Can an rtd be expedited?

GayGuy

Registered Users (C)
Hey all,
i just recognized that my rtd is to expire next in two weeks and i need to travel before that. Has anyone applied and gotten an rtd that quickly? What can i do at this time? Also, my travel arrangements would take me back to the us just one day before thew rtd expires. If i cant get it back in time would i be ok to travel as is right now?

In short, RTDs can't be expedited for usual circumstances. I need my RTD sooner than 3 months, so I e-mailed USCIS. Here's the response I received:

"There is no fee for expedited processing, however you must submit a request for this service and your reason for requesting this service must meet one or more of the following criteria.

1. Severe financial loss to company or individual
2. Extreme emergent situation
3. Humanitarian situation
4. Non-profit status of petitioner in pursuit of cultural/social interest in the U.S.
5. Department of Defense or National Interest Situation (Note: Request must come from official United States Government Entity and state that the delay will be detrimental to our government.)
6. Service Error
7. Compelling interest of the Service"

My situation doesn't fall under any of these categories, but I still wrote on the envelope EXPEDITED SERVICE and received fingerprint notice (code 3) in 3 weeks - I have an appointment next Monday. I really hope I'll have the RTD in few more weeks after that, not 3 months, as stated on their web-site as standard processing time. Maybe someone else can tell us how long did it take them to receive RTD after fingerprinting? I'm very curious as well.

Sorry, I don't know the answer to the 2nd half of your question about only having 1 day left before expiration.

Follow the expediting instructions and write a cover letter explaining your circumstances. Try to show that if you can't go, you will have financial hardship, etc. No guarantees, but I had my RTDs expedited twice for studying, and they were.

as cafeconleche mentioned, just follow the expedited processing request instructions (write expedite on envelopes, send self addressed express mailers, write cover letter with contact info explaining why ur requesting expedited processing, etc) and hope for the best. i personally think it also really depends on the officer adjudicating ur case. i mailed my application with all the documents and the expedited request at the end of last week, got my fingerprint notice and had my biometrics taken already. the whole thing took about a week.

You only need to "embark" on your return trip before the document expires and you will be allowed back in even if it has expired after you departed but before you arrived. See 8 CFR 211.3

Hey all,
i just recognized that my rtd is to expire next in two weeks and i need to travel before that. Has anyone applied and gotten an rtd that quickly? What can i do at this time? Also, my travel arrangements would take me back to the us just one day before thew rtd expires. If i cant get it back in time would i be ok to travel as is right now?

I think someone here on these forums or other i believe applied in November of last year and are still waiting for the RTD. The expedited request seldomly works with an RTD.

it also worked for me. they received my application around march 20th and I just got my RTD this week. make sure you put together a neat and professional package and send them a well written expedited request letter and include the required express mailers.

My RTD has been pending for over 3 month. There is only one LUD three months ago when they issued the receipt notice.

Why do they take that long to issue a document that is valid for only one year?