Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

globeseer said:
Hi,

How do I check if the FBI cleared my finger prints and sent it back to USCIS ?

I had my FP done today.

Thanks!

Hi globeseer,

There is an FBI number in Virginia somewhere in the forum, you can call them and they will tell you whether your FP were sent back the same day.

Keep us posted.

Mo-wonder said:
filed :07.10
PD:07.10
FP:07.26
IL DATE :10.04
Oath letter :???
Oath date : ????

Is 10.4 the day you received your interview letter or the day you had your interview?

If not, then when is your interview scheduled for? I am trying to keep up with the stats for Chicago.

Thanks and good luck.

10.04 i had the interview now i'm waiting for the oath letter and wondered if anyone has the interview in october and received an oath letter notification!!!

chi-guy said:
When I called the FBI, they told me the name check was passed on to another Washington, D.C., based office and they were backed up by about 6 months. Certain applications take precedence over others so if you're stuck in that rut, that may be the reason.

Hi chi-guy,

Could you tell me the phone number to reach FBI?

I had interview Sep. 2005 and just checked the status, still got the same 'waiting for the result of background check' answer. I am not sure they even inquired the result from FBI. I am so tired of it now and think should do something. Maybe Start to check with FBI myself, then write to the senator. BTW, I am from PA. And also is there any sample letter somewhere?

Thanks a lot.

Just got started

Awake from a deep slumber of 5 years :p .

Just mailed our (me & my wife) N-400 apps today. Here it goes all over again with USICS (or INS in old days). Hope it wont be painstakingly long. cross my fingers.

Hello ... the FBI's # is 304-625-5590. But, before you call, from all the info I've gathered from the forum, you would not have even had an interview till your background check was passed, UNLESS you submitted additional evidence (original) in your interview. The FBI does the fingerprint check and another (unknown to me) office based out of Washington, D.C., does the name check. I doubt that PA falls under Senator Durbin's jurisdiction, and I don't know of any sample letters, but look into it all before you contact them.

notsure01 said:
Hi chi-guy,

Could you tell me the phone number to reach FBI?

I had interview Sep. 2005 and just checked the status, still got the same 'waiting for the result of background check' answer. I am not sure they even inquired the result from FBI. I am so tired of it now and think should do something. Maybe Start to check with FBI myself, then write to the senator. BTW, I am from PA. And also is there any sample letter somewhere?

Thanks a lot.

Me too

Hey DMAX,

We also filed citizenship documents based on 5 year for my hubby. Let's keep each other updated so that we can keep track.

Application Sent on 10/25/06

DMAX said:
Awake from a deep slumber of 5 years :p .

Just mailed our (me & my wife) N-400 apps today. Here it goes all over again with USICS (or INS in old days). Hope it wont be painstakingly long. cross my fingers.

Last edited by a moderator:
still waiting..

Meanwhile, its been two months after the interview now (august 28th), and I am still waiting for the oath date/letter. I called the 1-800 number and they pretty much gave me the 'official talk' (Its pending and I would have to wait which is usually 2-3 months anyways)..

I hope that my name check is done (and not stuck somewhere in FBI), but then why so much wait?

Its getting very frustrating..

Cheers..

turqo_cycle said:
Meanwhile, its been two months after the interview now (august 28th), and I am still waiting for the oath date/letter. I called the 1-800 number and they pretty much gave me the 'official talk' (Its pending and I would have to wait which is usually 2-3 months anyways)..

I hope that my name check is done (and not stuck somewhere in FBI), but then why so much wait?

Its getting very frustrating..

Cheers..

i don't understand it either, as of my knowledge the name check has to be done first before a person can get an interview started may 2006, some people with interviews in september already got the oath letter...may be you should schedule an infopass and find out what's going on and again the answer will be pretty much you still under 120 day period. the oath letter notification process is vey confusing.

Mo-wonder said:
i don't understand it either, as of my knowledge the name check has to be done first before a person can get an interview started may 2006, some people with interviews in september already got the oath letter...may be you should schedule an infopass and find out what's going on and again the answer will be pretty much you still under 120 day period. the oath letter notification process is vey confusing.

