Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

eo23 said:
I will keep my checking of course but there is certainly no trend. tderev1 and inseattle06 have had their case numbers disappear as well and they have a later PD than you. I fingerprinted on the same date as tderev1 but have not yet heard anything. I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Waiting and keeping fingers crossed is pretty much all you can do. There is no rhyme, reason, or pattern to this.

Hi guys,

Anything new from anyone?

I am still waiting for my case to disappear.

------------------------------------------

Any Chicago newcomers should post their timelines so we can have a better estimate of how things are moving.

my timeline

Hello forum

My details --

Service Center - NSC
DO - Chicago
Mailed 09/07/2006
PD: 09/11/2006
Finger prints on 09/29/2006
Online case status disappears on 10/08/2006

waiting..

Hi everybody,

I guess I am one of the longer waiting ones.
I did my succesful interview on 8/31/2006 the officer requested 2 extra documents (original copy of our marriage certificate and some tax papers which we sent the same day by US priority mail) and have been waiting since..
You guys have any idea why its taking so long (been 6 weeks so far?) for the oath document/date?

Cheers..

oats said:
Hello forum

My details --

Service Center - NSC
DO - Chicago
Mailed 09/07/2006
PD: 09/11/2006
Finger prints on 09/29/2006
Online case status disappears on 10/08/2006

Hi oats,

Have you received your interview letter yet? That is quite a speedy timeline, I am still waiting on my case status to disappear.

What format was your case number? Was it 9497xx?

Thanks so much!

So I spoke with an immigration officer again today by calling the 1-800 number. I had a successful interview on Sept. 6 and have been waiting since for my oath letter. Earlier this week I had scheduled an infopass appointment for the 24th of this month and I called the national number to see what info would be disclosed at the appointment. The officer told me that "some action" was made on my application just this morning, and it was moving on to the next step of scheduling an oath ceremony. She said I should be receiving my oath letter now very soon. Apparently, there had been some problem with my application which she couldn't disclose to me.

Whatever the problem or the holdup has been all along is now finally resolved and I'm hoping to receive my oath letter next week. I don't know if anyone else will also be effected by this but I know RakishS had also interviewed on that day. However, when I asked her if I may have my oath ceremony this month, she said that may not be likely, but she couldn't be too specific with many of her answers.

oats said:
hi eo23,

my number started with 951

hi oats,

Thank you!

There doesn't seem to be any pattern however the majority of people on this forum have received their interview letters anywhere between 9-12 weeks after the PD and the actual interview has been 15-18 weeks after the PD.

The Chicago DO seems to be moving fast, as there a few other people who have had their online status disappear. I am still waiting but I am going with the timeline above (this has been the case since March of this year).

Keep me posted and let me know once you receive your actual interview letter.

My timeline

Here is my timeline -

Application was sent via regular mail a few days before June 21st.

Priority Date - 6/21

Finger Printing date - 7/20
- was at the Lawrence Cumberland (chicago) office. Time of appt was at 1:00 PM. I arrived there at 12:40. They saw me at 12:45 and I was out at 12:55.

Interview Date - 9/26
- time of interview was at 9:45AM. I arrived there at 9:40AM. They saw me at 10:00 AM, and I was out at 10:15AM. I was asked 10 questions - and she wrote all of them down scored me at the end. She asked me to write "America is land of the free" on a paper. She went through each page of my aopplication and verified some of the questions in there - specifically if I have been out of the country since the application. I was out for a week. She wrote the dates down on the application. I was told oath will be in 4-6 weeks, but they will not entertain calls till 90 days.

Oath date scheduled - 10/19

Got the interview letter

Received the interview letter today. Scheduled for 22nd Nov (wed) downtown Chicago.

General Chicago DO Statistics

Hi all,

According to peoples' experiences on this forum, I complied some basic statistics (obviously the larger the sample, the more accurate the result).

