Can we use our national passport when traveling?

boncorne

Registered Users (C)
Hello everybody, I was wondering (even though I have a valid RTD) whether I can use my national passport to enter countries that do not require a visa for nationals of my state... For example when arrive at the airport, I could just show my passport instead of an RTD to avoid extra scrutiny. Does anybody have any experience if the INS would care about such a thing upon return to US or later down the line? I mean technically a lot of us haven't surrendered our citizenship, so why not use it when traveling for convenience? Thanks folks, look forward to your replies.

B

do not do it

boncorne said:
Hello everybody, I was wondering (even though I have a valid RTD) whether I can use my national passport to enter countries that do not require a visa for nationals of my state... For example when arrive at the airport, I could just show my passport instead of an RTD to avoid extra scrutiny. Does anybody have any experience if the INS would care about such a thing upon return to US or later down the line? I mean technically a lot of us haven't surrendered our citizenship, so why not use it when traveling for convenience? Thanks folks, look forward to your replies.

B
my cousin was interrogated by an immigration officer for using his national passport. They asked him whether he traveled to his country and he replied positively. He has traveled to his country this year after spending 12 years in the USA. He had not visited his country during these long years and decided to go after getting his green card and after realizing that conditions did change back home. Nevertheless, he is now waiting for a possible letter informing him that his asylum will be terminated. DO NOT USE YOUR NATIONAL PASSPORT. THESE IMMIGRATION FUC/ERS CAN NOT WAIT TO TAKE YOUR GREEN CARD AWAY.. DO NOT GIVE THEM A CHANCE. Gilbert, please elaborate on that if you can and tell him/her not to use this passport

boncorne said:

B

If you are an asylee who has NOT become a permanent resident yet, the law REQUIRES you to use your refugee travel document to come back to the United States. Basically without your RTD you will not be readmitted to the country as an asyee. So there is really no choice here.

If you have been granted asylum (regardless of if you have been adjusted to LPR status), using or renewing your national passport casts very serious doubt on the bona fides of your asylum application. The USCIS would be more than reasonable to reexamine such asylum cases. In fact they have done so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, that's what I suspected too guys. Probably not the smartest idea. Although I hear some horror stories of some countries not really recognizing that new RTD of our's because the immigration officers haven't seen anything like that before and give you all kinds of hard time. I still wonder if the USCIS would have issues with me meeting my family or friends in the nieghboring country. I mean if they're so picky they might start being snoopy and investigate further if I actually went to my home country (which I'm not planning on doing). They sure made me paranoid now, I'm afraid to go anywhere even close to my country of origin. Thanks for your input though, it was helpful.

B

sickINS said:
my cousin was interrogated by an immigration officer for using his national passport. They asked him whether he traveled to his country and he replied positively. He has traveled to his country this year after spending 12 years in the USA. He had not visited his country during these long years and decided to go after getting his green card and after realizing that conditions did change back home. Nevertheless, he is now waiting for a possible letter informing him that his asylum will be terminated. DO NOT USE YOUR NATIONAL PASSPORT. THESE IMMIGRATION FUC/ERS CAN NOT WAIT TO TAKE YOUR GREEN CARD AWAY.. DO NOT GIVE THEM A CHANCE. Gilbert, please elaborate on that if you can and tell him/her not to use this passport

I renewed my national passport because i needed to travel to a country that does not acknowledge RTD. I did not have problems coming back but you never know. Your cousin's story is starting to make me concerned. I did not visit my country though. I just can not do it now since it is not safe yet. On another note, did anyone hear from Mirelle? She is the person who insisted to visit her home country after getting her green card and was very passionate about this issue. I have not heard from her for a while. I hope they did not revoke her asylum.

I've heard a story of a guy who travelled to his home country back and forth. He renewed his national passport, used his RTD to cross the Canadian border, then he was using his national passport to travel to his home country, then back to Canada using his national passport and was then crossing the Canada/US border using his RTD again. Worked well for him. Noone ever found out.

karina said:
I've heard a story of a guy who travelled to his home country back and forth. He renewed his national passport, used his RTD to cross the Canadian border, then he was using his national passport to travel to his home country, then back to Canada using his national passport and was then crossing the Canada/US border using his RTD again. Worked well for him. Noone ever found out.

you never know if he was lucky. it is illegal to travel with two passports at the same time. if they search you, you will have to do a lot of explaining why you have 2 passports. It is not illegeal to have it, but just to travel with it.

