Canadian-American passport holder really confused!

jjay09

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Canadian citizen who also have u.s passport but lives in canada wants to bring his spouse to either u.s or canada can some one tell me since he lives in canada his address is based for canada not u.s but if he moves into u.s changes his address in u.s soil, can he still bring his spouse to u.s rather then in canada?

and what will he have to do to bring his spouse in u.s but not canada? i am sure get his addresss change! and does he need to stay in u.s for sometime limit to sponsor his wife into u.s or can he just move into u.s and apply like after a month?

once his address is changed into u.s soil. so plz tell what else he need to do to bring his wife into u.s?

is it faster in u.s then canada?

which requires more paperwork?

Two different countries and two different procedures. First the subject needs to decide where he/she wants to live with his/her spouse.

Canadian citizen who also have u.s passport but lives in canada wants to bring his spouse to either u.s or canada can some one tell me since he lives in canada his address is based for canada not u.s but if he moves into u.s changes his address in u.s soil, can he still bring his spouse to u.s rather then in canada?

and what will he have to do to bring his spouse in u.s but not canada? i am sure get his addresss change! and does he need to stay in u.s for sometime limit to sponsor his wife into u.s or can he just move into u.s and apply like after a month?

once his address is changed into u.s soil. so plz tell what else he need to do to bring his wife into u.s?

is it faster in u.s then canada?

which requires more paperwork?

umm i dont know wat to say, but i still havent got my answer yet! does anyone else have any idea?

okay sorry if u guys had lil hard time understanding my post, appologize to u guys :) but all i am asking is,

is it faster to bring his spouse in u.s or canada?

which requires more paperwork? canadian or american immigration?

he's canadian and american citizen holds passport from both countries if he wants to bring his wife to u.s can he do that by moving into u.s and changing his home address to u.s?

and are there any time limit (months/years) that you have to live in u.s to sponsor your wife?

I don't know about Canada, but marriage-based immigration (with a US citizen) is normally 6-12 months.

There are income requirements for immigration to the US based on marriage, and the US citizen sponsor is expected to live in the US with the spouse. So the income must be available to the US citizen when living in the US, which means that a Canadian-based job normally would not qualify (possible exception is if it is a job close to the border or there is an arrangement with the employer to fly back and forth regularly) and it's not just a matter of changing one's address to the US.

Then after the US green card is approved, you need to apply again 2 years later to upgrade from the 2-year conditional green card to the unconditional 10-year card. The couple is expected to still be married and living together and to provide proof of that as necessary (there are exceptions such as spousal abuse).

This site is focused on US immigration, so you're not likely to get many good answers about the requirements and timelines for Canadian immigration. A site focused on Canadian immigration would be a better source for that.

Last edited by a moderator: