Checklist for OCI application - Houston

ravi1985

Registered Users (C)
Dear OCI Gurus: Please review and confirm the following checklist for OCI application - Houston -

** 2 sets for each applicant

1. Completed Part A (complete over internet, and print along with Part B + instructions - so you will get tracking number), with photos pasted.
2. Completed Part B with signatures of all applicants (see 5 below)
3. Copy of US passport - first 2 and last 2 pages - self-attested
4. Copy of Indian passport - first 3 and last 2 pages - self attested
----------
5. Photographs - totally 5 out of which 2 stuck on the 2 copies of Part A, and 3 in a small envelope
6. Cover letter
7. Fees - $275 per applicant in money order or cashier's check made payable to Consulate General of India, Houston
8. Mailing fees - $20 for the family group - in money order or cashier's check
------------
9. Mail 1-4 in 2 sets (both sets containing original signatures in Part B), + items 5, 6, 7 and 8 above to Consulate General of India, 1990 Post Oak Blvd. # 600 Three Post Oak Central, Houston, TX-77056.
------------
10. When status updates in the system, or when email arrives from Houston about approval/doc. received at Houston, send original US passport and original Indian passport & PIO card (if applicable) to the Houston embassy alongwith a print out of the status page (indicating the date of arrival of OCI document in the Consulate) or copy of acknowledgement.
------------
11.They will use the mailing fees in 8 above to send the US passport/s with U visa stamped, cancelled Indian passport/s and the new OCI card/s by FEDEX.

Notes:
a. Your usual signature will do; do not need the cursive full name written as in naturalization certificate
b. You can combine all the fees for the entire family group and send just one cashier's check. For example, for a family of 2, you can send one cashier's check for $570 ($275+$275+$20)
c. US-style passport pictures are accepted at Houston
d. To self-attest, just write "Certified to be true copy of the original", sign & print your name.

Is this checklist correct? Please review and advise. Thanks.

To check the status of your application, go to https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp, and enter the File Number obtained at the time of online registration of the application.

The status report will show dates of "Registration Status", "Documents Printing Status", "Documents Printed On", "Documents Dispatched to concerned Mission/Office on" and "Documents Received at".

When the online status indicates that documents have been received at CGI, Houston, the applicant should send
- the original passport of citizenship (US passport),
- the last valid/expired Indian Passport,
- PIO Card (if any) held by the applicant,
- a copy/printout of the OCI status screen (that indicates the file #, registration #, name, and status information)
to Consulate General of India, 1990 Post Oak Blvd. # 600 Three Post Oak Central, Houston, TX-77056.

In a week of so, the applicant will receive back from the Houston embassy,
- the US passport with the OCI 'U' visa stamped
- the cancelled Indian passport
- the OCI Card/Book (which looks like a passport).

For travel to India, you have to take the US passport with the valid U visa AND the OCI Book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything looks in order.

It is taking many many months now to get OCI. If you have travel plans in near future, I suggest check possibility of visa as well.

ravi1985,

Other than "address and consulate" references to Houston, is the above checklist applicable for other Consulates like San Francisco as well?

Dear OCI Gurus: Please review and confirm the following checklist for OCI application - Houston -

1. Completed Part A (complete over internet, and print along with Part B + instructions - so you will get tracking number), with photos pasted.
----------
5. Photographs - totally 5 out of which 2 stuck on the 2 copies of Part A, and 3 in a small envelope
6. Cover letter
7. Fees - $275 per applicant in money order or cashier's check made payable to Consulate General of India, Houston
------------
9. Mail 1-4 in 2 sets (both sets containing original signatures in Part B), + items 5, 6, 7 and 8 above to Consulate General of India, 1990 Post Oak Blvd. # 600 Three Post Oak Central, Houston, TX-77056.
------------
10. When status updates in the system, or when email arrives from Houston about approval/doc. received at Houston, send original US passport and original Indian passport & PIO card (if applicable) to the Houston embassy alongwith a print out of the status page (indicating the date of arrival of OCI document in the Consulate) or copy of acknowledgement.
------------
11.They will use the mailing fees in 8 above to send the US passport/s with U visa stamped, cancelled Indian passport/s and the new OCI card/s by FEDEX.

Notes:
a. Your usual signature will do; do not need the cursive full name written as in naturalization certificate
b. You can combine all the fees for the entire family group and send just one cashier's check. For example, for a family of 2, you can send one cashier's check for $570 ($275+$275+$20)
d. To self-attest, just write "Certified to be true copy of the original", sign & print your name.

