Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

I have been waiting for over 10 weeks since the fingerprint process is finished.

Isn't this unusually long?

10 weeks seems to be long for the Chicago DO going by the recent timelines. Why dont you call FBI and USCIS and start inquiring.

Hi ,

Thanks prithis, called the FBI today (options 2,5 &3) and they asked for A number and told me that they received the FP on 28 and snet it back the same day.

Can someone tell what does it mean?

The background check that FBI conducts for N-400 applicants at USCIS requests consists of two parts:

(1) a fingerprint check where they run your fingerprints through a criminal database

and

(2) FBI Name Check.

Part (1) was always done very quickly, usually on the same day FBI received the request from USCIS; this also seems to have been the case with you.
Part (2), the FBI Name Check, used to take from a few days to a few years. Recently they seem to have sped up the FBI Name Check process and it does not seem to take more than a few months now, at worst. However, when you call the FBI, they ONLY release the info about the status of the fingerprint check and never any info about the status of the FBI Name Check. So in your case the FBI's response shows that part (1) was completed but you cannot draw any conclusions from that about the status of part (2), the FBI Name Check. USCIS will not schedule an interview until the FBI Name Check is completed. The only way to find the status of your FBI Name Check is through an INFOPASS appointment or an inquiry via your congressional representative (or to get an interview letter).

Hi,
I recently mailed my N- 400 and already had my FP appointment done. I wish i got here earlier to find out that I can do my FP before the appointment, but...

Does enyone know how often Oath Ceremonies are held in Chicago?

Hi,
I recently mailed my N- 400 and already had my FP appointment done. I wish i got here earlier to find out that I can do my FP before the appointment, but...

Does enyone know how often Oath Ceremonies are held in Chicago?

Follow this link for Chicago Oath Ceremonies. They update it each month-beginning:
http://www.ilnd.uscourts.gov/Press/ceremony.cfm

The dates drop off as the month progresses. So for June there were ceremonies on the 1st and 3rd that are no longer being displayed.

your case status disappear once the interview is scheduled. At least, that's what happened with me and my wife. My timeline is in my signature.

Hopefully, that's true for all cases. I just noticed my case status is gone as well.

10 weeks seems to be long for the Chicago DO going by the recent timelines. Why dont you call FBI and USCIS and start inquiring.

I called FBI, and they said the fingerprint result has been sent back to USCIS.

USCIS was not helpful at all as expected - Chicago DO is currently processing N-400s from Oct 2008, so your case wouldn't be processed for another 120 days. Blah, blah, blah...

USCIS was not helpful at all as expected - Chicago DO is currently processing N-400s from Oct 2008, so your case wouldn't be processed for another 120 days. Blah, blah, blah...

You probably spoke to an agent who gave you a canned response. You can get more "creative" with your next call to the USCIS. I never tried this, but some threads on this forum say that you can claim a missing receipt number when your call is answered, and this could trigger your call to be forwarded to a "second level IO" who can access more information about your case.

Hi folks,

I sent my application out on 05/28/09. However, I sent a money order and not a personal check. I have not received anything back from immigration yet. How can I find out the Priority Date?

Thanks

Hi folks,

I sent my application out on 05/28/09. However, I sent a money order and not a personal check. I have not received anything back from immigration yet. How can I find out the Priority Date?

Thanks

A tracked method of delivery or a personal check would have helped you to confirm receipt at their end. You will need to wait for the receipt notice, which should arrive in about 2-4 weeks time.

Need advice.
i completed my 4 yrs 9 months on June 1st and i am eligible to file my N-400. I am planning to send in my application ASAP. But i am planning for a trip outside the country for 3 weeks starting from July second week.
1) If i file my application today what is the expected time for FP? If i am not present for the FP date can i re schedule it? Does it greatly impact my Citizenship process time?
2) Do they send FP and interview letters only i coplete 5 years?( In that case i will be back in town by that time).
Any advise/thoughts are greatly appreciated.

First of all, make sure it's 90 days before your GC's 5th year anniversary, not 3 months before. Second, the FP notice usually arrives about 2 weeks after filing and then the FP is scheduled about 2 weeks in advance. So it might be prudent to delay your filing until you're back from your trip or else you might miss your FP appointment.

Need advice.
i completed my 4 yrs 9 months on June 1st and i am eligible to file my N-400. I am planning to send in my application ASAP. But i am planning for a trip outside the country for 3 weeks starting from July second week.
1) If i file my application today what is the expected time for FP? If i am not present for the FP date can i re schedule it? Does it greatly impact my Citizenship process time?
Anywhere from 1-4 weeks after sending in application, depending on DO. If you receive FP letter while you are away, you can always try a walk in or reschedule after you return provided it is within 30 days of original appointment.
2) Do they send FP and interview letters only i coplete 5 years?( In that case i will be back in town by that time).
Any advise/thoughts are greatly appreciated.

They do send FP before you have completed 5 years as LPR, but try to schedule interview only after you have reached 5 years although some posters have reported being scheduled for an interview before 5 years as LPR only to be rescheduled, or in rare instances denied. If you don't have anyone watching your mail while you are gone, save yourself the worries and apply after you return.

Thanks Eltoro and Bobsmyth for your reply. I greatly appreciate your advise.
I live in Chicago and i have some one to watch my mail.

Eltoro,
Can you please clarify the 90days caluculation please. My GC date is 09/01/2004 (Resident since 09/01/2004). I was out of the country on two instances. First time for a week and second time for 2 weeks. So does that count in my caluculation? I was told by quite few pweopl that if you are away for 6 months only it matters and as i was away for only 21 daya i can go ahead and file N-400.

Pl advice and thanks for your time in advance.

http://timeanddate.com/date/dateadded.html?m1=9&d1=1&y1=2009&type=sub&ay=&am=&ad=90&aw=

Three months before 9/1/2009 is 6/1/2009, however 90 days before 9/1/2009 is 6/3/2009. People have been denied for applying too early if the application reached USCIS before 90 days was up.

No, time out of the country does not count unless you have broken your continuous residence requirement, which according to your post you did not.

You're good to go now, since it's June 8 :) Just make sure you don't put your mail on hold and have someone check your mailbox when you're away.

Thanks. that is a great relief!!!. I will go ahead and mail my application.
From the post i believe my interview date should be only after September 1st.
Thanks once gaian.

Phone call for Oath Scheduling

See signature. Could not believe it. Caller ID shows 1-234-567-8900, thought it was a telemarketeer, voicemail was lady from CIS asking me if I would mind attending the oath ceremony on Thursday June 11. She calls me agin this morning to give me the details. Unbelievable.