I was told that I could schedule the infopass meeting once it passes 60 days of the interview date, but, as you said, I will probably get the same talk.

anyone interviewed in october??

please post your timeline if anyone interviewed in october and received an oath letter notification...thanks

Chi-Guy - This is truly great news, man! I hope you enjoy the ceremonies. No one has waited more intently for them than you have! ;)

Although the ceremony is only a couple of hours, you cannot take a flight overseas that night. After you take the oath, you will be a US citizen and will need a US passport to return! :eek:

Normally getting a passport on an expedited basis takes at least two weeks, however if you can show tickets for travel within 14 days you can get a passport overnight from the Chicago Regional Passport Office (at 230 S Dearborn, near the oath place). Specific details here: http://travel.state.gov/passport/about/agencies/agencies_905.html

chi-guy said:
FINALLY! Just talked to USCIS and I'm scheduled for an oath ceremony on November 2 on 219 S Dearborn. I am soooooooooooooo relieved, finally.

For those who have done their ceremonies, how long do they normally take? I'm pretty sure I have an afternoon appointment, and I'm thinking of taking a night flight out of Chicago. Is that a good idea or should I just fly out the next day?

Anyways, thanks to all who've helped through this painstaking wait. Good luck to all of you.

Last edited by a moderator:
08-10-06: Application Sent
08-17-06: Application Received
08-17-06: Priority Date

Still waiting for Biometrics Appointment. Could anything be wrong :confused: By the way I just completed the 5 years permanent residency on 10/18/06.

Missing Evidence

I just noticed that my Receipt notice has an Execpetion for "Missign Evidence" that I will be notificed seperately about.

Is this common ?

I did send my GC copies along and I don't have any Issues other than 3 minor traffic violations.

Appreciate your comments.

globeseer said:
I just noticed that my Receipt notice has an Execpetion for "Missign Evidence" that I will be notificed seperately about.

Is this common ?

I did send my GC copies along and I don't have any Issues other than 3 minor traffic violations.

Appreciate your comments.

I suspect it's most likely because of the traffic violations. In my case I sent a DMV report along with my app. I didn't see this note on my replies. You can of course take DMV report with you for the interview.

name check..ouch..

Just talked to USCIS and they gave me the bad news (I think). I am back to FBI for namecheck! So, I called FBI and they told me they could only give me info about fingerprint (which is not the case) and if its the name check the wait would be alot! longer than 2 months, since they are backlogged!

Great! So now I have no place to contact and just wait until something happens..

Oath on 2nd Nov., No appointment Notice, please help , CHI-GUY/others.

Hi Chi-guy,

Similar to your situation, I also found out over the phone with USCIS last week that I am scheduled for an oath on 2nd Novemeber. However, I have not received my appointment letter in the mail yet. Have you received yours?

Can you (or somebody) on the forum please guide if I can enter the oath location (219 S Dearborn) without an Oath notice? What are the check-in procedures like at this building?

Thanks,
RV

chi-guy said:
FINALLY! Just talked to USCIS and I'm scheduled for an oath ceremony on November 2 on 219 S Dearborn. I am soooooooooooooo relieved, finally.

For those who have done their ceremonies, how long do they normally take? I'm pretty sure I have an afternoon appointment, and I'm thinking of taking a night flight out of Chicago. Is that a good idea or should I just fly out the next day?

Anyways, thanks to all who've helped through this painstaking wait. Good luck to all of you.

hominid said:
08-10-06: Application Sent
08-17-06: Application Received
08-17-06: Priority Date

Still waiting for Biometrics Appointment. Could anything be wrong :confused: By the way I just completed the 5 years permanent residency on 10/18/06.

Have you tried calling customer service? Still better, make an info. pass appt. I was in a similar situation. Did not get FP notice or initial receipt notice for 2 months. Only an info. pass appt. resolved the issue.

R V said:
Hi Chi-guy,

Similar to your situation, I also found out over the phone with USCIS last week that I am scheduled for an oath on 2nd Novemeber. However, I have not received my appointment letter in the mail yet. Have you received yours?

Can you (or somebody) on the forum please guide if I can enter the oath location (219 S Dearborn) without an Oath notice? What are the check-in procedures like at this building?

Thanks,
RV

Did your check your online case status change after finding out that the oath was scheduled? Did thet status change from what it was previously or it remains the same since the case is now in the hands of the local DO and not the service center anymore?