What is cover letter for? What does cover letter look like? I am thinking of applying for OCI.

What is cover letter for? What does cover letter look like? I am thinking of applying for OCI.

No idea :) We completed our OCI processing thru SFO and didn't send any cover letter with the applications. You may want to check Houston website if they ask for it, and if so, what they want you to say.

----------
6. Cover letter
------------
------------
------------

Notes:

To check the status of your application, go to https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp, and enter the File Number obtained at the time of online registration of the application.

The status report will show dates of "Registration Status", "Documents Printing Status", "Documents Printed On", "Documents Dispatched to concerned Mission/Office on" and "Documents Received at".

When the online status indicates that documents have been received at CGI, Houston, the applicant should send
- the original passport of citizenship (US passport),
- the last valid/expired Indian Passport,
- PIO Card (if any) held by the applicant,
- a copy/printout of the OCI status screen (that indicates the file #, registration #, name, and status information)
to Consulate General of India, 1990 Post Oak Blvd. # 600 Three Post Oak Central, Houston, TX-77056.

In a week of so, the applicant will receive back from the Houston embassy,
- the US passport with the OCI 'U' visa stamped
- the cancelled Indian passport
- the OCI Card/Book (which looks like a passport).

For travel to India, you have to take the US passport with the valid U visa AND the OCI Book.

Thank you so much for providing the detailed check list....I will be soon applying for OCI to Houston center.

I just want to know that which mode payment for fees is most advisable:
Money Order OR Cashier Checks

Thanks,
INS Center: VSC
N-400 mailing date: 12/01/2007
PD: 12/03/2007
ND: 01/05/2008
FP: 1/20/2008
Interview Letter recd: 5/10/2008
Interview scheduled: 06/20/2008 10:45 AM
Oath Same Day: 06/20/2008
Status: Case Closed and Completed and became official US citizen.

Applied for US passport and US passport card: 07/01/2008(Sent by Regular Mail)
Received US passport with N Certificate: 07/18/2008
Received US passport card: Still In Process
----------------------------------------------------------

Thank you so much for providing the detailed check list....I will be soon applying for OCI to Houston center.

I just want to know that which mode payment for fees is most advisable:
Money Order OR Cashier Checks

Thanks,
INS Center: VSC
N-400 mailing date: 12/01/2007
PD: 12/03/2007
ND: 01/05/2008
FP: 1/20/2008
Interview Letter recd: 5/10/2008
Interview scheduled: 06/20/2008 10:45 AM
Oath Same Day: 06/20/2008
Status: Case Closed and Completed and became official US citizen.

Applied for US passport and US passport card: 07/01/2008(Sent by Regular Mail)
Received US passport with N Certificate: 07/18/2008
Received US passport card: Still In Process
----------------------------------------------------------

No difference. Use the one you find cheaper and/or more convenient to get.

No difference. Use the one you find cheaper and/or more convenient to get.

Akgarg, Pl advise-
I am GOING TO apply for OCI for myself and my son in CGI-Houston office. I have completed the Online Registration Form yesterday at http://mha.nic.in and printed out the forms A and B.
Print out contains:
(1) Two Copies of A
-One for myself (A-Father) and
-One for my son (A-Son)
(2) One Copy of B (common)

I just want to make sure that I have to make the two sets separately for each applicant like this
-Set1 -> A-Father + Photo Copy of B
-Set2 -> A-Son + Photo Copy of B

Your help will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Atloci2008

Akgarg, Pl advise-
I am GOING TO apply for OCI for myself and my son in CGI-Houston office. I have completed the Online Registration Form yesterday at http://mha.nic.in and printed out the forms A and B.
Print out contains:
(1) Two Copies of A
-One for myself (A-Father) and
-One for my son (A-Son)
(2) One Copy of B (common)

I just want to make sure that I have to make the two sets separately for each applicant like this
-Set1 -> A-Father + Photo Copy of B
-Set2 -> A-Son + Photo Copy of B

Your help will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Atloci2008

Not quite. Set 1 should contain: Part A for you + Part A for your son + Part B (common) for both of you + copies of your and your son's passports/birth certificate, etc. Now make a duplicate of entire set 1 and that would comprise set 2. In effect, each should contain all the docs and both sets should be identical.