NOTE: All numbers are in weeks

Time Between Priority Date and Interview Letter Receipt

Sample: 5,7,9,9,9,10,10,10,11,12

Average: 9.2 weeks

Median: 9.5 weeks

Min: 5 weeks

Max: 12 weeks

Time Between Priority Date and Actual Interview Date

Sample: 11,11,11,13,14,15,15,16,16,16,16,16,17,17,17,17,18

Average: 15.1 weeks

Median: 16 weeks

Min: 11 weeks

Max: 18 weeks

Other Info

1) Approximate time between receipt of interview notification and actual interview is approximately 6 weeks.

2) Oath date has ranged greatly on this forum and statistics will seem unreliable or inaccurate.

3) The information above assumes NO NAME CHECK ISSUES and security clearances barriers.

Any other additions from anyone would be great!! The more information provided the better i.e. when case status disappears etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
chi-guy said:
So I spoke with an immigration officer again today by calling the 1-800 number. I had a successful interview on Sept. 6 and have been waiting since for my oath letter. Earlier this week I had scheduled an infopass appointment for the 24th of this month and I called the national number to see what info would be disclosed at the appointment. The officer told me that "some action" was made on my application just this morning, and it was moving on to the next step of scheduling an oath ceremony. She said I should be receiving my oath letter now very soon. Apparently, there had been some problem with my application which she couldn't disclose to me.

Hi Chi-guy,

I wonder what this problem could be which seems to be affecting me (assuming that its general) as well. Its been 6 weeks after my interview now and still no oath letter. Which number did you call to get this info?

Thanks..

USCIC National # 1-800-375-5283. You have to sit through a wait (approximately 25 minutes when I called) so a headset or speakerphone would be ideal. Make sure you have your application number handy and I think they may ask for your Alien number as well (can't remember).

Based on suggestions from this forum and other thoughts, delay may be due to:

1- applications being pulled for quality control (this may be a general delay)
2- during my interview, i provided original documents (this would be a delay specific to me, or anyone in a similar situation)
3- USCIC forgot to put money in their mail machine so they don't have any postage left
4- the pony express, being defunct for a century or 2, hasn't yet been called back to duty to handle the postage crisis

:)

oats said:
Received the interview letter today. Scheduled for 22nd Nov (wed) downtown Chicago.

I received my interview letter on Friday as well. It's scheduled for Nov 21st (Tues) in downtown Chicago. (101 W Congress) .

My case number disappeared last Sunday (so it took a week or so for the letter to come through).

scarlethawk said:
I received my interview letter on Friday as well. It's scheduled for Nov 21st (Tues) in downtown Chicago. (101 W Congress) .

My case number disappeared last Sunday (so it took a week or so for the letter to come through).

Congrats! I am still waiting patiently for my case status to disappear, will let you know once anything changes. Actually if you see, you received the letter 11 weeks from your PD and your interview is scheduled to be 17 weeks from PD, goes very well with the statistics above. I am going with these time-frames at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Checks not cashed even after

Hi guys,

I mailed my N400 to NSC by USPS Expressmail on 10/3/06. Delivered on 10/4. So far my cheques haven't been cashed yet. I sent 2 checks for $70 and $330 in favour of USCIS. Applied 60 days prior to completing 5 years.

I see most folks got their cheques cashed in 7 days.

now I'm concerned. I've NOT received Receipt notice as well.

Thanks for any comments.

globeseer said:
Hi guys,

I mailed my N400 to NSC by USPS Expressmail on 10/3/06. Delivered on 10/4. So far my cheques haven't been cashed yet. I sent 2 checks for $70 and $330 in favour of USCIS. Applied 60 days prior to completing 5 years.

Thanks for any comments.

Call up your bank and see whether your checks have cleared. Normally you should give about a MAXIMUM of one month to receive the notice letter.

Some people on other threads have mentioned that they were also delayed because USCIS was verifying a few things about their application (they would not disclose to them such information).

Wait a bit, but if you like you could call the 1800 number but be ready to wait for 25 mins - 60 mins.

globeseer said:
Hi guys,

Thanks for any comments.

I got my receipt notice three weeks after sending the application. The checks however were cashed within a week. Do you have delivery confirmation from USPS?

Thanks for the Responses.

I did check the USPS tracking. It says delivered at 10:40 am the next day.

I see here that some folks have completed their oath in 5 months.