Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

Oath Letter

Any one received Oath letter recently. Had my interview on 02/27/2007, and passed the interview and waiting for oath letter?

I heard people getting oath letter in a week's time after the interview.

That's what I thought too :-(

It's been a month, and I'm still awaiting an oath letter. My file keeps on getting updated once a week usually on Fridays, but they haven't issued me an oath letter. I wonder what's taking them this long. Couple of weeks ago I tallied up some results, and generally for Chicago area, oaths are received by the recipient in about 7 to 10 days. I'm on my 1 month + 1 day, and no sign yet.

All, I had my citizenship interview today as scheduled. IO asked for the following documents only IL, GC, Drv-LIC & PASSPORT even though, I had other usual documents such as tax transcripts, Selective Service letter e.t.c. Immediately, IO asked me to raise my right hand up and swear that I promised to tell the truth. Upon completion of swearing in, IO then began asking US history questions. I was asked six questions only as I had answered all questions correctly. Next, IO confirmed detail information as written down on my N400 appli. Finally, I was given the N-652 form stating I had passed English and US History test but my application could not be approved at this point because IO had my temporary file. IO lacked authority to approve my citizen petition using my I-485 temp file. The supervisor will need to approve it. Moreover, IO will try to request for my original I-485 form from archives. USCIS (INS) already admitted to losing petition (I-485) during my GC filing stage. I guess someone on the inside needs to inform IO that my original petition is actually lost. Back then, I was given a set of new application to fill out which is the one my GC was granted on and the IO is calling my temp file. The question I have is why USCIS would schedule me for an interview if they know they only had my temp file. This is a case of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing. In addition, my initially petition that was lost by USCIS occurred back in 1999. Why is this subject still coming up after all this years? Now I'm been told by the IO that a request for my original petition will be made and it could take up to 90 days before IO receives it. However, if it can be safely confirmed that original petition is actually lost then I should get an approval letter and oath notification within 30 days. My total length of interview was less than 10 minutes and the IO was very professional, kind and very friendly. Overall, I would say I had a good experience considering the old days of the INS at 10 west Jackson. Hopefully, my wait won't be for a long time. :)

- Regards.
- Tightcat.

tightcat

I assume you told the IO about the lost file. If in case you don't receive oath letter in 30 days, I suggest contacting a Senator from illinois.

I had a different problem with my 485 in texas, and which I believe might be the reason I got a IL last month after contacting the Senator's office.

Good Luck!

All, I had my citizenship interview today as scheduled. IO asked for the following documents only IL, GC, Drv-LIC & PASSPORT even though, I had other usual documents such as tax transcripts, Selective Service letter e.t.c. Immediately, IO asked me to raise my right hand up and swear that I promised to tell the truth. Upon completion of swearing in, IO then began asking US history questions. I was asked six questions only as I had answered all questions correctly. Next, IO confirmed detail information as written down on my N400 appli. Finally, I was given the N-652 form stating I had passed English and US History test but my application could not be approved at this point because IO had my temporary file. IO lacked authority to approve my citizen petition using my I-485 temp file. The supervisor will need to approve it. Moreover, IO will try to request for my original I-485 form from archives. USCIS (INS) already admitted to losing petition (I-485) during my GC filing stage. I guess someone on the inside needs to inform IO that my original petition is actually lost. Back then, I was given a set of new application to fill out which is the one my GC was granted on and the IO is calling my temp file. The question I have is why USCIS would schedule me for an interview if they know they only had my temp file. This is a case of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing. In addition, my initially petition that was lost by USCIS occurred back in 1999. Why is this subject still coming up after all this years? Now I'm been told by the IO that a request for my original petition will be made and it could take up to 90 days before IO receives it. However, if it can be safely confirmed that original petition is actually lost then I should get an approval letter and oath notification within 30 days. My total length of interview was less than 10 minutes and the IO was very professional, kind and very friendly. Overall, I would say I had a good experience considering the old days of the INS at 10 west Jackson. Hopefully, my wait won't be for a long time. :)

- Regards.
- Tightcat.

