Checklist for OCI application - Houston

When you got your oci did they issuing officer sign on the oCI book and on the oCI visa in the US passport?

Yes. All our U-Visa stickers and OCI booklets have original signatures of Deputy Consul General (SFO) in ink.

Last edited by a moderator:
OCI for Non-US Citizen in the U.S. on Work Permit

Dear All:

Jai Hind.

Can a non-U.S. citizen once citizen of India can apply for OCI from the U.S.? I am currently on work visa.

Thanks,

Kumar

Dear All:

Jai Hind.

Can a non-U.S. citizen once citizen of India can apply for OCI from the U.S.? I am currently on work visa.

Thanks,

Kumar

My wife is a Canadian passport holder with a US green card and she got her OCI from SFO consulate. If your work permit shows that you are in US for an extended period of time, I see no reason why you can't apply for OCI during your stay here.

OCI for Non-US Citizen in the U.S. on Work Permit

Thanks a lot for your reply. I'm on TN visa.

Regards,

Kumar

Friends,

I sent my OCI pkg over weekend thru Express mail for today's receival to Houston. In how many days generally, I Am able to see updated status on website? thanx..

Friends,

I sent my OCI pkg over weekend thru Express mail for today's receival to Houston. In how many days generally, I Am able to see updated status on website? thanx..

Houston seems to be the slowest in OCI processing. The most recently posted time-line shows:

11/12/2008 - OCI app-India/Houston (Delivery Date)
12/16/2008 - Acknowledged

and a few others show up to 2 months for acknowledgment. My advice would be keep checking every few days after about 3 weeks from today.

Friends,

I applied for OCI for me and my sons on Jan 2, 2009. These got processed and granted on Feb 4, 2009. My OCI papers got printed and reached Houston on Feb 12, 2009. The problem is my kids OCI still says granted but not printed and ofcourse not despatched. All our OCIs were granted on the same day. Please advice. i cannot reach anybody in Houston obviously.

Hi:

I have just completed putting my application papers together for OCI application - I am a Canadian national and live/work in Florida. Therefore basis my current location, I am mailing my papers to Houston.

I am wondering how long it would take for my OCI to be approved and have the U-sticker + have my canadian passport endorsed. Am planning a trip to India in the first week of June - is it realistic to assume that the OCI processing would be complete before then?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Subm

OCI for Canadian in the U.S.

Hi:

I have just completed putting my application papers together for OCI application - I am a Canadian national and live/work in Florida. Therefore basis my current location, I am mailing my papers to Houston.

I am wondering how long it would take for my OCI to be approved and have the U-sticker + have my canadian passport endorsed. Am planning a trip to India in the first week of June - is it realistic to assume that the OCI processing would be complete before then?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Subm

Hi Subm:

Can you pls advise if we need to attach the copy of our status in the U.S. with the application?

What about Canadian Landing papers etc. as the requirement for Indian embassy in Toronto?

Thanks,

Kumar

Interesting.

Include the Canadian citizenship documents/passport copies instead of the US ones. I suppose that should work.

Question regarding cancelled Indian passports

I sent in my OCI application to Houston in 02-'09. OCI was granted and the documents received at Houston on Apr 21st. I waited for the email to arrive. When it didn't, I sent in my US and Indian passports yesterday.
As luck would have it, I received an email today and besides the usual 'granted' information, the email ends with

"Please do enclose Indian Passports though cancelled".

I had a current Indian PP which I sent, but not the older/cancelled Indian PP.

Should I send this in now or wait to see what happens? I have an upcoming trip to Indian on Jun 7th and am afraid they will hold up the documents until they receive the 'cancelled PPs'. I have sent them an email, but I know that I may not be a response.

Does anyone have experience with this? My gut tells me to send in the cancelled PPs right away. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

I sent in my OCI application to Houston in 02-'09. OCI was granted and the documents received at Houston on Apr 21st. I waited for the email to arrive. When it didn't, I sent in my US and Indian passports yesterday.
As luck would have it, I received an email today and besides the usual 'granted' information, the email ends with

"Please do enclose Indian Passports though cancelled".

I had a current Indian PP which I sent, but not the older/cancelled Indian PP.

Should I send this in now or wait to see what happens? I have an upcoming trip to Indian on Jun 7th and am afraid they will hold up the documents until they receive the 'cancelled PPs'. I have sent them an email, but I know that I may not be a response.

Does anyone have experience with this? My gut tells me to send in the cancelled PPs right away. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

Looks like the email from the consulate was sent before they received your US and Indian passports. If you have sent your latest Indian passport, you are fine, there is no need to send old expired/canceled passports.

Thank you Immigration Forum Site

Following were my time lines:

0. Made sure that the Part A and B were filled correctly and that nothing was missed. Pictures were taken in a studio and all pictures were of specified 'off-white' background and sized 3.5 cm by 3.5 cm. Also included copies of I-1000 Canadian Landing Papers for self and family.
1. Mailed Part A and B, original Indian Passports and cover note from Florida to Houston by US Post on 14 March 2009
2. Date Of Acknowledgment 02-APR-2009
3. Registration Status Granted On 04-MAY-2009
4. Photo/Signature Scanned On 16-APR-2009
5. Documents Printing Status PRINTED
6. Documents Printed On 05-MAY-2009
7. Documents Despatched From Delhi On 06-MAY-2009
8. Documents Received at HOUSTON On 11-MAY-2009
9. I mailed my passports on 12th May by FEDEX Next Day Service
Saw online that it was signed and recd at Consulate on 13th May
Called the Consulate on 19th May and gave my name - the lady took my contact number and called me back in 45 mins to confirm that they had FEDEXed my documents on 19th afternoon.
10. Received cancelled Indian Passports, U-Stickered Canadian Pasports and the all important OCI Booklets (looks like a lean, light colored version of the Indian Passport)

At all times during this above period, I used the postings on this site as reference for timelines. By and large, the consulate more or less followed the general average.

Also, a note about communications with the Indian Consulate at Houston. They do not respond to Emails. You can speak to them on either 713-626-2148 or 713-626-2149 strictly between 2 and 4 PM Eastern Time - the wait time on the phone is about 10 mins but someone does respond. They speak to the point and keep their word!

I am impressed with the efficiency of the system - a far cry from the snail paced, red taped bureaucracy that we grew up in back home! Kudos to RISING INDIA!!

Cheers and Good Luck to future applicants.
Subm

PS: Mr Kumar, hope this answers your question.

Oci

Thanks Subm. It does answer the question. And cogratulations on getting OCI.

Can anyone advise how can we come to know if they need any document? BTW, I have included everything that was mentioned on Houston's site.

Thanks,

Kumar

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but the Houston consulate WILL NOT take OCI applications in person :confused:. You HAVE to apply by mail. Hopefully, this warning should help someone avoid an unnecessary trip.

Houston, there is no problem!

I live in Houston and so I could submit my application in person this morning. For those who want to submit the application in person in Houston

1) Parking is very cheap : First 1/2 hour free and after that $1 for an hour
2) There is a shop in front of consulate building that offers photo copies, cashiers checks and all kinds of stationery.
3) Photos from CVS with white background is accepted . No need to get 35 mm x 35 mm with light background.

Good luck!