Cable clearance sent from DOS to Consulate - What next?

Chennai AFU

I've no Idea why they want me to appear again. But all they have asked this time is DS156, 157, a photo and supporting documents. The email specifically says that the passport is retained with them. Wud they retain the passport if they have decided not to approve the Visa? Also, I dont know why they want these papers again when I've already submitted them once? Hard to say what its about.. but looking forward for the interview.

mar_case said:
I called DOS twice today. Both people told me that my case is pending. They refused to tell me futher information. Last week, I was told that the clearance has not been sent. Interviewed in May.

Jane

In my fiance's case, when I used to call DOS, Everytime they behaved like that and refused to give me any information was when the clearences were sent to embassy and embassy was in the process of reviewing them. You should call the embassy and get a status. Usually it means that either a visa is being issued out after the review or it going to be sent for another clearance.... which clearance is it for you? 2nd, 3rd, 4th?

Sanna

Application Status

In my opinion, it is impossible to get the actual status of your application as DOS and the Embassy never give you real status of what's happening with your case.

The only authorized things they can tell clients is:

1. PENDING
2. APPROVED
3. VISA ISSUED

Pending means you have to wait (How long?....nobody knows including them).

Approved means you are just a week away of receiving back your passport with a printed visa in it OR a week away from being called in by the Embassy to deliver your passport so they print your visa.

Visa Issued mean you will get your passport in a day or two if it is laying with the Embassy.

You can know nothing more. Hope this helps.

Bonapart

I kind of hoping Sanna is right. Two weeks ago, I called DOS and the lady clearly told me Embassy requested for clearance in May and the clearance was not issued. She said usually the clearance takes 3 to 6 months but could up to 18 months or even longer. One week ago, I called twice and was told the case was pending, no further information could be provided. So I hope my husband's first clearance has arrived firally. I wrote e-amil to US Embassy in Isalamabad last night but there is no response. Maybe it is because of earthquake. The Embassy respond email regularyly and quickly before. Sanna and Bonapart, thank you !

Calling DOS does not really give much information. But here's what I had learnt from my interaction with them :

1. They can only tell you if the case is still pending or a response has been sent back to the embassy.
2. Having said that, they also have access to another database that contains information on when the next review is scheduled for your application. Not all of them are willing get that information for you. I was told that when a case is pending, they review it at certain intervals and decide if they've done enough to send a response back to the embassy. The embassy then decides if they want to request DOS for another clearance. Their premise is that by the time they receive a clearance, the databases have been updated and they need to run the checks again, atleast for common names like mine it's more likely. The person I used to get most information from was Shawn.

I had to wait for 9 months and I did everything I could to expedite or get more information but it was all futile. Well, only positive thing was that it kept me busy and some expectations going. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from trying to get more information... Someone told me in the beginning, unless you are a terrorist or have some criminal record, you will get your visa done, its just a matter of time, and there's nothing you can do about it.

I hope all of you get it done much sooner than me.

Regards,
Ali

Hi Ali,
Im one another victim suffering due to common name.
Also my brief employment in Middle east about 8 years ago also matters.
Which consulate did you apply.
I'm H1B 7th year extension. My I-797 expires 1st week of this December.
Donno what is going to be the outcome if my Visa is not approved by that time. Honestly I am keeping my Hopes down considering the slow pace the case is moving.
There should be some considerations for People who have worked this long and willing to return back to US to continue for employment.
How a person who is on 7th year extension, whose Parents are sick and need urgent help should be able to cope up this situation. This has to improve..
Sad, we are the victims and surely this will imporve over the years.

NIVVictim said:
Calling DOS does not really give much information. But here's what I had learnt from my interaction with them :

1. They can only tell you if the case is still pending or a response has been sent back to the embassy.
2. Having said that, they also have access to another database that contains information on when the next review is scheduled for your application. Not all of them are willing get that information for you. I was told that when a case is pending, they review it at certain intervals and decide if they've done enough to send a response back to the embassy. The embassy then decides if they want to request DOS for another clearance. Their premise is that by the time they receive a clearance, the databases have been updated and they need to run the checks again, atleast for common names like mine it's more likely. The person I used to get most information from was Shawn.

I had to wait for 9 months and I did everything I could to expedite or get more information but it was all futile. Well, only positive thing was that it kept me busy and some expectations going. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from trying to get more information... Someone told me in the beginning, unless you are a terrorist or have some criminal record, you will get your visa done, its just a matter of time, and there's nothing you can do about it.

I hope all of you get it done much sooner than me.

