Citigroup Layoff Gloom....while on TN Status

TNDV2008

Registered Users (C)
As most of you have read....the current US economy is nearing a tailspin, and I work within Citigroup.

So far my division has not had any layoffs, since we are still profitable to the company, but I cant help but start to scan monster.com

My question is this...In the worst case scenario, If I get laid off, should I
1.) apply for B2 (wifey also, since she's on TD), and start searching for another job.
2.) apply for unemployment insurance in GA (since it's deducted every paycheck), or I scoot off to Ontario, my Canadian province of residence and apply for it.
3.) apply for US passports for my 2 US born toddlers.

1.) apply for B2 (wifey also, since she's on TD), and start searching for another job.

Yes.

2.) apply for unemployment insurance in GA (since it's deducted every paycheck), or I scoot off to Ontario, my Canadian province of residence and apply for it.

You cannot apply for UI in GA since you are not authorized to work when unemployed, and if you plan to finding new employment in the US I don't suggest you decamp for Canada.

3.) apply for US passports for my 2 US born toddlers.

You should do this anyways.

ooookay...:mad:

so I have been paying State & Federal Unemployment Insurance, yet I CANNOT claim for it....kinda screwy...

So why would SSI send me a letter informing me that "I have earned enough credits for SSI payments to my spouse & kids if I should die?"...for a total of $2,700 per month??

so I have been paying State & Federal Unemployment Insurance, yet I CANNOT claim for it....kinda screwy...

So why would SSI send me a letter informing me that "I have earned enough credits for SSI payments to my spouse & kids if I should die?"...for a total of $2,700 per month??

U can claim it, but for that you have to return to Canada (and that is not advisable if you plan to look for a job in the US). You will be able to claim it while remaining in the US after u get the green card!

TNDV, Unless you live in NJ, you have never paid UI in US, so don't feel ripped off. The employer pays UI, not the worker.

Social security is not UI. You will get SS when you retire.

For UI, you need to go back to Canada.

TNDV, Unless you live in NJ, you have never paid UI in US, so don't feel ripped off. The employer pays UI, not the worker.

Social security is not UI. You will get SS when you retire.

For UI, you need to go back to Canada.

SS from Canada or from US?

To BigBoy

.. You will be able to claim it while remaining in the US after u get the green card!

Ha! Ha! Ha!..Bigboy...U read my game plan...that's what I am waiting for....My 2008DV file number will become current between Aug 1st - Sept 30th 2008....I will race to Montreal for CP processing and get back into US with my GC in hand, and no more feeling uneasy about the "not allowed to look for work while on B2" argument.

I am about 95% confident that I will survive the layoffs, but as we all know, if economy goes crazy, then all hell might break loose.

Not to spoil your plans, but if you get laid off before getting GC, like now, you will be declared ineligible for UI at that point, and case file closed. You would be going back to canada to get UI at this point and stay there til your GC interview (nice summer vacation), or stay in US on B2 (mail-in of course, not border) and look for othe TN work. Your call at that point.

Be warned that the border *could* get antsy about letting you in at all (in TN or B2)if they get wind of your DV process, but that should be fine.

If you did stay in US and still didn't find work, It is doubtful that you would subsequently be declared eligible 6-8 months after the lay-off, after getting GC, but I may be wrong. The closer your layoff would be to getting GC of course might make your case more easily re-opened.

I'll leave you to look that up at GA UI site (where you will find info that employers payall UI premium :))Best scenartio, lose job just after getting GC; better yet, line up job for Oct 1.

No, with totalization agreement, you can work as little as 1.5 years or less (6 quarters) and collect some SS.

Dooms Day Scenario Comes True

..I am about 95% confident that I will survive the layoffs, but as we all know, if economy goes crazy, then all hell might break loose.

Oh Well!!!....my 5% chance of being laid off came true...argument was that most of the losses were coming from commercial side of the business, where 90% of the losses from builders & contractors being delinquent or simply going bankrupt.

I am now in the job search mode...and I wanted to get a few things clarified.

My "show-up-if-you-want" time ends Feb 4th, after which my "60 notice period" with FULL benefits & salary begins, ending on April 3rd. My "Termination Day" is April 3rd, on which I get 15% of my salary in lump sum as separation money.

My questions are:
1.) Should I apply for B2 on Feb 4th? ....or wait till my "official" termination date of April 3rd.
2.) Should I be concerned with the timeline taken to approve a B2, and as such, pay the expediting fee (2K for me & wifey)?

Last edited by a moderator:
1. I would wait. Now, I would not be leaving US during this time, as it could get dicey at the border, but technically, you are still employed, and, in fact, could get called back.

2. Under no circumtances should you spend any extra to get B2. You apply, that is enough. You don't really care about approval. you will either have left US or found another job before a decision comes back anyways. Just remember that you should stay in US until you really want to leave, or until you go back to border for TN, as entry after your lay-off without anothr job will be next to impossible until you re-establish Cdn residence.

Thanks Nelsona....

1. I would wait. Now, I would not be leaving US during this time, as it could get dicey at the border, but technically, you are still employed, and, in fact, could get called back.

2. Under no circumtances should you spend any extra to get B2. You apply, that is enough. You don't really care about approval. you will either have left US or found another job before a decision comes back anyways. Just remember that you should stay in US until you really want to leave, or until you go back to border for TN, as entry after your lay-off without anothr job will be next to impossible until you re-establish Cdn residence.

Thanks Nelsona for the responses.

For Q#1: I re-read the layoff contract and it states ..."You are hereby advices that this job discontinuance action, together with other job discountinuance actions at your site are permanent, and there will be no bumping rights...". This means there is no reasonable expection to be called back

For Q#2: I kinda care about avoiding being "out of status" for purposes of getting my DV lotto in Aug-Sept when my case # becomes current. If I attempt to switch to B2, and there's no response by April 13th (i.e. 10 days after "termination date"), could I end up being out of status???:confused:

for clarification...the only two reasons to cross the border will be -:

a) to get another TN (best case scenario) before April 3rd.

b) decamp to Canada (worst case scenario) to AVOID messing up GC via DV in Aug 2008.

Let me know if these lines of thinking are within reason.

You will not be out of status if you have submitted an I-539 in a timely fashion.

Since you are no longer working as of feb 4, you can file then if you want, you will be in B2 pending from that instant (any dependants would need to file at the same time.

You can go get another TN any time between now and your DV appt. So are in status and allowed to get another TN. there is nothing magical about april 3, 13th or any othwr day, so long as you have submitted an I-539 while still in TN status