Cancelling Indian PP after citizenship

bkd52

Registered Users (C)
I looked up the CGI-Houston website. All it says is to send the passport in for a cancellation stamp.

Is there a form and a fee for it, do I need to send in a copy of my Naturalization certificate; or do I just mail the PP to Houston Consulate with a cover letter?

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked up the CGI-Houston website. All it says is to send the passport in for a cancellation stamp.

Is there a form and a fee for it, do I need to send in a copy of my Naturalization certificate; or do I just mail the PP to Houston Consulate with a cover letter?

It is free. All they do is put a cancel stamp in the passport.

Don't u ever dare to send in naturalization certificate to them. One of the worse (I mean typical back home) service in the world.

Normally, you don't specifically apply for cancellation of India passport. You can get the canceled stamp when you apply for OCI and send in your US passport for stamping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious. How many in this forum have opted for OCI instead of the PIO card?

I don't want to have to apply for a visa every so often to travel to India. Plus, I'd like to buy a retirement home in India someday (if I can afford it)

Just curious. How many in this forum have opted for OCI instead of the PIO card?

I don't want to have to apply for a visa every so often to travel to India. Plus, I'd like to buy a retirement home in India someday (if I can afford it)

OP you are better off asking this question in return2india forums than here. There are many threads with respect to this topic over there. You can buy any property except agricultural land using your OCI status. Whether you can afford it or not is all togther a different issue :) Just be ready to shell out a few Crores.