Citizenship Interview - Two DUI Arrests - Both Reckless Driving Convictions

Experts -

I have the citizenship interview 4 weeks from now. I have 2 DUI arrests (One in 2010, One in 2014) both of which were pled down to Reckless Driving convictions.

I am going to the interview with all the final court disposition papers and the arrest records as well.

1. What to expect as questions about these records? What are the best answers and the worst answers?

2. If everything goes well, will I get an approved stamp right away or will it go through another round of internal processing with a supervisor?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Sm1smom

Super Moderator
Experts -

I have the citizenship interview 4 weeks from now. I have 2 DUI arrests (One in 2010, One in 2014) both of which were pled down to Reckless Driving convictions.

I am going to the interview with all the final court disposition papers and the arrest records as well.

1. What to expect as questions about these records? What are the best answers and the worst answers?

2. If everything goes well, will I get an approved stamp right away or will it go through another round of internal processing with a supervisor?

1. Best answer = the truth. Worst answer = lies
2. Hard for anyone here to say.

SusieQQQ

FYI, re 2, no-one gets an “approved stamp” right away. One of the options is “recommended for approval”, and all applications undergo a review before the decision is final:

From the uscis manual: “If an officer approves a naturalization application, the application goes through the appropriate internal procedures before the USCIS office schedules the applicant to appear at a ceremony for the administration of the Oath of Allegiance. The internal procedures include a “re-verification” procedure where all approved applications are reviewed for quality. The officer who conducts the re-verification is not the same officer who conducts the interview. While the officer conducting the re-verification process does not adjudicate the application once again, the officer may raise any substantive eligibility issues.” https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-b-chapter-4

Experts -

I think the questions that will be asked are the same standard questions: why?
You need to give clear answers as to why. Make the answers short. IF there are mitigating circumstances, mention those also. Whatever strategy you use, stick to the true facts, and make an effort not to confuse the officers with long long winded explanations. The 2010 issue is outside the 'relevant' time period, not sure about the 2014. Like what the guys have said, provide the honest facts, it's up to the officer to decide. Do not minimize these DUIs in front of the officer...'it was reduced to just a reckless driving, so it was not that serious'. Don't say that, these are still super serious issues. Good luck, and please share with the everyone your interview experience.