• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Change of Marital Status... Very Confusing!!!

We have obtained legal opinion and it seems that common law marriage and/or cohabitation are considered to be equal to “official marriage” regarding rights and obligations of spouses
Criteria for that is well known. Can you marry another woman wihout divorce if you are cohabitating? If yes, it is different from official marriage
Can you inherit from your cohabitation partner after her death without a will? If no, it is different from official marriage

Is there any chance that KCC will stop our application without scheduling interview for us in our native country
Usually KCC schedules interview in your country of residence, not in your native country.

I guess that we will have to hope for the same mistake in our case :)
We have almost prepared DSP and DS forms and we are sending them this weekend.

I guess that we will have to hope for the same mistake in our case :)
We have almost prepared DSP and DS forms and we are sending them this weekend.

Your case is not very difficult I have seen complicated cases in other threads. Since u have been living together, on your day of facing the CO carry proof of marriage (or staying together) like photos even before marriage, joint bank statements, if you have, love letters before even email exchanges. Plus after your marriage, carry wedding photos, give the CO no doubt of your relationship since you know ua gf since 2008. She will ask you how u sleep, how u have arranged your house, what u ate last night am sure those will be easy. n be couragious. Let no one make u lose hope its your chance try it.

why the hell did you guys do that i mean that is so risky .Get married fast ,only to get the visa on your passport then you can go your own way , ,but i can't understand why you put someone as a wife or husband if thats not .silly
,no way out of this ,only marriage can save you...,because it comes up that you lied on your DS 230 ,you answered you are married .

We applied as married because we lived together for over two years and planned to be married before the lottery results (that happened in April).
We didn't understand that it was not allowed...Honest mistake.
We are married now and we expect baby very soon and hope that our CO will be understanding.
Forms are sent.
Hope for the best.

If living together is routinely considered being married in your country e.g customary you stand good chance. If not then you're in trouble. The CO understand local trends better than even the applicants. If this scenario is acceptable as a marriage by your local practices then pursue the interview

Yes, criteria is well known

9 FAM 40.1 N1.2 Cohabitation
(CT:VISA-1614; 01-07-2011)
In the absence of a marriage certificate, an official verification, or a legal brief verifying full marital rights, a common law marriage or cohabitation is
considered to be a “valid marriage” for purposes of administering the U.S. immigration law only if:
(1) It bestows all of the same legal rights and duties possessed by partners in a lawfully contracted marriage; and
(2) Local laws recognize such cohabitation as being fully equivalent in every respect to a traditional legal marriage, e.g.:
(a) The relationship can only be terminated by divorce;
(b) There is a potential right to alimony;
(c) There is a right to intestate distribution of an estate; and
(d) There is a right of custody, if there are children.

Just to inform everybody...
After explaining our dilemma here my wife and I consulted with US embassy employees and they encouraged us to proceed with our application. Three of us (baby included) have completed the procedure and everything went smooth and ended well.
We have received US immigrant visas.

So, advice – be honest and persistent and everything will be alright.
Regards

Just to inform everybody...
After explaining our dilemma here my wife and I consulted with US embassy employees and they encouraged us to proceed with our application. Three of us (baby included) have completed the procedure and everything went smooth and ended well.
We have received US immigrant visas.

So, advice – be honest and persistent and everything will be alright.
Regards
Hello Mr. Marzik, where are you in the US?