Can we use our national passport when traveling?

Gilbert said:
I have extensively travelled in the past seven years (I was granted asylum in 1997). My experience is that using the Refugee Travel Document or Reentry Permit entitles me to enormous respect/convenience. The document is issued by the United States of America, the most powerful nation in the world.

I strongly disagree. This *king document is not even worth the ink and paper used to produce it. I had the hardest time getting a visa to several countries from the so-called free world!

bringslite said:
I strongly disagree. This *king document is not even worth the ink and paper used to produce it. I had the hardest time getting a visa to several countries from the so-called free world!
Perhaps you had a hard time because the embassy officials suspected that you will over-stay there. They think that since you are a refugee you will make a habit of going to a country and claim refugee status . When i went to Europe last year, i noticed that they have so many immigrants living in the streets. When i asked them about what is going on, they say that these were refugees who arrived illegally to their countries. What made America unique and special is that every refugee got his or due process and got a date in court. However, in Europe, refugees are shipped back home immediately but few managed to escape. Those who escaped can not find a job since the economy sucks in Europe. Meanwhile, if you are able to work in America you will find a job easily and you wont have to live in the streets. God bless America.

Overstay?

Overstay where my friend? With a degree from an Ivy League US school, and a very good career (I included all that with my apps. in addition to a decent bank statement). So even if I decided to stay, they would welcome me and use my expertise, and I would not become a public charge.

Bottom line is that, because your document was issued by the greatest country in the world, does not mean that you belong to that country, untill your issued that country's REAL passport.

Last edited by a moderator:
bringslite said:
Overstay where my friend? With a degree from an Ivy League US school, and a very good career (I included all that with my apps. in addition to a decent bank statement). So even if I decided to stay, they would welcome me and use my expertise, and I would not become a public charge.

Bottom line is that, because your document was issued by the greatest country in the world, does not mean that you belong to that country, untill your issued that country's REAL passport.

All the richest countries in the world run asylum programs and all issue refugee travel documents to approved asylum applicants. These are just golden documents, 1000000% better than your country passports.

jw1951 said:
All the richest countries in the world run asylum programs and all issue refugee travel documents to approved asylum applicants. These are just golden documents, 1000000% better than your country passports.

Absolutely. You cannnot even compare a US Refugee Travel Document to a passport from one of those despotic countries that generate so many asylum applicants. It is hell and heaven.

The moment I received my asylum grant, I did not want to see my national passport, ever!!!!

It depends on the country you are visiting. Some countries would prefer your country's passport over your refugee papers, depending on the political ties (it happened to me when I was trying to visit some countries which refused to issue me visa, but told me that I did not need one had I used my national passport!).

anotheryear said:
The moment I received my asylum grant, I did not want to see my national passport, ever!!!!

Well, I do not know about that. You see, I am a POLITICAL refugees and not an ECONOMY-DRIVEN refugees. I love my home country very much (I also love this country which has provided me with a safe haven, and I consider it to be my second home). My problem at home was with the people who run the country, and not with the place itself where I grew up and have the best memories!