Can an applicant of immigration apply for F (student) visa? seniors help!!

Nightingle

Registered Users (C)
B2 holder, intend to immigrate thru F (student) visa ! help !!

HI,

My sister is going to apply for me for my greencard under relatives category. I think , this application may take 10-12 yrs time . I want to know, in between this time, may i enter USA taking student visa (F visa)? Will the embassy issue me the if i fulfil all the requirement?

In the trave.state.gov website, i found, they said, one of the criteria to get F visa is to convince them as if i will return to my home country?

Now any suggestion from seniors?

Last edited by a moderator:
thank u

Thank u triple citizen.

Then whatz ur suggestion? what may i do? i need to try for US visa , should i apply for F visa first? Then after some time i will ask my sister to apply for my Greencard ?

In 214(b) i found, it means i need to convince the counselor whether i will return to my home country or not. But applying for a greencard means i have an intention to live permanently in USA. Besides my parents are also greencard holder of US.

So, please advise me, what to do?

Thank u triple citizen.

Then whatz ur suggestion? what may i do? i need to try for US visa , should i apply for F visa first? Then after some time i will ask my sister to apply for my Greencard ?

In 214(b) i found, it means i need to convince the counselor whether i will return to my home country or not. But applying for a greencard means i have an intention to live permanently in USA. Besides my parents are also greencard holder of US.

So, please advise me, what to do?

If you are a serious student, it may be just as well to seek immigration via employment based on a good education rather than through a sibling.

It is true that your USC sibling can file an I-130 and it would take 10 to 12 years (sometimes longer) to get a visa. Depending on what course of study you take and just how far along you are towards a degree, you probably could convince a Consular Officer to issue a student visa early on in the I-130 waiting period, especially if the I-130 indicates you plan to seek Consular Processing for that visa when the time comes. Is it worth the bother? Will you be able to parlay an F-1 student visa into a 17 month OPT and then an H1-B work visa and then an employment based immigrant visa? If you could pursue BOTH that would be great. IF you ever get to the point of attaining and H1-B then you would have "dual intent" and the immigrant intent issue is no more. IF you can manage to get there, then you could jump on EITHER an FB-4 (sibling) or an EB (2 or 3 most likely), whichever became "current" first.

Consider your choices carefully. Remember that "Failing to Plan" usually equals "Planning to Fail".

I need some guidance from you guys regarding my future plans. Seniors like TripleCitizen and Bigzoe5 replied me in different questions. I need your help to show me a way out.

Right now I am in the UK pursuing my MSc degree in Newcastle Upon Tyne. I applied for a B2 visitor visa to USA from London. My parents are US LPR, sister is USC. I mentioned all the info in the visa application. I got B1/ B2 visa from London. Arrived JFK on March 26, didnt asked any more questions by officer and granted 6 month validity in my I-94. Left USA after 17 days to return UK. After my MSc course finish, I will go back to Bangladesh.

I like to join my family in the USA (to be truthful to you). I am married. I didn't find it a better way to request my sister to file a petition for me and wait for 12 years to enter there. I didn't show my immigrant intent when I faced B visa interview (no petition filed for me). I like to obtain a Phd after my Masters in the USA. Since my B visa is valid until 2018, So I think, i can be granted a F visa, I can go there, bring my family to the USA. Is a student visa and post study employment is a good way thru immigration?

Now, is this a good plan for me to join my family in the USA? If my sister file a petition for me , I think my whole process will be endangered. Is it right?

Or I can ask my sister to file a petition for me? After that, I can apply for F visa. As I already once returned from the USA, It will carry weight for my F visa to be granted.

I know, filing a immigration petition always increases risk for B or F visas to be refused. But in the US I met some persons who went there on B2 visa although they have already filed immigration petition ( and they were granted :rolleyes:)

This is a huge contradiction between immigrant petition and B/F visa. I am now in a trouble. If I want to proceed with a F visa option (without any petition), at what stage I could file the immigrant petition? Or is it entirely difficult to continue both with a F visa and a petition?

A petition for brother by a USC needs approximately 12-15 years. My intention is to complete my phd (it will take 5 yrs ) and then not to wait for long time to get my greencard there.

Which option you prefer ? I need your suggestion.

I need some guidance from you guys regarding my future plans. Seniors like TripleCitizen and Bigzoe5 replied me in different questions. I need your help to show me a way out.

Right now I am in the UK pursuing my MSc degree in Newcastle Upon Tyne. I applied for a B2 visitor visa to USA from London. My parents are US LPR, sister is USC. I mentioned all the info in the visa application. I got B1/ B2 visa from London. Arrived JFK on March 26, didnt asked any more questions by officer and granted 6 month validity in my I-94. Left USA after 17 days to return UK. After my MSc course finish, I will go back to Bangladesh.

I like to join my family in the USA (to be truthful to you). I am married. I didn't find it a better way to request my sister to file a petition for me and wait for 12 years to enter there. I didn't show my immigrant intent when I faced B visa interview (no petition filed for me). I like to obtain a Phd after my Masters in the USA. Since my B visa is valid until 2018, So I think, i can be granted a F visa, I can go there, bring my family to the USA. Is a student visa and post study employment is a good way thru immigration?

Now, is this a good plan for me to join my family in the USA? If my sister file a petition for me , I think my whole process will be endangered. Is it right?

Or I can ask my sister to file a petition for me? After that, I can apply for F visa. As I already once returned from the USA, It will carry weight for my F visa to be granted.

I know, filing a immigration petition always increases risk for B or F visas to be refused. But in the US I met some persons who went there on B2 visa although they have already filed immigration petition ( and they were granted :rolleyes:)

This is a huge contradiction between immigrant petition and B/F visa. I am now in a trouble. If I want to proceed with a F visa option (without any petition), at what stage I could file the immigrant petition? Or is it entirely difficult to continue both with a F visa and a petition?

A petition for brother by a USC needs approximately 12-15 years. My intention is to complete my phd (it will take 5 yrs ) and then not to wait for long time to get my greencard there.

Which option you prefer ? I need your suggestion.

Apply for an F1 visa and start your PhD studies in US. Chances are you'll qualify for employment based visa long before your sibling's petition is granted. If you want to do both, I'd say be on the safe side and wait about 6 months to a year before filing the family based petition. You have to be convincing that you are bona fide working on your PhD.