Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

updated timeline

prg321 said:
I had my interview on 11/28 but am still waiting Oath letter :confused:

I received my Oath letter scheduled for 1/23. I suggest you go for an Infopass to find out whats going on.

Unpredictable

Guys, all my background checks were cleared way back and still the chicago DO doesn't have my file transferred from NSC. I saw some who applied in NOV get IL.

Faxed my Docs to the Senators office and the lady says official DO timeline is May'06, and they can't intervene now. She also confirmed everything is clear.

I'm going crazy here. these guys are way unpredicatble.

My Interview Experience...

Hi Guys,

First let me thank all the guys in the Forum and the Forum admins for the wonderful service. This site has been very useful and informative. I got all my questions answered here and once again thank you guys!!!

I had my Interview yesterday at 101 West Congress Parkway, Chicago, IL 60605 at 1 PM. Since it was at 1 PM, I thought we (my wife and I) would drive down from Naperville at 11:15 AM. The weather was good - bright and sunny and there was no trafic at that time and we were there by noon. We parked our car at Clark and Polk ($10 - whole day) and walked down to the office. We were asked to wait at 2 different corners of 3 rd floor for our interviews. I was called in 1:15 PM and the officer was very nice and polite. After usual stuff - he asked me 6 civic questions and they were all right. I think he did not even ask me further. Then he asked me to write "America is home for the brave". After that he said I passed my english/civic test. Then he went over my N400 application and asked if my name and address were okay and checked every section. I pointed out that there was a typo in my marriage date and he corrected it. Then he looked at my trips outside of US. I had 21 short trips and I told they were all business trips and showed him the business documents. He was satisfied with answer. Then, we went over all those 'Bunch of Nos' and yes' and finally he said Congratulations and handed me over the letter and said the oath will take place in 4 - 6 weeks and should be getting oath letter soon by mail. Also he mentioned that the Oath should be within 45 days. He took my wife A# and said that since she was being interviewed by another officer, he would talk to him and co-ordinate our oath on the same day. Over all, it was a very nice experience and it was all over in 7 minutes. I came out around 1:22 PM and in just a couple of minutes, I met wife on the other side with a broad smile on her face. It seems that she had a female officer and she was very nice and polite too. It seems that she too had same civic questions. I am not sure if they ask a set of questions on a particular day.
(They asked us 1. who will be president if both pres and vice pres die - 2. Number of supreme court judges 3. Who is MLK? 4. Who was the pres during civil rights time? 5. Whe was constitution written? 6. Who is the head exec of a state govt?)

By the way my 5 year GC anniversary date is 1/10/2007 but we had our interview y'day which is 2 days before my anniversary date. The officer said that it was fine.

Okay guys, once again thanks for all the help and good luck!!!

Our time line:

10/16/2006 - Recd date & Priority date
11/04/2006 - FP at Naperville
11/16/2006 - Interview letter sent
11/22/2006 - Recd Interveiw letter
01/08/2007 - Interview at Chicago
??????????? - Oath!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations. I'm in similar case as you with a number of short business trips. What documents did you carry for "business documents"?

Business visa

I had the work visa/business visa of that country and a letter from my US compnay that I was visiting that country on a business trip... I hope this helps...

Your interviewing officer behaved exactly the same way mine did. Do you happen to remember his name? Was it Officer Bishel? Perhaps he does all Naperville residents :)

hanimi said:
I was called in 1:15 PM and the officer was very nice and polite.

Long wait for Oath letter

ebhs said:
I received my Oath letter scheduled for 1/23. I suggest you go for an Infopass to find out whats going on.

Thanks for the suggestion, ebhs. I had done an infopass today in Chicago. I told the officer that I had my interview (approved) on 11/28 but still didn't receive the Oath letter. She looked into my file and told me that everything (FP, name check, etc.) looked cleared/done and in order. Only my Oath date remained unscheduled. She then confirmed with me that my address did not change, and advised me to wait another 30 days and if still nothing then schedule another infopass.

Does anyone here know what's going on in such a case? Please share any insight or experience of similar situations.

