Canada Travel with White Card...

RAsylee

Registered Users (C)
I just got approved and have the white card indicating the adjustment of status etc....

Has anyone experience here with driving to the canada with this particular document. Just like lots of folks my RTD application is pending for almost three months now.....and I do not have a valid passport...

Quick question is ...Can I travel to Canada and back (driving) with this Card.... ? Or other documentation will be required... Has anyone done that and if they did what was the experience......Thanks...

Regards,

Searching on internet I found this ...

Web address for this page is :
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.html

Many people do not require a visa to visit Canada. These include:

Among other information it said following about US permanent residents

persons lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who are in possession of their alien registration card (Green card) or can provide other evidence of permanent residence

This is what the document says but I am more interested if someone has a personal experience....I will research this a bit more and share the results here...

Regards,

Rasylee, IMHO, you are going to a foreign country (Canada), therefore you need some kind of travel document or a national passport. from what I understand, all the white card says is you are permanent resident but it is not a travel document. Before 9/11, you could cross to Canada just by showing your DL. but now they are very strict. I wouldn't gamble on it, it will be wise to make a phone call.

good luck

I think if you are travelling by road, then this white card is OK. But if flying then prepare to show them some travel document.
I have noticed that travelling by road is a peace of cake 99% unless you meet some jerk 1% of the time.

White card

i have a friend who got a white card last month and she traveled to Toronto by road last weekend...no problem at all! Have a nice trip!

Andrew01,

Thanks for sharing your friend's experience. Yes I will be driving to Toronto as well. Did your friend had any passport or RTD along with the white card and how was your friend border crossing experiencing while coming back to US?

Thanks,

I believe the white card is all you need for a trip to Canada. I would call the CIC customer service number before going.

Just curious if the duration of time one spends in Canada would count against the number of days you need to be present in the US in order to be eligible for N-400. If it does how can the USCIS know how many days a person spent in Canada since there are no records such as depearture and return dates stamped in PP or travel document.

Originally posted by JackIsBack
Just curious if the duration of time one spends in Canada would count against the number of days you need to be present in the US in order to be eligible for N-400. If it does how can the USCIS know how many days a person spent in Canada since there are no records such as depearture and return dates stamped in PP or travel document.

I believe your green card is scanned at the POEs.

Andrew01

Has your friend arrived back here or is she still visiting? If she has arrived back in USA how was her experience at the border...Thanks...

Regards,

RAsylee

She is back now going to school at a University. The officer just looked at her white card and asked her where did she go and what did she buy etc. hope this helps!

Andrew01,

Thank you for sharing your friend's experience. I will share my experience after I have completed my trip.... Thanks again.

Regards

RAsylee

I actually travel to Toronto at least once a month with my RTD. There aren't much problem entering Canada but there is always delay getting back to USA. The US officer usually gave me a new I-94. But with your white card i don't think the office will ask for your I-94.

Hi..I travelled to Canada twice on the white card (with the I551 stamp) and had no problem at all either entering Canada or returning to the USA. This was via Detroit - Windsor. No need for any passport or RTD.

Energizer,

Thanks for sharing the information, it is greatly appreciated. I will be travelling tonight via Detroit/Windsor to Toronto.

Regards,

I drove to Canada but at the inspection point the lady officer just asked me questions that I responded to:

citizenship...
Visiting where? for How long?
Are u a US permenat resident ?
Standard questions as to what are u bringing in and etc....

She never asked me to show me her documents and let me drive in Canada...(Windsor Bridge) so the officer never inspected my White Card or any other document....

On my return I drove back via Buffalo....
Officer asked me standard questions....
Looked at my White Card....Checked it both ways...and then waived me in ....

I am glad that trip to Canada with the white card was un-eventful as far as immigration checkpoints are concerned... I wish all the entries and exits are same....un-eventful :)

Regards,

Rasylee...now that you are a PR, your entries should be pretty uneventful. I returned from a trip to Asia recently and the whole process took a few seconds (immigration). The immigration desk used to send me to the "back room" before, but not anymore.

Customs could be a different story, they'll give you a hard time even if you are a U.S. citizen (it is a matter of luck with them).

Glad your trip went well, hope you enjoyed your time in Canada.

Hi Rasylee,
We use to travel with Costco Card only in good old times between Canada and US.
This times are gone but I can assure you Canadians are much much more reasonable at
crossing points than here in a States.
But since your whife is a Canadian citizen the most important issue for Canadians are:
Are you are going to stay permanently there since you are eligible for such a move and they prefer to do residency applications abroad. So they taught number one and only concern will be:
Are you moving in to avoid consular waiting time not your documents.
To avoid this unpleasantness if you decide to go, bring some proof of your permanent
Employment in US.
This will be satisfactory for the authorities I hope.
I am planning the visit with my husband in the nearest future to Canada.
Good luck, have a good time in Canada and let us know about your trip!