Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

N-400 Appl. Progress - USCIS Nebraska Svc Center

Adding my N-400 application's progress to USCIS Nebraska Svc Center:

Eligibility: 5 yrs since on 12/12/01
PR Classification: E37

Mailed: 09/29/06 (USPS Priority w/ Delivery Confirmation)
Received: 10/02/06
Priority Date: 10/02/06
Check Cleared: 10/05/06
Notice Date: 10/10/06
FP Notice: 10/11/06 (received in the mail on 10/16/06)
FP Appt: 10/21/06 at ASC in Uptown, Chicago

Hi Ppl.

Meanwhile I finally went downtown office to find out about my case (after a phone call to them, they asked me to..). All I could find out was my documents are all complete and would just have to wait for the oath letter. They said they were processing people from August so I should receive mine soon (I had my interview on 31st of August)..

Waiting and waiting..

Cheers..

Cheques got cleared

Finally my cheques got cleared yesterday 10/16. Waiting for the Notice and FP.

Applied 10/3/06

Received 10/4/06

Waiting for receipt & FP notice.

turqo_cycle said:
Hi Ppl.

Meanwhile I finally went downtown office to find out about my case (after a phone call to them, they asked me to..). All I could find out was my documents are all complete and would just have to wait for the oath letter. They said they were processing people from August so I should receive mine soon (I had my interview on 31st of August)..

Waiting and waiting..

Cheers..

This is becoming so ridiculously drawn out. I interviewed a week after you and I'm in the same position. What still really pisses me off is how they are still processing people from August when those that interviewed even in October have already received their oath letters and/or have taken their oaths.

In all fairness, they should finish what they're working on first before moving on to newer applicants. Even if they had to verify original documents submitted, there is no real excuse. Do they walk their dumbasses over to the original courthouse from which such documents were obtained? No. They make a phone call, if anything. So I cannot see how it takes 6 freekin weeks to get around to making a phone call and mailing out a letter.

Scheduling oath ceremonies seems to be a logistical nightmare for these incompetent bastards. They should hire anyone that works in sports scheduling to show them how a calendar works. The last time I called them they said "oh we just have to fill you in an oath date now." Hello? Put my name into the computer and let the computer assign me the next oath date. Is it really that hard?

Anyways, enough rant .... This forum, sadly, is the only thing keeping me sane through this process :eek:

Oath letter

You guys should seriously go to Senator Durbin's office and they will get you the oath letter. His office is right behind the DO.

Hmmm ... I'm interested. Do you know of anyone who's gone through the Senator? If so, how exactly would I go about it?

thanks.

Sen. Durbin

That's quite easy. You just walk into their office. Tell them you want to meet with an immigration liasion and he will take your case and call you back with an update. Just take your Interview Notice, Receipt docs.

They have direct access to their liasion at USCIS and they will pull your file.

These guys helped me with my GC process. They even gave me back the original I-140 to do consular processing.

InfoPass

I decided and made an appointment through InfoPass to see an IO at Chicago DO.

When booking an appointment, I saw couple of choices that was applicable to me, and that was (a) You have questions about your case, (b) Speak to an Immigration Officer (IO).

I selected (b) Speak to an IO. Is this the correct choice?

I'm set for the appointment on Thu. 10/19th. While I know the answer - "we are doing background check, and once we have made a decision, we will let you know" kinda response. And then they'll probably hand me a letter saying that Name Check takes 180 days, and not to bother USCIS people.

Since I know the kinda response I am going to get, do you think it is advisable to see an IO at the DO? I will be making a special trip to the loop area just for this purpose.

Let me hear your feedback.

chi-guy said:
Hmmm ... I'm interested. Do you know of anyone who's gone through the Senator? If so, how exactly would I go about it?

thanks.

I suggest contacting senator Durbin. He really helped me when my GC case was stuck for over 2 years. My problem was somewhat unusual. After my I-485 was approved and I got the passport stamped in Chicago, the plastic card production was stalled since my documents were lost somewhere between the Chicago office and the place where the cards are printed. It was a real nightmare as I could not get INS to print my card for over two years. I sent a detailed letter about my case and two days later one of the secretaries from Durbin's office called me back. After that they contacted INS and things moved very quickly. I got the card in less than two weeks after senator Durbin's office got involved.

You can either go to Durbin's Chicago office in person, or contact him in writing (I did the latter).

There is a form available on his website for sending him a letter:
http://durbin.senate.gov/contact.cfm#contact

The address of Durbin's Chicago office is:
230 S Dearborn St. Suite 3892
Chicago, IL 60604-1483
(312) 353-4952 - tel
(312) 353-0150 - fax

Interview experience at 101 W Congress Pkwy

I had a successful interview today at 101 W Congress Pkwy.

