Citizenship Interview - Postponed/cancelled

Saathi123

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I had my citizen ship interview scheduled along with my wife on July 22'nd. But just 2 to 3 days prior to that, I got a Phone call from local USCIS office saying that they did not recieve my file and the interview date has to be postponed. On the next day I recieved a letter from INS saying that due to unforseen circumstances my interview date has to be cancelled and they would let me know my next date. Has anyone had similar experience? How long is the wait in these cases?
Any response is appreciated.

Thanks

Yes - this has been seen on the forum. I believe all of the individuals who reported this have gotten a rescheduled interview. The time for a new interview date is dependant on your local office's schedule.

Hi,
I had my citizen ship interview scheduled along with my wife on July 22'nd. But just 2 to 3 days prior to that, I got a Phone call from local USCIS office saying that they did not recieve my file and the interview date has to be postponed. On the next day I recieved a letter from INS saying that due to unforseen circumstances my interview date has to be cancelled and they would let me know my next date. Has anyone had similar experience? How long is the wait in these cases?

Thanks

My wife got an interview cancelation notice from USCIS dated April 1st this year. We have been waiting since then and there is no word on the rescheduled interview letter. On of my friends got her rescheduled IL after 3 months.

It happens all the time. I was scheduled initially for April 10th which got descheduled.

I was rescheduled for July 7th. had my interview done on that day and the oath ceremony was yesterday, July 28th.

All you can do is wait.

Hi,

Thanks

This is exactly what happened to me and it was the start of my name check experience. It was 18 months after that letter that i heard anything from USCIS.

Everything in this world can be totally worthless, this guy is talking about cancelled interview and it is due by the Service Center not sending the file to the DO.
Infopass might or might not help this situation depends how S/he express the case and demands of the action right away.

I still believe no matter how worthless this might be but I rather talk to an IO face to face instead of on the phone with someone who doesn't know anything about immigration specially my case.

Everything in this world can be totally worthless, this guy is talking about cancelled interview and it is due by the Service Center not sending the file to the DO.
Infopass might or might not help this situation depends how S/he express the case and demands of the action right away.

I still believe no matter how worthless this might be but I rather talk to an IO face to face instead of on the phone with someone who doesn't know anything about immigration specially my case.
I had an appointment with Immigration officer this morning and he said that they got the file on July 8'th but he can't reveal the reasons for the postponement of my interview date which was july'22 and when I asked when can they reschedule my appointment he had no answer for that as well. Is there anything I can do or just wait. The reason for urgency is I am planning on applying for ISB hyd this fall and I can make my plans of R2I if I can get this done quickly.

I had an appointment with Immigration officer this morning and he said that they got the file on July 8'th but he can't reveal the reasons for the postponement of my interview date which was july'22 and when I asked when can they reschedule my appointment he had no answer for that as well. Is there anything I can do or just wait. The reason for urgency is I am planning on applying for ISB hyd this fall and I can make my plans of R2I if I can get this done quickly.

I usally ask for the supervisor if I don't get an answer to my quesiton. That is one of the reason I am a US citizen now otherwise I had to wait another month to become a US citizen.

Infopass and the second line customer Rep. on the phone have the same information.

I don't think so. Infopass officer works usually in DO but second line 1-800 rep. is not and acutally they have good info but any inquiery with them takes about 30 days to get to DO.

I don't think so. Infopass officer works usually in DO but second line 1-800 rep. is not and acutally they have good info but any inquiery with them takes about 30 days to get to DO.

IOs have access to the same system, whether the IO is in California or at the DO.

That's right. Truthfully, I found the IOs on the phone to be slightly more informative than the IOs at my local DO.

Iam naive to this form. Could you please tell me the phone# to talk to an IO over the phone.? Is that the same 1.800 number on the notice u get ???
Iam very frustrated and disappointed after I came to know that they have the file and yet cancelled my appointment. I just want to try whatever I can to get an interview scheduled and get the Naturalization process done before this year end so that I can make my plans of R2I in peace.

That's right. Truthfully, I found the IOs on the phone to be slightly more informative than the IOs at my local DO.

Our Do rocks here. I don't know about yours.

Bobsmyth, differenece is an IO in phoneline who pick up a call and he is located in chicago doesn't exactly know what is going on in a DO located in San Diego. I am talking about internal system.

Iam naive to this form. Could you please tell me the phone# to talk to an IO over the phone.? Is that the same 1.800 number on the notice u get ???
Iam very frustrated and disappointed after I came to know that they have the file and yet cancelled my appointment. I just want to try whatever I can to get an interview scheduled and get the Naturalization process done before this year end so that I can make my plans of R2I in peace.

It's the same 800 number that's on the notice. Dial options 1, 2, 6 to reach an operator. To get the operator to quickly transfer you to an IO, tell him/her that you sent in your N-400 more than 30 days ago and still haven't gotten a receipt. That'll trigger a transfer. Once an IO answers, explain your situation and ask what's going on with your application.

I....so that I can make my plans of R2I in peace.

This is definitely NOT something you want to tell an IO. Naturalization is only conferred on people who have an intent to reside in the US - of course intent can change, but going into it with a preconceived permanent departure date will get you into trouble.

There have been some such cancelled IV cases reported in this forum. I can't remember the details but if you can dig them up, you may get some clues as to how long it took for the 2nd IV letter to come.

I heard of one person who transferred to a foreign branch of the same company after applying and reloacted permanently. That person sailed though the process and I was really surprised. Of course the FP and IV trips were at the expense and excuse of "HQ visit".

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude.....345 days from PD to ID, and that's WITHOUT name check issues! My DO most definitely does NOT rock.

I was kidding, USCIS never rocks it sucks.

9 months and $670 and all extra expenses and extra seperation from my wife because they cancelled my Interview and not giving me same month oath.

Not to mention all of friends we got here :D

tags: citizenship, friendship, USCIS (these are to make sure my post won't be deleted [citizenship related])