• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Change of Marital Status... Very Confusing!!!

samfromnp

Registered Users (C)
Hello Everyone!

I am current for September, but right now I am pretty freaked out :mad::mad:

Well, when I filled the online form for DV2011, I included my Girlfriend as my wife (though not married, we were planning to marry soon!). Now, when the results came out, she was already outside the country for studies. We were still in good relationship, so we decided to send the forms together as a couple.

We thought my case number was very high, so we didn't give much thoughts to it. We broke up some months ago, and I don't know where she is!!!! I have a chance to get the visa, but I am afraid it will be ruined because I will be unable to explain the counselor about my situation. I know I need to tell the truth. Will they understand? I mean, I made the great mistake to include her as wife, even though we were not married.

If someone has similar experience, please share:
1. Should I tell them that I made the mistake to include her in the online form as well as DSP-122 and DS-230 I & II forms?
2. If I go to the interview alone, will they ask about her? I mean, can I just say we are separated or something?

I hope for some realistic advise to my problems.

You've lied in the forms. I do not want to scare you but this alone is grounds for rejection of your application. I am sorry.
You might able to make a case somehow, esp. if you can show them that the wedding was planned when you submitted the application. Anyways, you will be taking a chance of forfeiting your application fee ~$800 if you show up and are rejected.

yeah, very risky situation! you will jeopardize your own DV process! I agree with delit that you have made false statement in your application. I think you should call your GF back and get married soon before DV interview.

I will use this thread for my question which is somehow similar.
Please inform me if that is inappropriate and if I should start new thread.

Last October my girlfriend and I submitted online application forms and we also stated that we were married. Actually, we lived together since 2008 and we planned to start our family. We knew that we will be married before the lottery results. There was no "engaged" status to select, so we thought that "married" is the most reasonable.
We really got married in the first week of April 2011 and we are expecting a baby in September.
Couple of days ago we were both selected to proceed with GC process.
Now we are very worried what is going to happen with our applications.
The unintentional mistake that we made was not fraudulent and didn't provide us any advantage. On the other hand, we provided false information.
Any ideas how to proceed and what to do?
Thanks.

Thanks Corewin.
So, you think that it is better to "come clean" immediately with people from Kentucky than to wait interview in U.S. Embassy in my country...

This is a common type of fraud when a person sends several entries, using different spouses (who are not spouses) in each entry to cover up duplicate entries.
Depending on the consulate your entry will be denied under 212(a)(5)(A) - for the countries with medium and high level of fraud in dv lottery and not denied in countries with very low level of fraud in DV lottery. Example of a country with very low level of fraud in DV lottery is Sweden or Norway.

It is officially forbidden not to include your spouse into the entry. You have to be disqualified for that. But for including a non-spouse as a spouse you might be disqualified only on suspicion of multiple entry. Just try to make sure the interview will be conducted in a very mono-ethnic country with very high standard of living. Then you have very good chances to avoid disqualification for what you did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Samfromnp, I dont know where you are from but I'm from Africa and not all marriages are on paper, there is something like customary marriage. So you could argue that you had a traditional/customary marraige and had a traditional/customary separation before winning the GC. Just a thought.

I will use this thread for my question which is somehow similar.
Please inform me if that is inappropriate and if I should start new thread.

Last October my girlfriend and I submitted online application forms and we also stated that we were married. Actually, we lived together since 2008 and we planned to start our family. We knew that we will be married before the lottery results. There was no "engaged" status to select, so we thought that "married" is the most reasonable.
We really got married in the first week of April 2011 and we are expecting a baby in September.
Couple of days ago we were both selected to proceed with GC process.
Now we are very worried what is going to happen with our applications.
The unintentional mistake that we made was not fraudulent and didn't provide us any advantage. On the other hand, we provided false information.
Any ideas how to proceed and what to do?
Thanks.

Easy answer. You misrepresented your self and gave false information. This will mean "denial"...sorry but the rules are clear and for every one to read. They don't care, thousands apply and they don't care to deny soemone, if they don't they are open to Lawsuits.

Hello Everyone!

I am current for September, but right now I am pretty freaked out :mad::mad:

Well, when I filled the online form for DV2011, I included my Girlfriend as my wife (though not married, we were planning to marry soon!). Now, when the results came out, she was already outside the country for studies. We were still in good relationship, so we decided to send the forms together as a couple.

We thought my case number was very high, so we didn't give much thoughts to it. We broke up some months ago, and I don't know where she is!!!! I have a chance to get the visa, but I am afraid it will be ruined because I will be unable to explain the counselor about my situation. I know I need to tell the truth. Will they understand? I mean, I made the great mistake to include her as wife, even though we were not married.

If someone has similar experience, please share:
1. Should I tell them that I made the mistake to include her in the online form as well as DSP-122 and DS-230 I & II forms?
2. If I go to the interview alone, will they ask about her? I mean, can I just say we are separated or something?

I hope for some realistic advise to my problems.

Easy...lying means "denial" even if you didn't mean to lie...it was not filled out accordingly the requirements which is "telling the truth and signing it as comfirming the truth"...next person will be happy that another one will be denied..Sorry, every one can read the rules and regulations..

That is why so many Americans are against this lottery.

Samfromnp, I dont know where you are from but I'm from Africa and not all marriages are on paper, there is something like customary marriage. So you could argue that you had a traditional/customary marraige and had a traditional/customary separation before winning the GC. Just a thought.

Argue as in "lying"?

Proof in the form of pics will be required if they use this excuse. It's just sad when people make these kinds of bad judgement EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Marital status is very straightforward, you're either single, married or divorced.

They recognise all the duplicate entries, he just misunderstood how to fill up online form.
I am just saying how exactly the denial will be stated. Suspicion of multiple entry.

That is right.
We only applied once.
My wife (to be, at the time) submitted my details as her spouse, and I submitted hers.
Yes, you probably did. But the way the entries are checked for is based on the list of family members, and each difference against the real list raises a suspicion that there were multiple entries. You will not be able to rpove you have no miltiple entries.

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d071174.pdf

In addition to facial recognition software, KCC employees search for other fraud indicators as they collect additional documents from individuals selected in the lottery and prepare to send their cases to posts for adjudication. For example, they note, through “fraud flags,” if applicants (1) added a spouse or children to their case after being selected in the lottery, (2) if there were substantial changes to biographic details, or (3) if the applicant appeared in a different entry with different family members.

I have not seen any single visa obtained in this type of situation and saw a number of denials. But they all were not in the most developed countries. I see a lot of reason to consider this type of explanation as fraud. Also, consulate does not have a way to check for duplicates. That is done by KCC using the names of other family members you include into the entry. That is why changes in the list raise suspicion in the multiple entries.

......Just try to make sure the interview will be conducted in a very mono-ethnic country with very high standard of living. ........

Ah, the last time I heard of such a place......they say that a stupid woman gave her man a tainted apple to eat and the whole place got screwed up ever since!!