Not quite. Set 1 should contain: Part A for you + Part A for your son + Part B (common) for both of you + copies of your and your son's passports/birth certificate, etc. Now make a duplicate of entire set 1 and that would comprise set 2. In effect, each should contain all the docs and both sets should be identical.

Thank you ...
I have noted it down the foll from some postiings...What do you think about this info....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------Organize:
Always remember, 2 sets of application forms, signed/thumbprinted in original.
2 sets of documents - one for each application form.

For the documents to enclose, treat as if every family member was applying separately. This suggestion is for enclosures only, the application forms still remain only 2 sets.

Since each family member gets their own registration number when you register online, so verification of documents in Delhi for each family member could potentially be done by different people.

Therefore separate out the docs into separate sets, one "COMPLETE SET of enclosures" for each family member.

e.g., for your kids, put another photocopy of your foreign and Indian passport in his/her set of enclosures also, since their requirements need proof of parents being eligible for OCI.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you ...
I have noted it down the foll from some postiings...What do you think about this info....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------Organize:
Always remember, 2 sets of application forms, signed/thumbprinted in original.
2 sets of documents - one for each application form.

For the documents to enclose, treat as if every family member was applying separately. This suggestion is for enclosures only, the application forms still remain only 2 sets.

Since each family member gets their own registration number when you register online, so verification of documents in Delhi for each family member could potentially be done by different people.

Therefore separate out the docs into separate sets, one "COMPLETE SET of enclosures" for each family member.

e.g., for your kids, put another photocopy of your foreign and Indian passport in his/her set of enclosures also, since their requirements need proof of parents being eligible for OCI.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had described exactly what we had done for our applications (2 adults, 2 kids) - 2 identical, stapled sets and no extra copies of parents docs with children's docs etc. and there was no problem in getting the process completed. It's your choice if you want to follow these extra steps.

I had described exactly what we had done for our applications (2 adults, 2 kids) - 2 identical, stapled sets and no extra copies of parents docs with children's docs etc. and there was no problem in getting the process completed. It's your choice if you want to follow these extra steps.

I can understand now and was just confusing with the posted message that might be for other cgi-consulte office.

So my Set 1 should contains the following items:
-----------------------------------------------
-Application Form (including A and B) for myself and child with original my signature, child left Thumb and pasted photographs.
Myself:
- Copy of First and Last page of Indian Passport.
- Copy of First and Last page of US Passport.
- Three pohotgraphs
Child:
- Copy of First and Last page of PIO.
- Copy of Birth Certificate
- Three pohotgraphs
--------------------------------------------------
- Fees $275 + $25 + $20(fedex returning docs fees)

Apart from this Do I include anything else also.

I will be mailing all the info hopefully next week.
Thanks ,

I can understand now and was just confusing with the posted message that might be for other cgi-consulte office.

So my Set 1 should contains the following items:
-Application Form (including A and B) for myself and child with original my signature, child left Thumb and pasted photographs.
Myself:
- Copy of First and Last page of Indian Passport.
- Three pohotgraphs
Child:
- Copy of First and Last page of PIO.
- Copy of Birth Certificate
- Three pohotgraphs
--------------------------------------------------
- Fees $275 + $25 + $20(fedex returning docs fees)

Apart from this Do I include anything else also.

I will be mailing all the info hopefully next week.
Thanks ,

This looks good.

This looks good.

With the application ,
-I need not to send any self addressed stamped enevlope A10 size.

-And Just I have to send the $20 for fees w/o including the self addresses fedex enevolope.

Its confusing when you read more and more posting on these sites.

Thank you so much Boss for your giudence and help & you will be rewarded for this ...May god bless you.

Thanks,

With the application ,
-I need not to send any self addressed stamped enevlope A10 size.

-And Just I have to send the $20 for fees w/o including the self addresses fedex enevolope.

Its confusing when you read more and more posting on these sites.

Thank you so much Boss for your giudence and help & you will be rewarded for this ...May god bless you.

Thanks,

Yes, if you didn't send the $20 return fee with the original application, you need to send it with passports. No need to send any envelope.

OCI Vs. Federal JOB's

I recently heard thru friends saying that OCI canditate Federal Job applications are rejected unofficilally. Means they are not letting join into Federal JOB's who has OCI. Is this true? Does it happen to anyone? Is it the news in the air?
Please advise!