Citizen sponsoring Parents for GC

kashinath

Registered Users (C)
Maybe some senior members can help here:

What is the procedure for a citizen to sponsor Parents for GC?

How long does it uusally take?

Is there a way that parents can come here on a tourist visa and stay here till their application for GC is approved?

What is a rough estimate of the cost involved for 2?

Thanks for any help on this..

Originally posted by kashinath
Maybe some senior members can help here:

What is the procedure for a citizen to sponsor Parents for GC?
File an I-130..

How long does it uusally take?

Is there a way that parents can come here on a tourist visa and stay here till their application for GC is approved?
Not recommended
What is a rough estimate of the cost involved for 2?

Thanks for any help on this..

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/parentapp.htm

Question on requirements - how long parents need to visit/stay US once they get green card

I am a US citizen and am planning to start the green card process for my mother who's in India. What's unclear to me is once we go throught the full process & after she becomes a green card holder, how often does she need to visit the US and how long does she need to stay in each visit? I have heard multiple versions such as required to visit yearly - and has to stay for atleast 6 months. Someone else told me once every 2 years for 1-2 months is all that is needed.

can someone please let me know?

Hey Real canadian - I am not sure I appreciate the language you used in your reply to me. You have no right to insinuate. You have no idea what my current personal situation is with me and my mother so if you don't have a specific answer, I am not forcing you to respond.

Hey Real canadian - I am not sure I appreciate the language you used in your reply to me. You have no right to insinuate. You have no idea what my current personal situation is with me and my mother so if you don't have a specific answer, I am not forcing you to respond.

It does not matter in the least what your personal situation is. You are asking "once we go throught the full process & after she becomes a green card holder, how often does she need to visit the US and how long does she need to stay in each visit?" The point is that there is NO magic number X for how often she needs to visit the U.S. and no magic number Y for how long she would have to stay for each visit.
The basic obligation of a green card holder in order to maintain the LPR status is to actually permanently reside in the U.S.
Anything short of that is insufficient, no matter how often one travels to the U.S. If she simply keeps coming to the U.S. for visits but actually resides abroad, it may work for a while, but eventually her green card will be taken away and revoked.
It is not a good idea to apply for a GC for your mother unless she actually plans to come and live in the U.S. permanently. You'll just be creating problems both for her and for yourself.

A greencard is for an immigrant to live in the U.S. permanently, it is not intented to be used as a "permanent" nonimmigrant visitor visa. Don't waste something that someone else would actually appreciate.

INA 101 DEFINITIONS

Sec. 101. [8 U.S.C. 1101]

(a) As used in this Act-

(20) The term "lawfully admitted for permanent residence" means the status of having been lawfully accorded the privilege of residing permanently in the United States as an immigrant in accordance with the immigration laws, such status not having changed.
(15) The term "immigrant" means every alien except an alien who is within one of the following classes of nonimmigrant aliens

(B) an alien (other than one coming for the purpose of study or of performing skilled or unskilled labor or as a representative of foreign press, radio, film, or other foreign information media coming to engage in such vocation) having a residence in a foreign country which he has no intention of abandoning and who is visiting the United States temporarily for business or temporarily for pleasure;

You have no idea what my current personal situation is with me and my mother so if you don't have a specific answer, I am not forcing you to respond.

I have a specific answer. If she is visiting the US, she does not reside in the US and is therefore at risk of losing her GC.

Don't get snippy just because you don't like the truth.

She is eligible to obtain a re-entry permit that will allow her to leave the US for a time up to 2 years from the date of approval. She can do that twice. But each time she is outside the country over 1 year, her "clock" for citizenship gets reset. If that happens then she can only apply for citizenship under the 4 year plus 1 day rule. For this rule to apply once she resumes her stay in the US there should be no trip beyond 6 months. Lately some OPs have reported that USCIS is paying attention to those who just come in and out to maintain their green card. USCIS can revoke the card if that happens. You will need to sue USCIS to get back the permanent residence status.