Chicago IL - N-400 Timeline

tderev1 said:
thanks scarlethawk....will share interview experience tomorrow after 3 pm chicago time

Good luck..you may want to explain where is your passport!!! as they do need to look at it ..

Is this usual ?

Guys,

I've done my FP. But my case status never gets updated. Is this usual ?

Also, my receipt says my case was received on 10/2/2006. But the online message has the following.

Current Status:

Your N400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION was received on October 11, 2006. We will mail you a decision as soon as processing is complete. You can use our processing dates to estimate when this case will be done. Follow the the link below for current processing dates.

Thanks

globeseer said:
Guys,

Also, my receipt says my case was received on 10/2/2006. But the online message has the following.

Current Status:

Your N400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION was received on October 11, 2006. We will mail you a decision as soon as processing is complete. You can use our processing dates to estimate when this case will be done. Follow the the link below for current processing dates.

Thanks

Based on my experience, my appl. status also didn't change after FP. It then dissappear after I received an Interview notice. So I think you're fine; just be patient and just wait for that letter for now.

globeseer said:
Guys,

Current Status:

Thanks

this sounds like the name check is not yet completed as you may know they stoped holding interviews untill all clearance is completed since may 2006. the USCIS is moving fast and just wait you should hear something soon.

globeseer:

Just relax. Your FP is taken less than one month ago and there is nothing to worry about at this point. If your are lucky, your name check should be completed by FBI within 4 to 6 months or less. If your status is still not changed more than 6 months from now, you should take an infopass to USCIS to talk to an immigration officer. Since this May, USCIS stop interviewing people if the background check is not completed due to the huge wave of 1447 lawsuits against them. Hope it helps,

Jack

globeseer said:
Guys,

Current Status:

Thanks

They (USCIS) are actually unhappy when you begin to trouble them soon after you have completed a step in the process. It does not make sense to begin to bother them 1 month or even 2 months after submitting your application.

It is best to allow time and go by the processing time listed on their web site. If you are outside the processing time, they will be obligated to look into your complaint, but if you must bother them before that time passes, you should have a very good reason.

For example, I called them about two weeks ago to find out whether my oath would be next week and I told them that I am asking because I do not want to miss the oath (given that I am travelling); they cordially assisted me by looking and then asked me to call back the next week (which was last week); they said that I was on waiting list for oath, but not scheduled yet. I did not need to call because I got the letter just 4 days or so after I spoke to them.

Dist Off: Sacramento
6/19/06: N-400 Mailed
6/22/06: Priority Date
6/22/06: Notice Date
7/14/06: FP Notice Date
7/24/06: FP Date
9/03/06: Interview Notice Date :) :)
10/16/06: Interview Date :) :) :)
11/21/06: Oath Date :D :D :D :D

Cajack, is your oath also in Sacramento? I notice that you have the same oath date as me. Regards

Thanks. My oath is at 9.
Good luck to you.

Mo-wonder said:
Hi

1) Yes family members is allowed.
2) I know digital camera's were accepted but not sure of camcorders.

God luck...

Chicago timeline... name check cleared but still waiting for 2 months

I am in Chicago
My proirity Date : 2/10/2006
Interview Date : 6/8/2006 passed, but name check pending
1st infopass on 10/4: found out name check cleared on 9/14/2006
2nd infopass on 10/27: found out name check pending, was told there are 2 entries in USCIS system. One entry said name check cleared on 9/14/2006. Another entry said name check was still pending.. SO name check still pending. I was totally disappointed and frustrated.
3rd info pass on 11/4: found out USCIS sent 2 requests for my name check to FBI. I was told that as long as one comes back with cleared background/name check, it can conclude name check is cleared. SO I was little happy name check was cleared on 9/14.
But it has been 2 months since FBI name check was cleared. NO oath letter yet? Why? I was told at infopass my file was moved from name-pending category to to-be-processed category. But still waiting. it has been 2 months. any similar case ?

Hi all,

My case status has not yet disappeared. This is my 11th week since PD.

I will probably schedule an infopass for after Thanksgiving since that would be 13 weeks since my PD.

What do you guys suggest?

I have a few international trips planned ahead and would like to gain any information I can about my case from the IO.

Any insight would be much appreciated, thanks all!

Interview experience

My wife and I had our interviews today. Both of our interviews were at the same time at 101 W Congress Park Way. We arrived an hour early and spent close to half an hour at the Statbucks nearby because the interview letters said not to arrive more than 30 mins in advance. In retrospect, it probably wouldn't have been a problem to show up an hour early because the place was practically empty. We showed the lady at the counter our letters and she told us to sit down at the far end of the hall. There were around a dozen people there. People were there in standard street clothing and it didn't look like they were carrying any documents aside from their interview letters. I had a thin file with me that included my taxes for the past year along with the records for a speeding ticket. I was called within half an hour. The officer was very cordial and all of them were nicely dressed and extremely polite. I swore in and then sat down. He gave me the list of citizenship questions and then read them out one by one while I answered them. After that, he went through my app while also explaining some of the benefits of citizenship. I had a shoplifting arrest 18 years ago that was dismissed. I told him about that when we got to that section. He mentioned that one arrest is fine. He didn't ask for any documentation. He looked at my date of birth on the application and confirmed that I didn't need to register with selective service. I had a letter from selective service but he didn't want to see it. At the end, he told me that he would recommend me for citizenship and that I should get the oath letter within 5 - 7 weeks. Because my wife was also interviewing, he mentioned that he would try to get us the same oath date. When I walked out, my wife was already back from her interview eventhough she started after me. I guess my interview officer and I chated about all sorts of random stuff. She was told that her oath letter should show up in 60 - 90 days. Let's hope my guy was right! In the end, I am glad I didn't stress out collecting lots and lots of documents because I didn't need anything. This was definitely the most pleasant experience I have ever had at a government office. Those folks were amazing. Did I mention that the female officers are gorgeous!!

