.

FYI, re 2, no-one gets an “approved stamp” right away. One of the options is “recommended for approval”, and all applications undergo a review before the decision is final:

From the uscis manual: “If an officer approves a naturalization application, the application goes through the appropriate internal procedures before the USCIS office schedules the applicant to appear at a ceremony for the administration of the Oath of Allegiance. The internal procedures include a “re-verification” procedure where all approved applications are reviewed for quality. The officer who conducts the re-verification is not the same officer who conducts the interview. While the officer conducting the re-verification process does not adjudicate the application once again, the officer may raise any substantive eligibility issues.” https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-b-chapter-4

Experts -

I think the questions that will be asked are the same standard questions: why?
You need to give clear answers as to why. Make the answers short. IF there are mitigating circumstances, mention those also. Whatever strategy you use, stick to the true facts, and make an effort not to confuse the officers with long long winded explanations. The 2010 issue is outside the 'relevant' time period, not sure about the 2014. Like what the guys have said, provide the honest facts, it's up to the officer to decide. Do not minimize these DUIs in front of the officer...'it was reduced to just a reckless driving, so it was not that serious'. Don't say that, these are still super serious issues. Good luck, and please share with the everyone your interview experience.

Hi All -

Closing out the loop for those interested for the future.

So, my interview went well. Here is what happened (synopsis)...

1. They asked me the usual questions. I answered them.

2. Then came the tricky part about the convictions.

As soon as my officer saw the convictions, the officer was like "I need you to give me all documents you have come with for these convictions including the arrest record and the court dispositions."
My original application had an error in one of the details about this conviction so I gave them a new page as well and told the officer that this is my modified application with the error corrected. They took that modified application (just that one sheet pg 4 I think) and all the documents I had.

The officer said upfront right after taking the documents, "considering we need to review this it is highly unlikely you will go for the ceremony later today". At this point in time the only advice I would give from my experience is, it got a little testy when we started discussing the criminal convictions. The officer was may be a little irritated that this is more work for them. The officer was also not happy that one of my arrest records (not the court disposition) was not a sealed envelope (that police department does not do sealed arrest records) but just a printed copy (the document said printed on xxxx). The officer was like "these are printed copies"... So, I was completely calm and did my best to not aggravate the situation and told her "Yes, these are printed copies of the pdf document sent to me from the police department" and left it at that.

3. I did the english aptitude test and the knowing the US history test. I think I aced both.

I thanked and left praying all the GODS. Three days letter I received notification that I was scheduled for the oath taking ceremony 21 days later.

I took the oath (there was another twist in those 21 days which is in a different post :) ) and am now a Proud Citizen of this great country.
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A