I have extensively travelled in the past seven years (I was granted asylum in 1997). My experience is that using the Refugee Travel Document or Reentry Permit entitles me to enormous respect/convenience. The document is issued by the United States of America, the most powerful nation in the world. Despite what the editorial page of the New York Times might say, this country is prestigious in most places.

I would not use my national passport even if it were an option.

boncorne said:
Yep, that's what I suspected too guys. Probably not the smartest idea. Although I hear some horror stories of some countries not really recognizing that new RTD of our's because the immigration officers haven't seen anything like that before and give you all kinds of hard time. I still wonder if the USCIS would have issues with me meeting my family or friends in the nieghboring country. I mean if they're so picky they might start being snoopy and investigate further if I actually went to my home country (which I'm not planning on doing). They sure made me paranoid now, I'm afraid to go anywhere even close to my country of origin. Thanks for your input though, it was helpful.

B

shamshon said:
I renewed my national passport because i needed to travel to a country that does not acknowledge RTD. I did not have problems coming back but you never know. Your cousin's story is starting to make me concerned. I did not visit my country though. I just can not do it now since it is not safe yet. On another note, did anyone hear from Mirelle? She is the person who insisted to visit her home country after getting her green card and was very passionate about this issue. I have not heard from her for a while. I hope they did not revoke her asylum.

Just exercise common sense and you will realize how suspicious renewing a national passport is--even to CIS officers most sympathetic to asylum (and many CIS people already think most asylees are fakes).

Many countries that run an asylum program actually take away your passport upon asylum approval. If you want it back, you need to submit a long application to explain yourself. Sooner or later the CIS will adopt this rule (it has been discussed a number of times with the NGOs).

A Refugee Travel Document is designed for your exclusive use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Asylee need RTD to visit canada by road

Does anyone knows, if asylee with green card and drivers license, need RTD to go to canada by road through Detroit?

Travel to canada

hello guys,
I recieved my Temporary Green Card (the white -I 94 like- card with pic) and I do have a valid RTD until end of august. can I fly to Canada using either or both, or do I need the Plastic Card itself?

Canadian entry requirement

siddig said:
hello guys,
I recieved my Temporary Green Card (the white -I 94 like- card with pic) and I do have a valid RTD until end of august. can I fly to Canada using either or both, or do I need the Plastic Card itself?

"persons lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who are in possession of their alien registration card (Green card) or can provide other evidence of permanent residence. "

I guess the I551 is a good evidence for PR.

for more details, check out
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.html

What I don't understand is how does USCIS ever find out if a person renews his/her national passport in the first place? Can someone provide any instances?

And even if a person tell straightly to an officer that he renewed his national passport, there are many legit reasons for this (such as the United Arab Emirates) given above. The officer has no evidence to prove that this person is lying in the asylum application.

jackdanie7 said:
What I don't understand is how does USCIS ever find out if a person renews his/her national passport in the first place? Can someone provide any instances?

And even if a person tell straightly to an officer that he renewed his national passport, there are many legit reasons for this (such as the United Arab Emirates) given above. The officer has no evidence to prove that this person is lying in the asylum application.
Please refer to Gilbert's argument that most asylum officers think that asylees are mostly fake. These days you can not understand many things that are happening. There is a strong anti-immigrant sentiment and you are a fair game if you are an immigrant. I am not trying to sound paranoid but reality is immigrants have to think a hundred times before taking any action no matter how innocent it is. 124 more days and America will be free again.

shamshon said:
Please refer to Gilbert's argument that most asylum officers think that asylees are mostly fake. These days you can not understand many things that are happening. There is a strong anti-immigrant sentiment and you are a fair game if you are an immigrant. I am not trying to sound paranoid but reality is immigrants have to think a hundred times before taking any action no matter how innocent it is. 124 more days and America will be free again.

Shamshon,

Bush could win actually.