Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

See signature. Could not believe it. Caller ID shows 1-234-567-8900, thought it was a telemarketeer, voicemail was lady from CIS asking me if I would mind attending the oath ceremony on Thursday June 11. She calls me agin this morning to give me the details. Unbelievable.

I guess she called because there is hardly any time between now and the Oath Ceremony on the 11th. But how are you going to get the letter in time?

No letter required

She said the letters went out late and we would not need them. I would think that they have a list with them at the ceremony.

She said the letters went out late and we would not need them. I would think that they have a list with them at the ceremony.

Great! Just a few tips about the Chicago ceremony - Cameras are allowed, but no video cameras in the court room. Visitors are seated after the new citizens are seated. However, if you have young kids with you, they do not separate the kids from the parents.

Enjoy the ceremony!

This website has been invaluable

Through the years from GC to citizenship. I dont know how I would have survived without it.

Prithis, you're all done, but struggling to wean yourself off the website, huh? Thanks for the tips. I have two kids, 5 and 9 and they can be a handful in the best of circumstances. What happens if they get restless? Is there any situation where they have to be separated from the parents?

Through the years from GC to citizenship. I dont know how I would have survived without it.

Prithis, you're all done, but struggling to wean yourself off the website, huh? Thanks for the tips. I have two kids, 5 and 9 and they can be a handful in the best of circumstances. What happens if they get restless? Is there any situation where they have to be separated from the parents?

I dont think I will ever be completely gone from this website. The wife got parents in India. Also I will be applying for Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) soon.

They will not separate you from the kids at any time. At Courtroom 2525 they have a section where they seat Oath-takers with kids in tow, along with the elderly, handicapped, pregnant women etc. So you will probably be seated there with the kids. If the kids need to go to the restroom, you can inform the clerk and excuse yourself (but not while the Oath is in progress). If everyone is seated and the judge has still not arrived, then they allow people to get up and walk about. The actual ceremony takes not more than 15 minutes. Restrooms are just down the corridoor.

Email Case Status Info...

Decided to sign up for email confirmation about Case Status on uscis.gov
Do they send an email when they change status on their site? Is it the same day? How it works?

Decided to sign up for email confirmation about Case Status on uscis.gov
Do they send an email when they change status on their site? Is it the same day? How it works?

I signed up for email confirmation too. However I never received any email (except once when I forgot my password) during the entire 4 month process. I guess that is because my online status never changed even though I became a citizen, and to this day the status shows as "received and pending".

Thanks.
Waiting is killing me....
My status hasn't change since I started neither, but I thought that they change it when they schedule an interview...

Thanks.
Waiting is killing me....
My status hasn't change since I started neither, but I thought that they change it when they schedule an interview...
Relax dude! It is not even couple of months since you applied. There are folks waiting for much longer period. Have patience.

All Done

Oath letters arrived by mail in the afternoon after we got back from our oath ceremony with natur certs in hand.. CIS works in mysterious ways.

In any case, glad to be all done. Was too tired to do the PP. Traffic was crazy, got to the courtroom at 8:48. Turns out the Judge himself was late. The CIS folks were real nice.

Final step of a 15 year old journey. Good luck to all else. Unless something dramatically changes, don't sweat the small stuff. As long as you satisfy the basic eligibility criteria (residence, presence, moral character etc.), you have nothing to worry about. I had a break in residence (worked in India for ten months, tried the move to India thing and did not work out), but filed taxes and had zero questions on that.

Finger prints done and cleared by CIS division of FBI. But Still nothing changes in online status. Its not even acknowledging finger prints status ??

Naperville ASC

Just got the FP notice at the Naperville ASC. When I applied for N-400 a couple of weeks ago, I didn't even know there was an ASC in Naperville, I thought I'd have to go downtown for everything. So this is a nice surprise.

I looked up the address (888 S Route 59) on google maps, which puts it just south of 75th Street on Route 59. I know this can't be true because there's a Costco and a Lowe's there and nothing else.

Does anybody know how busy that ASC is and what are the chances of doing the FP early? I have a trip planned during those days, and would want to do the FP early if the center isn't usually busy (and if they accomodate such requests).

Just got the FP notice at the Naperville ASC. When I applied for N-400 a couple of weeks ago, I didn't even know there was an ASC in Naperville, I thought I'd have to go downtown for everything. So this is a nice surprise.

I looked up the address (888 S Route 59) on google maps, which puts it just south of 75th Street on Route 59. I know this can't be true because there's a Costco and a Lowe's there and nothing else.

Does anybody know how busy that ASC is and what are the chances of doing the FP early? I have a trip planned during those days, and would want to do the FP early if the center isn't usually busy (and if they accomodate such requests).

First the location: The ASC is located opposite the Michaels Fresh Market (which is next to the Sams Club). So as you drive into that compound from Rt59, turn right at the 3-way stop, and turn right again into the parking area. There is a board marked "Application Support Center".

Now the early FP: I and my wife tried to do early FP about a week earlier, as we had a genuine conflict on our scheduled date. I spoke to the lady security guard and explained the reason for the early FP. She suggested that I could re-schedule or come on a Saturday after my scheduled date. Me and my wife offered to wait till everyone else was done, but she turned rude and continued to deny early FP. So we left disappointed and returned on our scheduled date.

Regarding how busy it is: It did not look busy, in my opinion, the waiting area had a few people, but security guard claimed that they were running back to back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Naperville center

Just got the FP notice at the Naperville ASC.

I used to fingerprint there twice when applying for greencard some years ago (around 2003). The office was not busy. The officers were quite nice (just regular people doing their jobs). I've got in and out in no time.

I used to fingerprint there twice when applying for greencard some years ago (around 2003). The office was not busy. The officers were quite nice (just regular people doing their jobs). I've got in and out in no time.

Oh sure they are nice and efficient - if you turn up on the scheduled day. On my scheduled day I was in and out in less than 15 minutes.

If however you request early fingerprinting, it can turn out to be different. All the niceties were dispensed off and I was given marching orders :D. I was as polite as can be, and I offered to wait till everyone else in the queue was done.

If however you request early fingerprinting, it can turn out to be different. All the niceties were dispensed off and I was given marching orders :D. I was as polite as can be, and I offered to wait till everyone else in the queue was done.

"early fingerprinting"? What's that? Did you request to fingerprint sooner? ??? Please en light me. :)

"early fingerprinting"? What's that? Did you request to fingerprint sooner? ??? Please en light me. :)

Early fingerprinting is when an applicant tries to walk-in on a date earlier than his scheduled fingerprinting appointment date. The original poster (brahmachari99) had asked about early fingerprinting at this office, and my attempt to do this (due to a conflict) at this office was unsuccessful.

Now the early FP: I and my wife tried to do early FP about a week earlier, as we had a genuine conflict on our scheduled date. I spoke to the lady security guard and explained the reason for the early FP. She suggested that I could re-schedule or come on a Saturday after my scheduled date. Me and my wife offered to wait till everyone else was done, but she turned rude and continued to deny early FP. So we left disappointed and returned on our scheduled date.

I will cancel my plans to try to do an early FP then. I don't want to piss off any USCIS personnel, even if it's just a guard.

brahmachari99 and patrickchicago can you please add your time line into signature? This might be helpful to the others.
Thanks