Took Blue Line CTA to LaSalle station ( used one day visitor pass - 5 bucks ). Found it very convenient. Did not carry cellphone or pager with me based on experience that cell phones were not allowed at FP facility. However, I did see people carrying cellphones. Also, saw few people accompaning their interviewing folks. Reached there hour and half before appointment time. Registered with receiptionist and got bored till around interview time. Funny thing was, interviewers were randomly coming out of offices on opposite sides of the large hall, calling out names, and as people did not know which shoulder guardian angle will rest, after a while, most of the people gathered around mid waiting area - reminding me of of bell curve distribution ( or pears on second thought ! ).

Had "three bags full" of documents with me - every damn document related with H1, GC , employment, documents mentioned in the sticky note in the board, all personal documents for me sans my rightly missing death certificate! For the traffic ticket ( minor traffic infringement - nothing serious like DUI etc. ) - which I did mention in my application - obtained disposition certificate from county court at an enormous cost of half vacation day. Interview officer did not ask for it, just asked me if I were arrested, which I answered no. When I mentioned that I have the disposition certificate, he said, "since you have taken pain to get it, let me look at it", he glanced through it, asked me again if I were arrested, ( which I answered - No ), and returned to me - did not keep copy with him. Did not look at any documents other than interview appointment letter, GC, DL and Passport.
He asked six questions, which being a genious like me, I answered it all correct. After going over application form, he asked me to read one sentence ( do not remember which one ) and to write 'Many people have died for freedom' - which were both from standard sample sentences, and that was it. He congratulated me, had me sign the form and print name on photographs, handed over N-652, wished me good day and said it was nice talking to me !

Interview officer was very friendly and courteous.
We had a small talk about yesterday's fantastic Chicago Bears win.
Had a comment about good handwriting.
During interview, I had him correct marriage date in the application form, which he corrected in the original form, while joking - if my wife knew that I forgot the marriage date.

All in all, a very pleasent experience. Wow ! Down the memory lane, contrasted that with a long wait in a long line in heavy rain, outside Bombay consulate for my first H1.

Waiting for Oath letter now, which interview officer said I should receive in 4 to 6 weeks.

This weekend, I will celebrate big ( pun intented ) by shredding all junk I gathered for last 10 years and was afraid to get rid of thinking I might need it for citizenship interview :) . Not a bad firework for Diwali.
[ Did somebody say OCI ? ]

I sincerely want to thank all forum members, ( and of course, Mr. Khanna ) for sharing their experience and answering questions - difficult and easy, silly and tricky , but all equally important - to fellows going thru this "journey" to a land of free and home of brave.

Good luck to you all.

Application Sent - 7/18/2006 [ Regular USPS ]
Received - 7/24/2006
Check Encashed - 7/28/2006.
Receipt date -7/24/2006
Fingerprint Notification -8/03/06
Finger Appointment - 08/23/06
OnLine Status changed to unavailable - 09/05/06
Interview Letter Received - 09/09/06
Interview Date - 10/17/06 [ 101 W Congress Pkwy ]

Disclaimer:
I am not an attorney ( - unfortunately ). This is my personal experience and not a legal advice.
All other - blah blah blah - Standard disclaimers apply.

Last edited by a moderator:
imminfog said:
I had a successful interview today at 101 W Congress Pkwy.

Took Blue Line CTA to LaSalle station ( used one day visitor pass - 5 bucks ). Found it very convenient. Did not carry cellphone or pager with me based on experience that cell phones were not allowed at FP facility. However, I did see people carrying cellphones. Also, saw few people accompaning their interviewing folks. Reached there hour and half before appointment time. Registered with receiptionist and got bored till around interview time. Funny thing was, interviewers were randomly coming out of offices on opposite sides of the large hall, calling out names, and as people did not know which shoulder guardian angle will rest, after a while, most of the people gathered around mid waiting area - reminding me of of bell curve distribution ( or pears on second thought ! ).

Had "three bags full" of documents with me - every damn document related with H1, GC , employment, documents mentioned in the sticky note in the board, all personal documents for me sans my rightly missing death certificate! For the traffic ticket ( minor traffic infringement - nothing serious like DUI etc. ) - which I did mention in my application - obtained disposition certificate from county court at an enormous cost of half vacation day. Interview officer did not ask for it, just asked me if I were arrested, which I answered no. When I mentioned that I have the disposition certificate, he said, "since you have taken pain to get it, let me look at it", he glanced through it, asked me again if I were arrested, ( which I answered - No ), and returned to me - did not keep copy with him. Did not look at any documents other than interview appointment letter, GC, DL and Passport.
He asked six questions, which being a genious like me, I answered it all correct. After going over application form, he asked me to read one sentence ( do not remember which one ) and to write 'Many people have died for freedom' - which were both from standard sample sentences, and that was it. He congratulated me, had me sign the form and print name on photographs, handed over N-652, wished me good day and said it was nice talking to me !

