Can i use my foreign passport after taking the oath?

oren200

Registered Users (C)
I am scheduled for oath next week and will apply for passport right after. However - I plan to travel soon, before I get my american passport.
Is it ok to use my original non-US passport and have the new passport sent to me (by friend) to my out of country address ?
I think sometimes they ask just to see GC/visa on fboarding lights leaving the US, so if I dont have my GC (need to give it up after oath) and no US passport, am not sure I can do this .

Yes, I would say that your biggest problem is with boarding that plane without being able to show a Green Card or any other sort of visa. Not worth it. It is unwise to schedule travel before securing your US passport. However, you can try to get a passport at the passport agency with proof of your impending trip. There are also businesses that specialize in getting you a passport in one or two days. If you go ahead with your plans please let us know how you can get out of the country without showing in which status you were in the country.

Depends on your original citizenship before you take oath for US citizenship

If its not a dual citizenship based country, effectively the date you take oath, your first country's citizen ship is nullified (technically atleast) and you will have no viable passport

I suggest you go to local passport office and I have heard you can get american passport in one or two days if you can prove your urgency to travel

Good luck

I am scheduled for oath next week and will apply for passport right after. However - I plan to travel soon, before I get my american passport.
Is it ok to use my original non-US passport and have the new passport sent to me (by friend) to my out of country address ?
I think sometimes they ask just to see GC/visa on fboarding lights leaving the US, so if I dont have my GC (need to give it up after oath) and no US passport, am not sure I can do this .

There is a even faster passport application procedure than regualr expresss
application. You can make next-day anpointment and apply in person directly in a passport office.

Use your old passport and , after you are done with whatever business there, then commit a victimless CIMT there and ask the "USCIS" of that country to deport you back to the USA

thanks guys for responding. I do have a valid non US passport, and dual citizenship is ok.
I guess I could even tak ethe naturalization document with me and apply for a passport at the US embassy in my country, but best would probably to apply for expedited passport before leaving the US.

I do have a valid non US passport, and dual citizenship is ok.

but best would probably to apply for expedited passport before leaving the US.

The problem with using your non-US passport would be getting back into the the US. If you did not have a current and open Visa stamp in it then there is no way the airline will let you on the plane to come back to the US. Even if they did, it would highly unlikely the US immigration here would let you back in.

I suggest strongly that you follow your own last sentence and get a US Passport before leaving.

I got my expedited in about two weeks-with the fourth of July weekend in between. Plus I had requested for additional visa pages , as I travel a bit.

But as others have said you can get same day or next day passport at one of the passpot agencies by making an appt. I think all you need is a proof of travel-tickets within some time.
http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_4312.html

As someone mentioned , there are agencies that specialize in this for a fee if you don't wan't to spend your time standing in line, travelling to and fro etc.

Once you become a U.S. citizen, the law requires you to use your U.S. passport to enter or depart the United States. This applies to all U.S. citizens, even those with dual citizenship.

That law can be found here: 8 U.S.C. sec. 1185(b) and at the following link: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/8/1185.html

Information at http://travel.state.gov also reiterates the requirement that U.S. citizens holding dual citizenship must use a U.S. passport to depart or enter the United States.

Your best bet is to ensure that you can get your passport through expedited options as other posters have suggested, or to postpone your trip until you have your U.S. passport in hand.

The moment you take that oath, you are USA citizen. Any travel within minutes after that should be made as a USA citizen only. If it is an emergency travel, you can walk into USA passport office and apply for emergency USA passport by showing your plane ticket. The passport will be issued in few hours. So, I don't see why you have to use a non-US passport after taking oath? Infact it is illegal

That is not correct. Using a non-US passport is not illegal, provided the newly naturalised US citizen did not lose his original citizenship. US citizens are expected to be in possession of a US passport when they depart the US. However, all such enforcement is done upon re-entry. So if a newly naturalised citizen departs the US on his/her original passport but acquires a US passport while abroad, he/she will be fine upon re-entry.

So, I don't see why you have to use a non-US passport after taking oath? Infact it is illegal

That is not correct. Using a non-US passport is not illegal, provided the newly naturalised US citizen did not lose his original citizenship. US citizens are expected to be in possession of a US passport when they depart the US. However, all such enforcement is done upon re-entry. So if a newly naturalised citizen departs the US on his/her original passport but acquires a US passport while abroad, he/she will be fine upon re-entry.
Actually, according to the law:

"(b) Citizens
Except as otherwise provided by the President and subject to such limitations and exceptions as the President may authorize and prescribe, it shall be unlawful for any citizen of the United States to depart from or enter, or attempt to depart from or enter, the United States unless he bears a valid United States passport. "

it is illegal, which does seem counterintuitive since they have no formal process for checking departures.

If you read carefully, I was correcting spiderman03's post stating that use of a non-US passport is illegal. I was not saying that a US citizen should depart the US without a US passport. Two different entities all together.

You are correct. Unless there is passport control at exit, it is difficult to enforce half of the regulation :)

it is illegal, which does seem counterintuitive since they have no formal process for checking departures.

If one left the US with a non-US passport and applies for a US passport overseas to prepare for the entry, wouldn't the gov know right then that (s)he violated the law and departed the US without a US passport?

If one left the US with a non-US passport and applies for a US passport overseas to prepare for the entry, wouldn't the gov know right then that (s)he violated the law and departed the US without a US passport?

I read somewhere a few years ago that for dual citizens, it is ok to use country X's passport to enter country X and use US passport to return to USA.

I read somewhere a few years ago that for dual citizens, it is ok to use country X's passport to enter country X and use US passport to return to USA.
But that's a separate issue from having a US passport. The US govt. expects you to have a US passport when you leave the US, even if you use another passport upon arrival in another country.

But that's a separate issue from having a US passport. The US govt. expects you to have a US passport when you leave the US, even if you use another passport upon arrival in another country.

I agree. Also it should be OK to apply for US passport at Country X's US embassy as long as one is Citizen of X as well.

No such requirement. I can apply for a US passport at any US Embassy. It does not need to be the US embassy in Islamabad or Ottawa.

Also it should be OK to apply for US passport at Country X's US embassy as long as one is Citizen of X as well.