Regards,
Ali

Hi,
While my H1B (7th year) is pending in US Consulate, my I-797 petition expires on 1st week of December. Can my US employer continue to pay me beyond December?
Do they need to remove me from Payroll.
- JRFF.

Update on Administrative Processing time..

Dear Fellows,

Got an update on my case. This forum has been very helpful to get information and the only supportive thing we can have during the tough times when nothing else is available. Heres summary.

4th Aug - 1st interview
5th Aug - gave fingerprints and was told needs Admin processing and may take a abt a month
6th Oct - Got an email from Chennai's AFU that I need to appear any Monday with DS156, DS157, photo and supporting docs
17th Oct - Appeared with docs and visa approved
19th Oct - Got passport with Visa

I wish all you folks good luck and hope this helps

Passport Received

The wait is finally over! I got my passport today with the visa stamped. Its a 5 years B1/B2 visa with multiple entries. The annotation says " Clearance Received - 21 July 2005". It took 6 months for administrativate processing. My Interview happened on 24th March 05. This is the very first time I applied for US visa.

I read on forums and other websites that clearances for US visas are valid for 1 year and the only exception is F1 visas, where the validity is for full course of study. I may be wrong but I am very happy that they gave me 5 years multiple visa very first time.

Hope you all get your visas soon.

Bonapart

clearance received what next?

I just don't get it. Bonapart, your clearance was received on July 21 but visa was issued almost three months later? I am almost crazy while waiting for my husband to come to US.

Clearance

It is always the consular officer who adjudicates a case (the one who interviews you). No one else has power to do it, even your states representative. Visa issuance time after they get clearance from Washington is different from one applicant to another based on the local clearances. I have read articles about some clearance requests given to local authorities by the embassy where the applicant lives (like good character, authenticity of living and and working address, affiliations of applicant, genuineness of documents submitted, past history, etc). Once they get a clear signal from local unit (which they refer to as embassys internal investigations and administrative processing), they will issue the visa. I have also read on some embassy websites where they clearly write that they receive many applications with fake documents and the decision making time significantly increases on those applciations, which sometimes creates delays for genuine applicants too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the only thing we can do is to wait. I am 100% sure that my husband's clearance has reached to Embassy and now they are doing internal stuffs.

DOS status

I called DOS today and was told that my husband's final clearance has not been issued yet. Last week I was told Embassy got all the information. So I hope it is the last time for the clearance waiting. When she said final, does it mean really final or not?! I am so annoyed after waiting for more than 5 years. The stupid thing is we delayed one year to apply for visa for him because we though it would be quick. My husband's name is not as that common as those of Ali or Mohamod, I don't know why Islambad embassy asks for it again and again. The eamil Embassy answered for my inquirying saying:

"We understand that you are frustrated with the length of time it takes
for an Immigrant Visa case to be processed. However, as we are sure
you understand, we must follow diligently all U.S. immigration law and
regulations in processing each case."

This is the best thread on 221(g) and thanks to Anis and all the people who posted there experiances.

I am a silent reader of all threads on 221(g) additional admin processing.

Finally my wife got US Visa. A Letter has been sent to my wife to attend for personal interview for US visa. Consulate did some sort of enquiry on my H1 document (i.e. Depart of Labor).

This is what happed in my case:
Query on PEO-Relationship of HR company ( I answer with a letter from both companies but they are not satisfied and issued 221(g) letter).
 Attended consulate on June 30, 2005 and July 05, 2005
 I contact Senator on August 05, 2005 with an explanation letter of my case.
 Senator Office has requested Chennai consulate to look into my case. (3rd week of August).
 Chennai Consulate sent a letter to Senator Office that they are waiting for some other document from applicant.
 On August 24, 2005 Chennai consulate did a congressional enquiry on HIb holder and waiting for review from Depart of Labor.
 With help of Attorney we had send an additional document at the end of October.
 On November 16, 2005 consulate received a review from DOL.
 My wife received a letter from consulate on November 21, 2005 to attend for a personal interview on any Monday before 9 am.
 Visa Officer just asked only Current Year pay stubs and issued visa.

** You all need to contact Department of state about your case status and register with International Visitors Office.

International Visitors office - How to register.

Please share the information on
How to register with International Visitors office to overcome the Visa delay.

Regards,
JRFF.

221g

JRFF said:
Waiting for 2+ months in Chennai Consulate.

Well if your papers are correct then you will get your visa, I know it is a pain to wait long, it took 5 months for me to get the visa. Hope you get yours soon.