Hope this helps someone.

HOW LONG SHOULD I wait between backgroundclearance and receiving oathletter inChicago

tomshen99a said:
I am in Chicago
My proirity Date : 2/10/2006
Interview Date : 6/8/2006 passed, but name check pending
1st infopass on 10/4: found out name check cleared on 9/14/2006
2nd infopass on 10/27: found out name check pending, was told there are 2 entries in USCIS system. One entry said name check cleared on 9/14/2006. Another entry said name check was still pending.. SO name check still pending. I was totally disappointed and frustrated.
3rd info pass on 11/4: found out USCIS sent 2 requests for my name check to FBI. I was told that as long as one comes back with cleared background/name check, it can conclude name check is cleared. SO I was little happy name check was cleared on 9/14.
But it has been 2 months since FBI name check was cleared. NO oath letter yet? Why? I was told at infopass my file was moved from name-pending category to to-be-processed category. But still waiting. it has been 2 months. any similar case ?

HOW LONG SHOULD I wait between background clearance and receiving oathletter in Chicago ?
My background check was completed on 9/14/2006, but still waiting for oath letter ! Any idea ?

tomshen99a said:
HOW LONG SHOULD I wait between background clearance and receiving oathletter in Chicago ?
My background check was completed on 9/14/2006, but still waiting for oath letter ! Any idea ?

Can you post your time line?

My time line

scarlethawk said:
Can you post your time line?

N-400, NSC/Chicago
02/10/06 Priority Date

06/08/06 Interview Date
name checking pending
09/14/2006 name check cleared, completed
Still no oath letter

eo23

don't go through infopass stuff man. Sine you're applying for citizenship, go to a Senator's office or email them. They will get the proper response for you.

Afterall, you'll be standing in line to vote for them. Let them do the job for you now.

I've not received my IL yet. Most seem to get it in 2 weeks.

Oath Ceremony Updates

For self and spouse...

Self - Nov 14, 1PM
Spouse - Nov 15, 1PM

At 219 S Dearborn, Chicago, IL

Took Metra from suburbs and reached the courtroom building around 1245PM. After the N-445 and green card was checked given the oath of allegiance packet and seated waiting for the judge to arrive.

My ceremony was over in 10 minutes and I was out of the building at 115PM but my spouse's ceremony went longer ending at 130PM.

Please look at my earlier posts for entire timelines...updated social security records (2 hours wait time) and applied for passport the same day - self.

Best of luck to everyone on this forum and thank you for sharing your experiences.

globeseer said:
don't go through infopass stuff man. Sine you're applying for citizenship, go to a Senator's office or email them. They will get the proper response for you.

Afterall, you'll be standing in line to vote for them. Let them do the job for you now.

I've not received my IL yet. Most seem to get it in 2 weeks.

That might be an even better way, where the senator's office? Also, could I just walk right in and ask them to ask for me right there and then?

Let me know man, thanks.

Oath Ceremony Completed

I had my oath ceremony today at 9 AM.
Reached Dirsksen Bldg at 8:30 ( reporting time was 8 AM). Took Blue Line to Jackson. It stops right at Dirksen Bldg.
When I reached 25th floor, still about 40 people waiting in line to be checked in. Was handed over a packet containing oath and some other details.
All applicants were seated on the bench. Visitors were seated on jury bench. Kids were seated along with applicants.
Judge came in at sharp 9. Everyone took oath. Judge gave a small lecture and left at 9:10. Officials collected GC and handed over naturalization certificate. Was done by 9:30.

Took passport pictures and made copies of naturalization certificate at a copy shop behind the post office.
Went to Passport Agency Bldg for passport application. They did not accept application as they need proof of travel within next two weeks. Went to post office, next to it and across from Dirksen Bldg, which was also closed for some reason.

Returned home and applied for expedited passport at local town hall.
Inquired and found that I had to wait till I get my passport and naturalization certificate back before I can apply for my 10 year old daughter's passport.

Good Luck to you all.

Last edited by a moderator:
eo23

Yes, you can walk in and say you need to speak with an "Immigration Liasion" about your pending naturalization app.

When you speak with the liasion, make sure you tell him you see people who applied after you received their IL and that you're getting worried.

He will place a call and get back to you in a day or 2 with the right repsonse.

Don't waste time with Infopass.

globeseer said:
Yes, you can walk in and say you need to speak with an "Immigration Liasion" about your pending naturalization app.

When you speak with the liasion, make sure you tell him you see people who applied after you received their IL and that you're getting worried.

He will place a call and get back to you in a day or 2 with the right repsonse.

Don't waste time with Infopass.

Hi globeseer,

Thank you so much for your advice. I will do exactly that. I will look up the senator's office right now.

Does it matter which senator I should go through? Durbin or Obama?

Thank you again very much for your help.

Last edited by a moderator: