Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

just returned from the interview. got through...
Was very easy ..Asked me to wait in the lobby and gave the appointment letter for oath on 13th October.( Much earlier than i expected).
Just asked for a state ID and green card.
Thanks to every one for their support through this journey.

Any traffic tickets in your case? If so, how did you handle them? I have 3 speeding tickets and paid fine. Just want to be prepared for it. Also, any issue with employment (like leaving the GC sponsoring employer soon after GC approval). Your advice please. Thanks.

I received both yellow letter( In fact it is not yellow in color :) ) and IL in same cover.
The doc check list says unless the trafffic tickets are more than 500$ or DUI or drug related we dont need to bring any documents.
Mine is a straightforward case as i was with the same employer till i got my GC(stayed till 2 yrs with the same emplyer even after GC). Later i changed jobs..Was on my own for a while. The officer just asked about my current emplyement and previous employements and checked with my application. He will verify the details like your marriage date,marriage status,kids and current address to make sure what is on the application did not change. Other than that the interview was formal and the officer was nice.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

I received both yellow letter( In fact it is not yellow in color :) ) and IL in same cover.
The doc check list says unless the trafffic tickets are more than 500$ or DUI or drug related we dont need to bring any documents.
Mine is a straightforward case as i was with the same employer till i got my GC(stayed till 2 yrs with the same emplyer even after GC). Later i changed jobs..Was on my own for a while. The officer just asked about my current emplyement and previous employements and checked with my application. He will verify the details like your marriage date,marriage status,kids and current address to make sure what is on the application did not change. Other than that the interview was formal and the officer was nice.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

That's all I need. Thanks a lot. Enjoy your new status.

You know I did get a replacement letter from Chicago DO for the missing IL. however, it asks me to refer to the original letter for the docs that I need to bring. Funny for you?? not for me.

My gf and her sister have joined me in the N400 game :)

Applicant 1:

12/04/2004 - Permanent Resident

N-400 Timeline
----------------------
09/25/2009 : N-400 Mailed to Phoenix, AZ (USPS)
09/04/2009 : Check Cashed.
09/30/2009 : Priority Date.
10/06/2009 : NOA Received
xx/xx/20xx : FP Notice Received ( I-797C).
xx/xx/20xx : FP done on scheduled date
xx/xx/20xx : Interview Letter & Check list.
xx/xx/20xx : Interview Date
xx/xx/20xx : Oath Letter.
xx/xx/20xx : Oath Date.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Applicant 2:

12/04/2004 - Permanent Resident

N-400 Timeline
----------------------
09/25/2009 : N-400 Mailed to Phoenix, AZ (USPS)
09/04/2009 : Check Cashed.
09/30/2009 : Priority Date.
10/06/2009 : NOA Received
xx/xx/20xx : FP Notice Received ( I-797C).
xx/xx/20xx : FP done on scheduled date

Update

Hi everyone,

So after 6 months, still no interview for me. In fact, no update since the yellow checklist back in June. I keep getting conflicting information on my case. If I call the 800#, they tell me that my name check is still in process (although sometimes even they tell me it's done). I did an infopass a few weeks back and they said everything is done and I just have to wait now for them to transfer the file to the local DO. I put in an inquiry and yesterday I got an email that "We are actively processing this case. However, we have to perform additional review on this case and this has caused a longer processing time."

So anyone have any idea of what this all means? What could possibly have prompted them to do an additional review of my case? I don't even have traffic tickets!!!

SS

Hi everyone,

So after 6 months, still no interview for me. In fact, no update since the yellow checklist back in June. I keep getting conflicting information on my case. If I call the 800#, they tell me that my name check is still in process (although sometimes even they tell me it's done). I did an infopass a few weeks back and they said everything is done and I just have to wait now for them to transfer the file to the local DO. I put in an inquiry and yesterday I got an email that "We are actively processing this case. However, we have to perform additional review on this case and this has caused a longer processing time."

So anyone have any idea of what this all means? What could possibly have prompted them to do an additional review of my case? I don't even have traffic tickets!!!

SS

I feel sorry for your situation. I guess you can try contacting your local senator or Congressman after waiting for another 6 to 8 weeks. Sometimes they can help in those situations. Other than that, there is nothing much you can do at this stage since you already utilised the Infopass option. I am wondering too as to why it should take so long when you don't even have traffic ticket, as you mentioned. My worry is the same here, not to get into one of these situations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just received Receipt

N-400 Timeline
----------------------
09/28/2009 : N-400 Mailed to Phoenix, AZ (USPS)
10/01/2009 : Priority Date.
10/09/2009 : NOA Received
xx/xx/20xx : FP Notice Received
xx/xx/20xx : FP done

I just received my fingerprinting notice for a date 2 weeks out. Does anyone know if the citizenship process moves faster if I get the fingerprinting done earlier than the scheduled date?

I have travel plans out of the country in Jan and am hoping to receive my citizenship done before that.

I just received my fingerprinting notice for a date 2 weeks out. Does anyone know if the citizenship process moves faster if I get the fingerprinting done earlier than the scheduled date?

I have travel plans out of the country in Jan and am hoping to receive my citizenship done before that.
As I understood in case of optimistic scenario they schedule interview in 4 months from receipt date. And then there is naturalization itself. So I doubt January is realistic, though good luck.

FP is not the problem. It's done pretty fast. The main waiting period is receiving IL for some applicants. Then the interview.

Update?

FP is not the problem. It's done pretty fast. The main waiting period is receiving IL for some applicants. Then the interview.

Hi there, I have been monitoring your timeline as my dates are kind off 3-4 weeks behind yours and so far, having completed my FP on Sep 12, still have not heard anything in regards to the IL or ID. According to the back of the envelope calculuations, I should be getting notified sometime in the next 2-3 weeks atleast on my IL, or so I hope.

My question: Are you considering getting an infopass? Or any reason you think where there is such a delay (relatively speaking) in getting an ID? Any thoughts or perspective? Thanks!

Infopass won't do any good as long as we are within the official processing timeline. They will not reveal any info. Also, Chicago DO seems to be kind of slow compared to other DO's. I am also watching the timelines here very often and my thought is to give it few more weeks and then start thinking about other options like Infopass. My FP was done on 08/25/09 and I think it is not a bad idea to wait until 11/10/2009. I only hope that I don't have to wait that long. Lots of folks who did FP around the same time as mine got their IL's long back but I can't do anything about it.

Does anyone have an idea what the timeline is in Chicago for the oath, once the interview is done?

For some people (who are local) they give the oath letter the same day and oath will be a week after that, if the oath is in Chicago downtown. For out of Chicago people, it depends on the local district court judge. Could take a month sometimes.

For some people (who are local) they give the oath letter the same day and oath will be a week after that, if the oath is in Chicago downtown. For out of Chicago people, it depends on the local district court judge. Could take a month sometimes.

Thanks for that! What counts as local, though? Do the north suburbs count as local (e.g. Evanston)?