:(:(:(

Also waiting for my oath letter

09/29/06: Mailed the application (USPS Priority w/ delivery confirmation)
10/02/06 (3 days): Received and Priority Date
10/05/06 (6 days): Check Cleared (1 check made to USCIS)
10/10/06 (11 days): Notice Date
10/11/06 (12 days): FP Notice (received in the mail on 10/16/06)
10/21/06 (22 days): FP Appt at ASC in Uptown, Chicago
11/07/06 (39 days): Received I-797C Notice to Appear for Natz Initial Interview
12/20/06 (82 days): Interviewed at USCIS Office at 101 W Congress Pkway, Chicago (Approved)

:( :( TBD: Oath Date and Letter :( :(

My oath letter arrived exactly 4 weeks after my interview date. Give it a few more days. If 30 days pass after you interview, go for an Infopass visit. Hopefully you will get your oath letter in the next week itself!!!

For Indian Citizens

wireless1 said:
I came in 1982 and I was 18 yrs old. :eek:

Do you know what do we do with our Indian passport. Do we need to send it back to Indian cosulate. Another question on OCI? How do we apply for OCI? Is OCI a better option or just get 10 year Visa?

Thanks,

I had my FP done this morning. Two questions:

1. How do I know the FP has been cleared by FBI? (I saw postings that say FP cleared within a day.)
2. How soon can I expect the online status to change from "Case received and pending" to something else?

Thanks very much.

How To If FP is Cleared!

You can call the FBI #. You will find FBI # in this thread which I posted in my update after my fp appointment on 01/03/07.

Why FP Notice takes that long

I sent my N400 application to NSC 11/27.

11/27/06 Sent Application to NSC by Overnight Express
11/28/06 Priority Date
12/05/06 They sent me a receipt

Then nothing happens till now. I still haven't received my FP notice. Why FP notice takes that long? I called USCS today, and they told me that FP will be sent within 60 days, but from everyone else I heard from, people receive the FP within 1 month. What could happen to my case? Anyone has similar experience? Any way to expedite the process? Anyone know or can share some knowledge with me?

Finally, oath letter received in the mail today.

Updated timeline:

12/20/06 (82 days): Interviewed at USCIS Office at 101 W Congress Pkway, Chicago (Approved)
01/12/07 (105 days): Received Form N-445, Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony in the mail, dated 01/05/07.
01/25/07 (118 days): Oath Ceremony scheduled at 12:00pm

Did your case status disappear when you got your interview letter? Or did the last updated date change? Thanks.

ap74mo said:
Did your case status disappear when you got your interview letter? Or did the last updated date change? Thanks.

Ap74mo,

My case status dissappear before I was scheduled for the interview. Since then, I just never bothered checking again since I thought it's normal procedure. I kept my eyes open on my mailbox instead.

what does this mean guys

Case Status Retrieval Failed
Status for this Receipt Number cannot be found at this time in this automated system. Please check your case receipt number to see if it is correct. If you have questions or concerns about your case status, please contact Customer Service at 1-800-375-5283.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

GO BEARS!!!!!!!!

ChicagoBears said:
what does this mean guys

Case Status Retrieval Failed
Status for this Receipt Number cannot be found at this time in this automated system. Please check your case receipt number to see if it is correct. If you have questions or concerns about your case status, please contact Customer Service at 1-800-375-5283.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

GO BEARS!!!!!!!!

ChicagoBears,

It may mean that you cleared the FBI FP check and NSC transferred your file to Chicago District Office. This happened to me as well, so I wouldn't worry about it. Just watch for an Interview Notice letter in the mail.

---------------------
01/12/07 (105 days): Received Form N-445, Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony in the mail, dated 01/05/07.
01/25/07 (118 days): Oath Ceremony scheduled at 12:00pm

Received Oath Letter!

Hi,

Received Oath Letter y'day. Oath on 01/30/07 at 12:00 noon at US District Court Northern District IL, 219 S Dearborn St, Chicago.

My wife and I had the interview on the same day and the officer did ask for my wife's A# to schedule the interview on the same day, but, we haven't got the Oath letter for my wife. Hopefully, we will receive her Oath letter today.

Thanks guys for all the help and I wish you all good luck!!! This site is very informative and very useful!!!! Good work! Keep it up!

10/16/2006 - Recd date & Priority date
11/04/2006 - FP at Naperville
11/16/2006 - Interview letter sent
11/22/2006 - Recd Interveiw letter
01/08/2007 - Interview at Chicago
01/30/2007 - Oath! (letter recvd on 1/16 - dated 1/10)