Globeseer, yes I made the IO aware of the lost file (original I-485) and she acknowledged it too based on some work notes history in my "B" file. However, IO said something to the effect that it appears that there are two files opened and that the lost file needs to be administratively closed out, perhaps combined both files into one file. Only then can the supervisor approve my citizenship petition using the temp (B) file. Hopefully, it won’t take USCIS 365 day to come to the realization that my initial petition was somehow misplaced. Hope the clarification helps!
Definitely, I plan on reaching out to one of congressman if the waiting gets beyond thirty days. Prayerfully, it won't. Globeseer I appreciate ur concern. Thanks mate.

- Tight

Tightcat, I am sorry hear a unexpected hold up of your case due to INS stupidity. I hope your case will be resolved real soon.

Today, I had my Oath ceremony and I am done with INS hopefully for this life. I have still complete mundane chores like getting passport etc but I don't think they could be as bad. In total it took me 106 days from the day they received my application. Below is my timeline

----------
Nov 15 2006: Application Sent
Nov 22 2006: Application Received
Nov 22 2006: Priority Date
Nov 22 2006:Application Processed/Case # Available
Nov 24 2006:Checks Cashed
Dec 6 2006:: Received Fingerprint Appointment Notice for 12/13/2006
Dec 13 2006:: Completed Fingerprints
Dec 29 2006 :: Interview notice (sent Dec 21st)
Feb 14th 2007 :: Interview Completed
Mar 7th 2007:: Oath Completed

Tightcat, sorry to hear about your situation. I agree with another post that you should push hard for the process to move forward. If you don't hear anything in the next month, do everything you can including contacting the senator(s).

Good luck!

Oath - March 20th at Dirkenson Bldg.

I called up USCIS, and was told that the letter is in the mail. She was kind to tell me that my Oath is scheduled for March 20th at noon.:) :)

what is the number to call USCIS

I called up USCIS, and was told that the letter is in the mail. She was kind to tell me that my Oath is scheduled for March 20th at noon.:) :)

What is the number you called to check about the oath cermony?

Chicagobears - the number 800-375-5283; options: 1226221 {usually the person who answer, will ask lot of question, just tell them you need to talk to the IO, and that your application has been approved but waiting on oath day, otherwise they'll continue to ask even more non-revelant questions to your case}

Naumank4273 - my case disappeared probably a week later after they sent out the Interview Letter. Since then I never went to the USCIS website.

Is there any pattern in the way USCIS schedules the oath? It seems that some people got the letter in a week but others had to wait for much longer.

I saw some posts in which people described how the IOs scheduled OC at the interview. I guess this is not the practice in Chicago?

Does the oath letter come from the NSC or from Chicago locally?

Oath Letter

I received my Oath letter for March 20th. Oath letter was March 5th, and mailed March 8th.

Chicago District oath letter was mailed from Lincoln, Nebraska. The Postage meter said "Mailed from zip code 68508"

I received my Oath letter for March 20th. Oath letter was March 5th, and mailed March 8th.

Chicago District oath letter was mailed from Lincoln, Nebraska. The Postage meter said "Mailed from zip code 68508"
NoJob, Congrats!
Can you share how you found out the date your NC was cleared? And did you also find out why it took almost 5 months to get NC cleared?

Received oath notice for 12pm March 22. The letter was printed on March 8 and mailed on March 9. The journey is almost over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chicago Passport Agency

Has anyone applied for a passport at the Chicago Passport Agency?

How many days before should I call to make an appointment?

Congratulations On Receiving Oath Letter!!!

Received oath notice for 12pm March 22. The letter was printed on March 8 and mailed on March 9. The journey is almost over.

Naumank4273, congratulations on your oath letter.:) I'm really happy for you. Can you beleive it that you are finally at the end of this interesting journey. Now you can move on to other things. Hopefully, I can say the same b/4 month end. All the best.
Cheers.
Tightcat.

Interview Prep

Folks, Would the US civics booklet given at FP suffice to answer questions at the Interview ?

I know names of senators and CJ.

Thanks in advance!