Interview officer was very friendly and courteous.
We had a small talk about yesterday's fantastic Chicago Bears win.
Had a comment about good handwriting.
During interview, I had him correct marriage date in the application form, which he corrected in the original form, while joking - if my wife knew that I forgot the marriage date.

All in all, a very pleasent experience. Wow ! Down the memory lane, contrasted that with a long wait in a long line in heavy rain, outside Bombay consulate for my first H1.

Waiting for Oath letter now, which interview officer said I should receive in 4 to 6 weeks.

This weekend, I will celebrate big ( pun intented ) by shredding all junk I gathered for last 10 years and was afraid to get rid of thinking I might need it for citizenship interview :) . Not a bad firework for Diwali.
[ Did somebody say OCI ? ]

I sincerely want to thank all forum members, ( and of course, Mr. Khanna ) for sharing their experience and answering questions - difficult and easy, silly and tricky , but all equally important - to fellows going thru this "journey" to a land of free and home of brave.

Good luck to you all.

Disclaimer:
I am not an attorney ( - unfortunately ). This is my personal experience and not a legal advice.
All other - blah blah blah - Standard disclaimers apply.

Congratulations!!

Could you please post your timeline? I would really appreciate it!!

e023:

My timeline:

Application Sent - 7/18/2006 [ Regular USPS ]
Received - 7/24/2006
Check Encashed - 7/28/2006.
Receipt date -7/24/2006
Fingerprint Notification -8/03/06
Finger Appointment - 08/23/06
OnLine Status changed to unavailable - 09/05/06
Interview Letter Received - 09/09/06
Interview Date - 10/17/06 [ 101 W Congress Pkwy ]

I called the USCIS National Customer Service Center (800 375 5283) to inquire about the status of my oath letter. They said that the letter was mailed today and the oath will be on Halloween, Oct 31 at noon. I hope they don't give us pumpkins instead of citizenship certificates! :)

Hopefully, the same applies for you, Chi-Guy, because I know you're starting to lose it! ;)

It took a one-hour wait and three-minute conversation on the phone to find this out. The telephone rep was very friendly and polite. She only required the A# number from the Permanent Resident Card to look up records.

I did my interview on Sept 6, so the time between interview and oath will be seven weeks for me compared with three weeks that most on this board to-date seem to have enjoyed. When the interview officer gave me the "recommend for approval" form letter -- after I passed the interview -- he said it would take four to six weeks and it has taken them exactly six weeks.

Just my thinking about going to Senator Durbin may have done the trick! :rolleyes:

chi-guy said:
USCIC National # 1-800-375-5283. You have to sit through a wait (approximately 25 minutes when I called) so a headset or speakerphone would be ideal. Make sure you have your application number handy and I think they may ask for your Alien number as well (can't remember).

Based on suggestions from this forum and other thoughts, delay may be due to:

1- applications being pulled for quality control (this may be a general delay)
2- during my interview, i provided original documents (this would be a delay specific to me, or anyone in a similar situation)
3- USCIC forgot to put money in their mail machine so they don't have any postage left
4- the pony express, being defunct for a century or 2, hasn't yet been called back to duty to handle the postage crisis

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Interview 10/18/06 Chi

I had a successful interview yesterday...was out in 10 minutes. Was told that oath letter will take 4-6 weeks to arrive in the mail.

My timelines posted below -

Application Sent - 7/24/2006 [ Regular USPS ]
Received - 8/01/2006
Check Encashed - 8/03/2006.
Receipt date -8/01/2006
Fingerprint Notification -8/04/06
Fingerprint Appointment - 08/17/06
Interview Letter Received - 09/11/06
Interview Date - 10/18/06

burbs1 said:
I had a successful interview yesterday...was out in 10 minutes. Was told that oath letter will take 4-6 weeks to arrive in the mail.

My timelines posted below -

Application Sent - 7/24/2006 [ Regular USPS ]
Received - 8/01/2006
Check Encashed - 8/03/2006.
Receipt date -8/01/2006
Fingerprint Notification -8/04/06
Fingerprint Appointment - 08/17/06
Interview Letter Received - 09/11/06
Interview Date - 10/18/06

Congrats on a successful interview and thanks for posting your timeline. Things seem to be going quickly in the Chicago DO these days.

I am still waiting for my case status to disappear.

RakishS said:
I called the USCIS National Customer Service Center (800 375 5283) to inquire about the status of my oath letter. They said that the letter was mailed today and the oath will be on Halloween, Oct 31 at noon. I hope they don't give us pumpkins instead of citizenship certificates! :)

Hi there,

May I ask which option you chose to be able to talk to somebody? When I call, and enter my A#, I am told (message) to call the Chicago Office, and they dont tell much from there..

Cheers..

globeseer said:
Did you complete 5 years on GC ? It looks like it's been 1 month since you got FP done.

Not sure whether the question was referring to me but yes I have been a PR since 1997.