Can I lose my green card if i become a PR of another counrty?

Filipok

Registered Users (C)
I have a US green card and currently live in the UK. I also have a US reentry permit so I can stay in the UK for 1.5 more years or longer if i manage to get another one. I can get a UK permanent resident status this year and then next year become a British citizen if all goes well. My plan is to get a UK PR status, become British and then move to the US using my Green Card. How risky is this plan in terms of losing the Green Card? How likely is it that US border control checks my UK immigration status and takes away my green card if they find out that I've become a UK PR after receiving it?

Extended overseas travel can prompt them to send you the secondary inspection room, where they'll subject you to a barrage of questions and look up a bunch of stuff about you on their computer. Becoming PR of another country combined with long trips outside the US is definitely a reason for taking away your green card. What you're trying is very risky.

Extended overseas travel can prompt them to send you the secondary inspection room, where they'll subject you to a barrage of questions and look up a bunch of stuff about you on their computer. Becoming PR of another country combined with long trips outside the US is definitely a reason for taking away your green card. What you're trying is very risky.
Is it likely that I have to go through secondary inspection if i have a reentry permit and return to the US before it expires after less than 2 years' absence?

Even if I do have to go though extensive screening, how will they find out that I am a PR of a different country? I was told that if i have a RP i should only show my green card and US travel document when i enter the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't think that the US and UK share immigration data?

Additionally, if you spent a long time in the UK without being a citizen they will ask you how you were able to stay there for so long.

Is it likely that I have to go through secondary inspection if i have a reentry permit and return to the US before it expires after less than 2 years' absence?

Even if I do have to go though extensive screening, how will they find out that I am a PR of a different country? I was told that if i have a RP i should only show my green card and US travel document when i enter the US.

An "Indefinite Leave To Remain" (UK PR) stamp in you passport, with dates?
That might catch their attention when they ask to look at your passport.

H

You don't think that the US and UK share immigration data?

Additionally, if you spent a long time in the UK without being a citizen they will ask you how you were able to stay there for so long.
I don't think US and UK share their data routinely. I mean, they do share a lot of data on terrorists/criminals but not on ordinary people.

Unlike in Canada, there are many immigrants who spend years in the UK and other European countries on temporary visas.

Again, what will you say if they ask you how you stayed in the UK for over a year?
The truth - that was staying there on an employment-based visa and working there because I didn't want to give the only job i had in the middle of a financial crisis.

The truth - that was staying there on an employment-based visa and working there because I didn't want to give the only job i had in the middle of a financial crisis.
Then they'll say "show me the visa." If they see it, they'll realize you're a UK PR. If you replace the passport, you lose credibility by being unable to show the visa. Either way you lose.

They really let people become citizens after just a year of being a PR?
They let people apply for citizenship a year after becoming a PR. It may take 2 to 6 months more to actually get a UK passport. But it takes years to become a PR (from 4 to 15 or more years).

Replacing passports is quite a normal course of life, they shouldn't question this.
It's not the passport replacement itself, it's being unable to show the claimed "work visa", and the inability to show it would make you less believable. It looks fishy if you are coming from the UK and are unable to show evidence of legal status in the UK.

I don't think US and UK share their data routinely. I mean, they do share a lot of data on terrorists/criminals but not on ordinary people.

Unlike in Canada, there are many immigrants who spend years in the UK and other European countries on temporary visas.

How can you assume that they are considering you under "Ordinary People". Terrorist's passport also does not have a stamp that " I am terrorist".:)

How can you assume that they are considering you under "Ordinary People". Terrorist's passport also does not have a stamp that " I am terrorist".:)

But the US visa application forms have a question "Are you a terrorist?" or someting similar. If you answer "No", you become one of us "ordinary people" :D

A US LPR is expected to file US taxes. Working in a foreign country not as an intra-company transfer can be used to demonstrate that you have forfeited GC -reentry permit or not.

Pick ONE country to immigrate to.