Change of Status

rathi42

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I came to USA on J visa and recently I got my H1B approved for one year. My husband has also got his H1B approved for three years.
My queries are:

1. If I don't find another job before my present employement ends how can I maintain my status.

2. If I want to change my status from H1B to H4 what is the procedure and how long does it take for the processing. And when should I apply for H4 so I do not get out of status.

I really appreciate your help.
Thanks.

H1b to H4

Thanks GotPR for the reply. I had few other questions.

1 How early should I file the form I-539?
2. How long does it take to get your status changed from H1 to H4?
3. If my case is approved than I will be on H4 visa from the date of approval of I-539 or from the day my H1 expires (March 5, 2009).

1. As soon as you lost H1 job.
2. No idea
3. Starting date is written in I-94 attached to approval notice. If I539 asks when to start the new status, that might be the data written in I94.

I was also thinking as you mentioned:
“Starting date is written in I-94 attached to approval notice. If I539 asks when to start the new status, that might be the data written in I94.”
I-539 form only asks what is the current nonimmigration status and when does it expire. There is no place where it asks when to start the new status.
But when I talked to the USCIS, they said I will lose my current status (H1B) on the date of I-539 approval and I will be on H4 status.

Does anybody have similar experience? Please share

Thanks

Guys please reply:
I have I-94 valid till March 2009 with my current H1B. My questions are If I filed I-539 right now for changing of H1B to H4:
1. And If my I-539 gets approved in Dec 2008 for example, that means my status will be changed to H4 in Dec 2008 and I will get new I-94 with starting Dec 2008 instead of March 2009 (H1B expire date).
2. Is there any way that my H4 visa starts from the next day of my H1B expiration date without leaving country.
I appreciate your help. Please reply.

Ginnu, you are right. I am asking to discontinue my job, not trying to find a job.
My question is pretty simple to how and when should I apply for change of my status from H1B to H4 by applying COS (I-539). And what will be the starting date of my H4, its (H4)approval date or the next day of my H1B expiration date.

Please if you could provide me an answer.

Thanks

Ginnu, you are right. I am asking to discontinue my job, not trying to find a job.
My question is pretty simple to how and when should I apply for change of my status from H1B to H4 by applying COS (I-539).

And what will be the starting date of my H4, its (H4)approval date or the next day of my H1B expiration date.
-----------------I think it should be the H4 approval date. for the details you can ask your lawyer

Please if you could provide me an answer.

Thanks

--------------------------------