Can My mother apply for SS before received her GC in the Mail?

tanga

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,

My mother got her IR5 visa on Dec 10, and she enter in the US on Dec 15. I want to know if my mother can apply for Social Security before her GC come in the mail. Because, in her passport shows that she has IR5 visa as permanent residence valid for one year. Thanks, and happy new year.

Hello everyone,

My mother got her IR5 visa on Dec 10, and she enter in the US on Dec 15. I want to know if my mother can apply for Social Security before her GC come in the mail. Because, in her passport shows that she has IR5 visa as permanent residence valid for one year. Thanks, and happy new year.

Any reply?

Hello everyone,

My mother got her IR5 visa on Dec 10, and she enter in the US on Dec 15. I want to know if my mother can apply for Social Security before her GC come in the mail.
Apply for a Social Security card, or apply to receive Social Security benefits (money)?

The stamp in her passport is sufficient to apply for a SS card. Actually, she should not even have to apply for a SS card; they should send the card automatically if she requested that option on her immigration paperwork (form DS-230). The SS card and the plastic green card should arrive in the mail within a month after her entry to the US with the immigrant visa.

Getting Social Security benefits would involve another set of requirements.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am assuming you are asking about applying for a social security number. Yes she can apply using her I-551 stamp.
When visiting the SS office to apply she should ask if one was already issued (which they may have done already as I mentioned above). Sometimes they can tell the number to you before the card has been printed.

Apply for a Social Security card, or apply to receive Social Security benefits (money)?

The stamp in her passport is sufficient to apply for a SS card. Actually, she should not even have to apply for a SS card; they should send the card automatically if she requested that option on her immigration paperwork (form DS-230). The SS card and the plastic green card should arrive in the mail within a month after her entry to the US with the immigrant visa.

Getting Social Security benefits would involve another set of requirements.

Thank you, I was asking about apply her SS card.