can my spouse work here?

sticklizard

Registered Users (C)
1. my spouse and i are both Canadians
2. i'm currently on TN-1, applying for H1B in Apr 09
3. spouse lives/works in Canada, but will move down here with me this xmas.
4. my company is helping me out with TN/H1B/GC costs.

If I plan to start my TN-1 > Greencard approach in March 2009, and assuming I get my PERM/I-140/I-485 approved without issues, when's the earliest she can start working?

she cannot work on H4. She will not be able to work until you apply for AOS and a work permit, and she actually gets a work permit.

The spouse and unmarried minor (under age 21) children of a TN1 worker who are Canadian citizens are granted TD immigration status. Dependents in TD status are not eligible for employment.

Why doesn't she get a TN-1 independently from you to be able to work?

she cannot work on H4. She will not be able to work until you apply for AOS and a work permit, and she actually gets a work permit.

Why doesn't she get a TN-1 independently from you to be able to work?

She is trying to get her own TN1, but in this economy its not easy. I just wanted to find out how many months I'll have to wait from the time I start my PERM until she's able to work. I assume she gets its the same time as when I get my EAD/AP. That's also assuming she's on either a TD or H4.

you should ask EB-immigration related questions in the EB-immigration subforum. You are currently asking them in the family-based immigration subforum.

She is trying to get her own TN1, but in this economy its not easy. I just wanted to find out how many months I'll have to wait from the time I start my PERM until she's able to work. I assume she gets its the same time as when I get my EAD/AP. That's also assuming she's on either a TD or H4.
it depends on where you were born and your EB category. Without this info, I'd say 6, 7 months to 7, 8 years.

i put this in 'Family Based' because this is concerning my spouse...

but it has nothing to do with family immigration. You are not the one petitioning your spouse, are you? it's just that you may find people who know more about EB immigration on the EB immigration forum, rather than on the FB forum.
Just trying to help by pointing you in the right direction.